PDA

View Full Version : Toddler plus infant plus stylish diaper bag?

philyre
06-07-2011, 08:18 PM
So, I have a nearly two year old and am expecting another little boy this fall, and our diaper bag (a Caden Lane hobo) is falling apart at the seams, literally. I am looking for a bag that is really cute and can also accommodate two little people and all their accoutrements, and would love advice to make sure I'm considering all the right options.

My requirements:

fashionable cute look, should not obviously look like a diaper bag. (DW is also into girly bags so I figure I should take advantage of the fact that we have two parents who will both carry a cute purse looking diaper bag.)
big enough to haul a lot! Besides the fact that there will be two kids soon, my diaper bag style is to have it packed with a spare outfit and a sweater and a sun hat and bunch of snacks and lots of diapers and wipes and a novel for me and a book for the toddler and anything else I can imagine needing, so that I can just leave the house secure that we're set for all eventualities. I also do not want to carry a separate purse for me. Basically, it needs to be Mary Poppins-esque.
lots and lots of compartments! This is the big failing of our current diaper bag, besides that it was not particularly good quality.
we're disposable diapers users, but the space economizing aspect of that is probably offset by the fact that I tend to cram a lot of diapers in the bag so as not to have to restock that often.
DS1 is on straw cups of milk and a shared water bottle with parents, and DS2 will hopefully be breastfed if all works out but will also be toted around by the nonlactating parent in either case.
I would prefer a shoulder bag, though if it's convertible and also can go across the body that's even awesomer. DW prefers if they don't have super-skinny round straps (like on the Petunia Picklebottom Weekender), I don't like the super-wide strap that some messenger bags have.
Able to be cleaned (washed!) and good quality.

We'd been seriously considering the Skip Hop Studio Tote, but would love to know what else there is out there that works for someone who wants a big bag! Edited: I think we are no longer considering it due to the spot-clean only nature, which has been driving me crazy with current diaper bag, so I really need some ideas!

philyre
06-08-2011, 01:09 AM
I really like the features of the Ju Ju Be bags, but I am not sure which is the right size for a two kid bag packed by someone who errs on the side of packing more. Is the Be Prepared overkill? I like the Be Fabulous best looks-wise, but I'm not wild about the way it zips open on the side because it seems like a lot of stuff would spill out, and also that it might be too small.

My concern about the Skip Hop Studio Tote is the lack of adjustable straps and the fact that in an ideal world we'd have a bag that could be worn cross-body as well as over the shoulder. Also, just encountered info that it is to be spot-cleaned only and I think that is a big NO. We go out to the beach and park a lot and bags get dirty, and I really want to be able to wash the whole bag. Drat. Asthetically, it really wins big though!

Momto1
06-08-2011, 11:16 AM
I'd recommend a JJB - the BFF or BeFab seem like they would be good for you. I have a 2-year old and the BFF is too big for my everyday needs, but would be perfect for a 2-year old and a newborn. The BeAll is also a good choice, but I don't have experience with the All. The PackaBe holds more than the BFF, but doesn't have as many useful compartments.

If you like organization and want something that isn't going to fall apart (and is machine washable!!), JJBs are awesome.

Momto1
06-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Oh - the BePrepared is huge! It's good if you're a major overpacker, but not good if you actually want to carry it. I use mine as luggage for me and DD for overnight/weekend trips - that's how big it is :)

The zippers/gussets on the BeFabulous are set up so that things don't spill out on the sides when you open it. You're right that it might be too small for an overpacker with two LOs. I know a lot of mamas carry a smaller bag (like a BFF/BeFab) and then leave the extras in the car.

Have you seen JuJuBe's Pink Room forum? They have an "in real life" gallery that you can check out to see how each of the bags pack.

artvandalay
06-08-2011, 11:23 AM
I just got a Skip Hop Versa and I think it's wonderful. I have 3 kids, so I'm always lugging around stuff and it holds quite a bit. It has adjustable straps and plenty of pockets (I love the 4 outer pockets). Definitely big enough for a baby and toddler. I keep diapers, small wipes case in the zippered back part where the changing pad is so that I have more room ont the inside. It has stroller clips but one of my favorite things is that the stroller clips let you put the bag on the back of any chair when you're out to dinner.

I got the all black so I don't have to worry about it looking dirty. I was using a JJB Behave previous to this bag, and it didn't hold as much and it was pretty heavy when full.

artvandalay
06-08-2011, 11:27 AM
I really want to be able to wash the whole bag. Drat. Asthetically, it really wins big though!

