PDA

View Full Version : What does your ESY (extended school year) look like?

snowbunnies300
06-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Thursday is our last day of school. The following Monday the boys start ESY for three weeks (M-Thur) 8-11:30 ish (can't remember exactly the end time). Then DS1 and DS2 have two weeks in July and another 2 weeks in Aug. Curious what everyone does through their school district.

mariza
06-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Disregard my previous post. I was in "latest" view mode and responded before realizing this was a special needs post. I was thinking snow days!

sariana
06-07-2011, 08:06 PM
DS won't be eligible for ESY this summer, but he attended the previous two summers. Two years ago it started the first full week after school ended and lasted 4 weeks. Last summer it started on July 7 (DS reminded me of this, as it was his 6th birthday) and again lasted 4 weeks. IIRC, it was all five days. I think the school day was around 4 hours, but I'm not sure about that. (I know it started way too early last year: 7:45 a.m.!)

I have seen info on the district web site that this year's ESY will be only 4 days a week (M-Th).

There is an August session for children with severe issues, but DS never qualified for that. I think the district wants to/is required to provide continuous services for children with severe needs so that they do not regress.