PDA

View Full Version : Bristle Blocks?

lhafer
06-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Anyone have these? Legos weren't a huge hit with my 5yr old DD, and I thought should would like these. I read some reviews on the "new" bristle blocks called Krinkles now, and they weren't stellar reviews. Many reviewers said they didn't stick together well (that's the point right?!?!).

Just wondering who had them and how do you like them?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bristle+blocks&sprefix=bristle+blocks

hellokitty
06-07-2011, 07:23 PM
We have some and my kids liked them ok (they like making vehicles, so the wheels were important), BUT they didn't enjoy playing with them once they made something, b/c it would fall apart. Have you tried kids knex or trio? DS2 had difficulty with lego and trio filled in the gap beautifully and he still plays with them, even though he now has the hang of lego. It think trio is great for ages 4-5+ and quite honestly I did not think we would like the trio. A friend gave it to my boys as a xmas gift and I thought, "oh great, another building toy with a gazillion pieces," but they loved it so much, I bought a few more sets to build up their collection so the older two could both play w/o running out of parts.

lhafer
06-07-2011, 07:40 PM
We have some and my kids liked them ok (they like making vehicles, so the wheels were important), BUT they didn't enjoy playing with them once they made something, b/c it would fall apart. Have you tried kids knex or trio? DS2 had difficulty with lego and trio filled in the gap beautifully and he still plays with them, even though he now has the hang of lego. It think trio is great for ages 4-5+ and quite honestly I did not think we would like the trio. A friend gave it to my boys as a xmas gift and I thought, "oh great, another building toy with a gazillion pieces," but they loved it so much, I bought a few more sets to build up their collection so the older two could both play w/o running out of parts.

I looked at Trio when I was looking at legos. Actually I went with Duplo first (this was when she was 4) because I didn't want the tiny Legos if she wasn't going to play with them (I have a 15 month old as well - have to look out for choking hazards). I ruled them out because everyone I talked to said they were for the younger crowd and that she probably wouldn't enjoy them.

I am just looking for some toys to help her imagination grow. She didn't dig Duplos (or legos). She likes blocks okay, but doesn't really "build" stuff. She does the tower, knocks it over. I've thought about Playmobil - but I'm afraid of it being a bust as well.

She's 5, hyperactive, has the attention span of a gnat, but does love to color/paint/do arts and crafts. But after a while I am so sick of dealing with paint, water colors, etc. Plus when she catches on that I have thrown some of it away she gets upset (I keep the good stuff). I only have so much room to store her art work - plus I have to keep the stuff from school. She's not really into playing with Barbies (at least not yet) and prefers stuffed animals to baby dolls. I got her a Bitty Twin (just one), and she's meh about it. But she LOVES her stuffed animals. And she likes zoo animals (can be plastic) and she plays with those a lot too. And her favorite animal is a unicorn.

I would love some imaginative toy suggestions...

Should I try a playmobil zoo or safari maybe???

hellokitty
06-07-2011, 10:09 PM
She may very well love playmobil stuff. I have to admit that as a child, I loved that sort of thing. I think it is geared more towards girls and they way they do imaginative play. My boys like to build stuff and then imaginary play with that, but it seems that some kids just don't like building stuff, but they like imaginary play. So things like playmobil, a doll/tree house would be perfect for that kind of play. I have a friend whose son HATES building things, she got rid of their lego and geotrax, b/c he just would not touch them at all. HOWEVER, he LOVES playmobil stuff and imaginative play with other figurines, etc..

bubbaray
06-07-2011, 10:18 PM
We had a set from Costco, just recently gave them to our daycare. They never got played with here. My kids preferred Lego.

crl
06-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Apparently I have the only 7 year old boy in the planet who does not like Legos. His unit blocks have gotten daily play for nearly two years now though--with some play before that as well. He builds buses and cars and houses and classrooms and the American Idol stage and . . . . . And I have a 14 month old so I am thrilled that his unit blocks are not choking hazards and dd can bang around on them too.

Catherine

firemama
06-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Have you tried these B. Bristle Block Stackaroos (http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=17609700&)? I just ran into BBB tonight and saw these. I don't think I saw them at my Target, but I also wasn't looking for them. I also happened to notice the Zany Zoo at BBB, so I have to go back to see if it is the same price as Target and might use a coupon!

There are also B. Bristle Block Spinaroos, they are little people. The Stackaroos and Spinaroos both got good reviews on Amazon.