Oh.. sorry.. Just saw this. I do not think you can wash the Versa so that might not work for you. The material does look easy to spot clean, and like I said, because it's black I can't imagine it showing dirt.

philyre
06-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Skip Hop Versa is really cute, but I think that the not-washing would be problematic for us in the long run, just as it was with the Caden Lane bag we have now. It's dark brown, so it really doesn't show most dirt, but we manage to get into exceptional situations and it's pretty filthy looking now. I don't plan on washing the whole bag OFTEN, but I do want the option every once in a while when a mud puddle happens. (My toddler is exceptionally dirty and exceptionally excited about moving the bag around.)

Are there any other lines that machine wash besides the JJB?

I might try ordering the Be Fabulous and see how it works out, size wise. What is the next up in size? I agree the Be Prepared might be a bit much until we have kids #3 and 4... at that point though I might really need something cavernously huge.

philyre
06-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Momto1 - I'm going to get the Be Fabulous and see how it works out with a hypothetical packing scenario where we are including the crap for a second kid. I really like the way it looks and am hoping it will be big enough for us. If not, I think we'll try for a slightly bigger bag. Looking at the Be Prepared in detail makes me think it will be good when our family has reached completion, but it'll be too big for us right now since I actually want to take the bag with us everywhere.

I'm not a big fan of stashing things in the car as we have a cozy early 90s honda civic and our trunk leaks (we live in the pacific northwest!) so car stashing is very very very limited in utility. We do have an extra diaper in the glovebox along with the extra tampon, and we have a juicebox or two under the seat, but that is it.

Momto1
06-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Momto1 - I'm going to get the Be Fabulous and see how it works out with a hypothetical packing scenario where we are including the crap for a second kid. I really like the way it looks and am hoping it will be big enough for us. If not, I think we'll try for a slightly bigger bag. Looking at the Be Prepared in detail makes me think it will be good when our family has reached completion, but it'll be too big for us right now since I actually want to take the bag with us everywhere.

I'm not a big fan of stashing things in the car as we have a cozy early 90s honda civic and our trunk leaks (we live in the pacific northwest!) so car stashing is very very very limited in utility. We do have an extra diaper in the glovebox along with the extra tampon, and we have a juicebox or two under the seat, but that is it.

I hope the BeFabulous works for you! I'm thinking it might actually be enough for you since you're using disposables. You can stash your older LO's sippy on one of the side pockets, which will save some room on the inside as well. Which color were you looking at?

philyre
06-10-2011, 01:53 AM
I ordered it in the brown with teal -- somehow the floral prints are just Too Much for me, even on the lining. The black and pink is also very cute, but I just am more of a brown-purse girl. It might just work out, and I really hope it does, because it seems like the best intersection of cute and practical!

mom2khj
06-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Hope you like it! I was not a JJB fan prior to DS. I had tried the BeTween and one other that I can't remember and I hated them.

I have the BeHip for DS and I love it. Best diaper bag I've ever had. I loved my Skip Hop Dash for it's functionality, but hated all the prints. Now I have functionality AND a fun/pretty print! :)

AnnieW625
06-10-2011, 06:30 PM
I love my Ju Ju Be Be Spicy, which I bought just prior to having DD2 in April, 2010. I am not a fan of most of the JJB prints, but I really like the one I ended up chosing, Lotus Lullaby. Hope you enjoy your new bag:) .

ahrimie
06-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Oh.. sorry.. Just saw this. I do not think you can wash the Versa so that might not work for you. The material does look easy to spot clean, and like I said, because it's black I can't imagine it showing dirt.

Why can't this bag be washed in the washer?

philyre
06-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Why can't this bag be washed in the washer?

I think it's the fact that the faux leather on the skip hop bags is not machine washable... in any case, the care instructions for both the Versa and the Studio Tote (the two I think are mega-cute) say "spot clean only" at least at vendors websites (e.g. Target). That's a dealbreaker for me, regretfully, so if anyone knows differently and feels strongly that these Skip Hop bags CAN be machine washed, I would loooove to know about it.

http://www.skiphop.com/customercare/faq.html
Skip Hop does advertise that their CANVAS bags can be machine washed but it seems like neither the Versa or the Studio Tote qualify. I was confused by that at first, too, and I have some posts on this forum to thank for keeping me from purchasing the wrong bag for us and realizing it only after a big mess happens!

philyre
06-14-2011, 04:31 PM
The Lotus Lullaby is the only print at JJB currently that I like -- good choice!

Do you find the Be Spicy tippy, and is it hard to rummage to find what you need in such a tall bag?

AnnieW625
06-14-2011, 05:02 PM
The Lotus Lullaby is the only print at JJB currently that I like -- good choice!

