PDA

View Full Version : When did you stop carrying your diaper bag?

LoveBeingMrs
06-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Now that most of DS' friends are over 1 year old, I've noticed that their moms have stopped carrying around diaper bags. Most of them carry around a small backpack for their DC (i.e. Skip Hop Zoo Pack (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C30SAA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002C30S96&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BTC4S92BZXGTDGZR3AH)), and a purse for themselves. Just curious as to when you stopped using your diaper bag? I really like mine, so I would like to use it for as long as possible! :p

LMPC
06-08-2011, 08:35 AM
I think around 18 mos I transitioned over to a smaller bag. I liked the room a diaper bag had for my wallet, etc.

weech
06-08-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm curious about this too. We started carrying DS's cooler bag and throwing some diapers in it recently because we don't need a big diaper bag... but would a 1 year old really wear a backpack? I don't think mine would :rotflmao:

SnuggleBuggles
06-08-2011, 08:42 AM
12-18m, iirc. I preferred a small bag always and one that was my own style. Mind, you, my oldest is almost 9 and you all don't know how lucky you are to have so many cute diaper bag options!!

Beth

LoveBeingMrs
06-08-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm just not sure what has changed that they no longer need their diaper bags! :p Formula to milk?? Less diapers needed?

DietCokeLover
06-08-2011, 09:22 AM
I had two in diapers for a long time, so I carried mine til my oldest was potty trained. Then, I switched to a smaller diaper bag til DS was pt'd.

BabyBearsMom
06-08-2011, 09:38 AM
If DD and I are just going out for a quick errand, I bring my regular purse and throw a diaper and a couple of wipes in a plasticy baggy. If we are going to be eating anywhere though, I bring the bag. Between the bib, the sippy, the pre-food snacks, the wipes, the pre-food toys, I need the big bag.

emily
06-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Oddly enough, I stopped when we had DC2. DC1 was still in dipes. I just kept a stocked diaper bag in the car and put a couple of dipes and wipes in my bag.

Now that DC1 is out of dipes, we just stuff dipes/wipes in the cooler bag with the milk/water/snacks. I'm looking forward to not having to schlep the cooler bag everywhere.

arivecchi
06-08-2011, 10:40 AM
I have a Skip Hop Studio and I still use that all the time. It has stroller clips so it's perfect to just hang off the stroller. I also need to keep diapers for my 2 yo and wipes for both the 2 and 4 yo. We always carry snacks and I like to carry them in this bag so that my nice handbags do not get dirty with crumbs, etc.

ahrimie
06-08-2011, 11:28 AM
I think around 18 months or so too, when you don't need diapers as often and no more bottles. I carry around the LV Speedy, med, so it's pretty roomy. I can fit wipes, diapers, along with a drink and snack too. I only need a wallet, lip balm, and keys for myself.

okinawama
06-08-2011, 11:49 AM
I did very shortly after I no longer needed bottles, so around 14 months. I did switch back to a large purse and was able to fit a diaper, some snacks and a toy or two. I kept a larger supply of things in the car just in case, but I never felt unprepared.

LearningAsWeGo
06-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I prefer a big purse or a more purse style bag when I feel like I really need to bring a lot of stuff (either MZ Wallace Kate or Skip Hop Studio) and just carry my normal purse (which is medium - large size) most of the time and keep diaper changing essentials in the car. I can't recall the last time I had to change a diaper when I was out and about.

My kids wouldn't have worn backpacks at 1 - I would have ended up carrying them! But, now, we can toss backpacks in the stroller basket if we're out for a long time.

MommyAllison
06-08-2011, 12:42 PM
I still carry mine, and have ever since DD was born, but am definitely one of the only ones among other moms with similarly aged kids. I've been thinking about switching back to just my messenger bag and keeping a small bag w/change of clothes for DS in the car...we'll see. In the fall I'll have a newborn again, so back to diaper bag. So much of what I carry in the diaper bag, we really use often (wipes to clean hands, sunscreen, bandaids/bruise balm/healing balm, coloring pages & crayons, having space for 3-4 Klean Kanteens, plus all of my stuff). I have Skip Hop messenger style bags, so they don't "feel" baby-bag ish to me.

longtallsally05
06-08-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm just not sure what has changed that they no longer need their diaper bags! :p Formula to milk?? Less diapers needed?

For me, it was when my children stopped needing all those extra diapers, blankets and changes of clothing. So, about 2 years with DD. With DS, I haven't switched to my big "Mom" purse because I still drag around stuff for DD such as snack traps, water bottles, plus the occasional toy/book/diversion in addition to the same items for DS in addition to diapers & wipes.

philyre
06-09-2011, 12:02 PM

I find that as my son has gotten older and needs fewer diapers and fewer naps, we're also leaving the house for much longer stretches of time, so that has canceled out any economizing aspect of having a toddler. Also, while his tendency to explode bodily fluids over himself is less, his tendency to roll in a mud puddle or spill food over himself is much greater. And now clothing is BIGGER and his need for entertainment options is too. So all in all, I find that the bag that used to be "barely the right size" with a newborn is now decidedly "too small" with a two year old.

But, I don't car-stash much (besides some juice boxes and a spare diaper in the glovebox) because we have a tiny car with a trunk that leaks (and we live in a perpetually rainy area), so there's really not a good place to put a stash of anything.