PDA

View Full Version : When's the latest you've switched OB"s?

janine
06-09-2011, 09:05 AM
I have been going to the same OB as last time (with #1) - at the time we lived and worked in the City. I like her but not the hospital and now that we've moved to the 'burbs makes more sense to deliver at the local hospital.

But the monthly visits are so much easier with my current OB since it's close to where I work and I can shoot over during lunch! But now that all the big visits are out of the way - and now that I'm more than 1/2 way through, it's time to start looking into switching. Has anyone done this - seems like it'lll be a pain and not sure if they new hospital will wonder why I'm doing this so late.

MommyAllison
06-09-2011, 11:19 AM
A friend of mine switched at 35+ weeks (I think it was 37?) because she was unhappy that she had only ever seen the NP, never even met the OB. She had no problems switching so late.

scrooks
06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Are you going to continue work throughout your pregnancy? If so I would consider staying put because the frequency of visits increases so much toward the end...convinience is key...you may have 10 more office visits whereas the delivery is just a one time deal. The is of course contigent on the hospital not being too awful!

janine
06-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Are you going to continue work throughout your pregnancy? If so I would consider staying put because the frequency of visits increases so much toward the end...convinience is key...you may have 10 more office visits whereas the delivery is just a one time deal. The is of course contigent on the hospital not being too awful!

Good point - but the hospital is 1-2hrs (depends on traffic and time of day) from our home!

AnnieW625
06-09-2011, 01:34 PM
With DD1 I switched insurance in January and DD1 was born in April. We switched because the OB was affiliated with a hospital 15 miles from our house, but it would've taken DH an hour+ to get there from work (if you have ever driven in the Torrance/South Bay area of Southern Cal. from the Eastern section of LA County you know what I mean) had I gone into labor while he was at work. It was kind of a pain, but it ended up working out fine. I loved my new doctor and both DH and I loved that the hospital was convenient had I gone into labor when he was at work, or had I gone into labor at work too.

lizzywednesday
06-09-2011, 01:41 PM
30+ weeks due to a medical issue diagnosed in DD within a week of the full-anatomy ultrasound.

We needed to deliver at a specialized hospital for DD's health, so I switched the last bit of my prenatal care over to their high-risk OBs & midwives. This was plan "A", but DH wanted to have a local OB and hospital in place as a plan "B" scenario, just in case I went into labor early.

It was hard for me to do, though.

The 1st practice I called told me it was too late in my pregnancy to switch, while the 2nd one gave me the more accurate answer - none of the docs wanted to assume the risk associated with my DD's condition.

Good luck.