PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new stroller? Help me decide

anonomom
06-07-2011, 06:10 PM
So, here's the situation. I am expecting my third child in August. When he arrives, DD1 will be 5 (no longer using a stroller) and DD2 will be almost exactly 2.5. I am trying to decide (a) whether I need a double stroller at all, and (2) if so, which to buy.

Here's my current inventory:

1. Baby Trend Snap N Go -- bought in 2006 when DD1 was brand new. We've used the heck out of that thing and are fully prepared to keep using it. I love that it's lightweight, easy to fold and has a cupholder and huge basket.

2. Maclaren single (the cheapest version) -- Bought at TJ Maxx when DD2 was around 5 months old. Used for trips to the mall and occasional walks around the neighborhood, though DD2 can get herself out of the harness and frequently does.

3. Joovy Caboose Ultralight -- 2007 model purchased dirt-cheap last year. Used only for trips to the Zoo or Disney. Older model, where the front-seat recline means that older kid cannot ride on the back and has to stand. Relatively speaking, this thing is is large and kind of a pain to use for your average mall trip. I think it came with a car-seat adapter, but I'm not certain.

At this point, I'm just trying to decide if DD2 has enough time left using a stroller to justify buying a double. We loaned out the Mac three weeks ago, and haven't missed it much. But I feel like I at least need the option of having her contained while I'm dealing with the baby. And she is neither old nor trustworthy enough that I will willingly go shopping or anything like that without a stroller.

My criteria would be: relatively lightweight, easy to fold, good basket and preferably not too expensive (won't be buying the new Britax, cool though it is). I'm hoping to test drive the Chicco Cortina double because we're considering a Chicco car seat.

What do you all think? Do I need a double? Should I use the Snap & Go for the first few months and then decide? And if you think I should buy a new stroller, do you have a good recommendation?

arivecchi
06-07-2011, 10:51 PM
WIth that gap, I would say you definitely need a double. SO nice to be able to contain the toddler while you are changing or feeding the baby.

I would recommend a Baby Jogger City Mini Double. Lightweight, separate canopies and full recline so no need for a car seat.

georgiegirl
06-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Ditto the bjcmd suggestion. Sounds exactly like what you need.

anonomom
06-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Looking into one now... thanks!

arivecchi
06-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Albee Baby has them on sale.