Do you find the Be Spicy tippy, and is it hard to rummage to find what you need in such a tall bag?

I don't really find the Be Spicy tippy, but it did take me a bit to get it loaded up where it felt balanced weight wise.

Sometimes I do find that things get lost in there a a little bit, but for the most part as long as I keep the bottles/cups in the holders and my stuff in the mom pocket then things are less likely to get lost, but I have found a lipstick, and a few tampons in the bottom of the bag from the weekend use and I don't want to know how long they've been in there. Thankfully DCP+helpers have never said anything.

ahrimie
06-14-2011, 06:34 PM
I think it's the fact that the faux leather on the skip hop bags is not machine washable... in any case, the care instructions for both the Versa and the Studio Tote (the two I think are mega-cute) say "spot clean only" at least at vendors websites (e.g. Target). That's a dealbreaker for me, regretfully, so if anyone knows differently and feels strongly that these Skip Hop bags CAN be machine washed, I would loooove to know about it.

FWIW I've washed many other bags in the wash even though they say you can't, like my Longchamp tote with real leather handles. I think I will just try to wash mine when/if it needs to.

philyre
06-17-2011, 01:21 AM
So, the Be Fabulous is totally fabulous and I really love it, and would greatly enjoy having it as the diaper bag for my son... but I'm pretty sure it is just not big enough for a second kid's worth of stuff to be added in. I'm going to try to do a mock-up packing of an infant's stuff tomorrow to see if I can somehow squeeze things in, but I am pretty sure that it's going to be a bit too small, since it seems "just right" for one kid and mom stuff.

So, what's the next step? I know the Be Prepared is huuuge but I think we might want something more in the middle, Goldilocks-style.

philyre
06-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Just wanted to update that I ended up getting the Be Prepared just to see how big it is after all and it is the perfect size for us! It's able to accomodate all of the one-kid and mom stuff and my enormous water bottle and lunch for everyone, and there's still room for a second kid's worth of clothing and diapers, too. It's been awesome on outings thus far, including for trips to the beach (a muddier, more heavily clothed experience for us than most because we're not talking beaches in California). I am not finding the whole loaded thing too heavy even at 5 months pregnant... I think it does help that I'm six feet tall and pretty strapping in build so that it's not a bag that really overwhelms me in size, even though it is big. I also don't have it jam-packed full, and don't think that an infant's stuff will even get it to the too-enormously-huge stage.

The down side is that it looks very much like a diaper bag, but it's at least a cute diaper bag and I've gotten a bunch of compliments on it thus far!

mackmama
06-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Just wanted to update that I ended up getting the Be Prepared just to see how big it is after all and it is the perfect size for us! It's able to accomodate all of the one-kid and mom stuff and my enormous water bottle and lunch for everyone, and there's still room for a second kid's worth of clothing and diapers, too. It's been awesome on outings thus far, including for trips to the beach (a muddier, more heavily clothed experience for us than most because we're not talking beaches in California). I am not finding the whole loaded thing too heavy even at 5 months pregnant... I think it does help that I'm six feet tall and pretty strapping in build so that it's not a bag that really overwhelms me in size, even though it is big. I also don't have it jam-packed full, and don't think that an infant's stuff will even get it to the too-enormously-huge stage.

The down side is that it looks very much like a diaper bag, but it's at least a cute diaper bag and I've gotten a bunch of compliments on it thus far!

Glad you love it! I have the Be Prepared also and really like it. I have it in the shadow waltz print. What print did you get? I do find it a bit heavy when fully loaded, so I mainly keep it in my car and then have smaller Be Quicks that I take out and put in the stroller or carry.

philyre
06-25-2011, 02:06 AM
I got the Lotus Lullaby. I was debating the solid brown with the blue trim as well, especially because it might tone down the diaper-bagness, but then I thought it might just make it less of a CUTE diaper bag. Also, the solids seemed like they might not work as well given the largeness of the bag and the teflon fabric. I'd love to see what the brown/blue looks like in person, though!

mackmama
06-25-2011, 01:17 PM
I got the Lotus Lullaby. I was debating the solid brown with the blue trim as well, especially because it might tone down the diaper-bagness, but then I thought it might just make it less of a CUTE diaper bag. Also, the solids seemed like they might not work as well given the largeness of the bag and the teflon fabric. I'd love to see what the brown/blue looks like in person, though!

I have the brown/blue in the BFF. It's a nice and subtle color combo. If the brown was a much darker brown, I think it'd look nice on the BePrepared but, as it is, I think a print works better on the larger BePrepared. I like the LL print - I bet it looks great on the BP.