PDA

View Full Version : Help need a stroller asap!

larasmama
06-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi all I am new on the site although I've been lurking for a couple months now. Our DD is 5 1/2 mos and we really need a stroller so I would love the input of all the experts here.

So far all we've been using was the Maclaren Easy traveller with her chicco car seat. We just got back from a trip abroad (used a borrowed umbrella stroller while there) and the temperatures are now in the high 90’s and probably will stay in the 80’s 90’s all summer (NC). I really need to get her a stroller asap as DD is tall and is getting a little cramped plus the car seat get’s super hot and and the canopy is very inadequate (have been using a rayshade).

Requirements:
It has to be lightweight i.e. under 20 lbs with seat/canopy/wheels included – but the lighter the better. We live in the suburbs and drive most everywhere so a lot of in/out the car (except when talking walks around the neighborhood subdivision which has an unevenly paved road and no sidewalk).

Must have great canopy – would love a mesh back or window or some kind of way to get airflow- and good for the heat i.e. good ventilation in the seat etc. Not sure if anyone has heard of the aerosleep anti sweat liners but I am thinking of ordering one on ebay.

Must be able to stear one handed as we have a dog that I'd love to start walking again - also to be able to open doors etc.

I would really love for it to be reversible (seat or handle – I probably won’t flip back and forth - rather
use as rear facing now and switch to forward facing in the future).

Easy fold. Would love to be able to put it in the car without reversing or taking out seat.

Don’t plan to jog.

Good size accessible basket would be nice.

I don’t like strollers with a lot of plastic and prefer earthy/subdued colors over primary colors (tan, brown, gray, denim etc. plan to use a girly liner). I am sure I am forgetting something.

I am hoping this will be our main stroller for the next year. Also I am 5’6” and DH is 6’4”, we fly a couple times a year and go to the beach occasionally.

So I love the Vista but it’s too wide and too bulky/heavy and don’t need the bassinet. I’ve considered a preowned Bee/Bee + but I’ve only seen the Bee+ at BBB and it seemed very very low for a young baby, also the floor model front wheels acted weird. If it was out I would buy the uppababy cruz – but I know it is not out till Sept (considering still buying then). I am also looking at the BJ city mini and uppababy g-luxe because even if I do decide on the Cruz then I still need something now for the summer.

Any thoughts as to what else to consider? TIA

ECUPirateMom
06-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Have you looked at the Bumbleride Flite? its light weight (13lbs) and has a lot of the features you're looking for! The Bumbleride Flyer is the next larger version and it has the reversible handle you're looking for too! HTH!
-Aimee (fellow N.Carolinian) :)

jerry_mishkata
06-09-2011, 09:56 PM
My g-luxe was my only stroller from when my baby was 6 months old till she was 1 (and almost 20 lb) and I loved it. I think the seat is well ventilated and the canopy provides good coverage for small babies -- it has a pop out visor AND it ratchets forward. You can fold the back flap up (even better than a mesh window) to allow more airflow. It is 11 lb only. Wheels are large for an umbrella, esp. this weight. New models also allow front wheels to lock and have an adjustable footrest (mine doesn't have those features). Before my DD was heavier, it was OK steering-wise one handed but I have wrist injuries and 20 lb was too much for one handed steering for me (not for most of my friends... my hands are really not well). The g-luxe has an upright seat too (flite doesn't, for example, not sure if that's important to you). Fold is easy -- I usually did it with one hand (click one side, click other, push down, pick up while holding baby in the other arm. No foot action required). I am 5'6'' too and I found the handle hight perfect for me.

Never went to the beach with it. Flew with it a couple of times -- the foot stand bent but we bent it back and it still works.

georgiegirl
06-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Buy the bjcm now and then get the uppababy Cruz when it comes out in the fall. The bjcm will be easy to resell. It is a great all-purpose stroller.

Multimama
06-10-2011, 09:44 AM
I think the Bumbleride Flyer is probably the closest to everything you are looking for. I would not want to try to walk the dog with an umbrella stroller. If you can sacrifice the reversible seat, I think the Baby Jogger City Mini that a PP mentioned will also meet your requirements, although I'm not *sure* it is under 20 lbs. The Bee could also work, but it sounds like you already ruled it out. I agree I don't like the low seat either.

If it were me, I would get one all-terrain stroller for walking your dog and neighborhood stuff and then get an umbrella or true lightweight for the car. In my experience a stroller that does it all doesn't do anything as well as a stroller designed specifically for that purpose.

BabyBearsMom
06-10-2011, 09:50 AM
The BJCM meets all of your requirements except parent facing. I have one and love it. It is light, easy to fold, easy to push one handed. It is just a great all purpose stroller. I am 5'9" and DH is 6' and both of us can comfortably push it. It doesn't have a huge basket, but it isn't tippy so you can hang a lot of stuff off of the handles. The Bee would probably meet all of your requirements, it is out of my price range, but that doesn't mean I don't covet one.

larig
06-10-2011, 11:28 AM
I think the Bumbleride Flyer is probably the closest to everything you are looking for. I would not want to try to walk the dog with an umbrella stroller. If you can sacrifice the reversible seat, I think the Baby Jogger City Mini that a PP mentioned will also meet your requirements, although I'm not *sure* it is under 20 lbs. The Bee could also work, but it sounds like you already ruled it out. I agree I don't like the low seat either.

If it were me, I would get one all-terrain stroller for walking your dog and neighborhood stuff and then get an umbrella or true lightweight for the car. In my experience a stroller that does it all doesn't do anything as well as a stroller designed specifically for that purpose.

I'm with multimama. I can't imagine a stroller that you'd love for the car that would do well on an unevenly paved road in a neighborhood with no sidewalks (with one hand with a dog). To me if you're going to do that more than once a month I'd sure get an AT for dog walks. I hate taking walks outdoors without air tires.

larasmama
06-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks so much for all the responses, it really helps! DD and now DH are sick so I've had to suspend my search for a couple days.

Hi Aimee! Which part of NC are you in? We are in the Durham area. I will definitely look into the bumbleride strollers. I think I saw some used Flyers on CL.

If I were to get a lightweight one for the car/errands/mall/travel etc. i.e. the g-luxe or bjcm and then an AT stroller with bigger/air wheels I'd still want the AT to be relatively light/maneuverable and preferably reversible. What are my best bets used or new? I've tried a jogging type stroller (instep rented at the beach) and hated how long, heavy and hard to turn it was. Does vista or cam/frog count as AT?

Or I guess I could get something reversible right now like a used Flyer for under $200 use it for a few months/until the baby loses interest in looking at me and then sell it and get something else that doesn't need to be reversible anymore.

Multimama
06-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Don't have time for a long response now, but just wanted to say be careful buying a used Bumbleride Flyer. The ones before 2009 had really bad steering!

You want to make sure you buy an '09 or later. :)

crl
06-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Lightweight and good steering are not really synonymous in the world of air tire strollers. For example, bobs have fabulous steering and push, but they are not the smallest or lightest weight AT strollers. Instep isn't all the great, afaik, so I wouldn't judge based on that.

I don't know much about reversibles, so I can't really help out there.

Catherine

jacksmoma
06-12-2011, 04:00 PM
maybe narrow it down a bit more- does it need to have air tires? (that will put you more at the 20-25 lbs catagory..) does it need to have a reversible seat? what is your price point? really depends on what is most important to you.

ECUPirateMom
06-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks so much for all the responses, it really helps! DD and now DH are sick so I've had to suspend my search for a couple days.

Hi Aimee! Which part of NC are you in? We are in the Durham area. I will definitely look into the bumbleride strollers. I think I saw some used Flyers on CL.

If I were to get a lightweight one for the car/errands/mall/travel etc. i.e. the g-luxe or bjcm and then an AT stroller with bigger/air wheels I'd still want the AT to be relatively light/maneuverable and preferably reversible. What are my best bets used or new? I've tried a jogging type stroller (instep rented at the beach) and hated how long, heavy and hard to turn it was. Does vista or cam/frog count as AT?

Or I guess I could get something reversible right now like a used Flyer for under $200 use it for a few months/until the baby loses interest in looking at me and then sell it and get something else that doesn't need to be reversible anymore.
Hey! Small world...we're over in Cary! :) It's funny you mention the Flyer on CL because I think I emailed a lady about one last week (it was a seagrass one for $175?) and she said it was an '09! I'm in love with the seagrass color but want something lighter/smaller.
I have limited knowledge but I'm not sure there are any AT that are really light but I think the Bumbleride Indie may be considered close to an AT and it sounds like it has a lot of the features you're looking for! What helped me the most in my stroller search so far has been YouTube/BabyGizmo...being able to actually see demos of all the strollers is very helpful! I'm also hoping to get over to that store in Wake Forest (Toads and Tulips) to try out the Bumblerides/Maclarens, ect this week since I found a 2010 Flite online for $209 but want to try it out in person first!
We have a 2011 Bob SE that I LOVE for jogging and walks/AT however we keep ours in the garage all the time because its too heavy and cumbersome for everyday use (I know it doesn't bother some people but I want something easy to use for quick errands/trips/etc)! Therefore I'm also searching for an umbrella stroller for my DD who is 6 months and mainly just want something light weight that doesn't take up a lot of space!! I'm looking at the GLuxe, Cybex Onyx, Maclaren Techno XT, I'coo Pluto and the Flite...its getting overwhelming!! Anyway, I hope your crew starts feeling better soon!
All the best,
Aimee

larasmama
06-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Aimee, wow it is a small world! I think we are looking at the same Flyer on CL :). Thanks for the tip on the youtube videos - they are probably the next best thing to seeing one in person. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to compare notes on strollers. I have looked at strollers at Buy Buy Baby (I have spend hrs there) and Babies r us in Durham and Smartmomma on Glenwood in Raleigh (I can probably tell you what they have in each store). Buy buy baby has the biggest selection by far including all the maclarens and bugaboos.

I have also been planning to go to Toads and tulips so I called and apparently the store is really a booth inside a large store called The cotton company and they rotate the stroller floor samples throughout the yr. On the floor right now they have the micralite toro and the 2 bugaboos. The number for the cotton company is 919-570-0087 in case you want to check also. I also tried the number listed on the Toads & tulips website but that's the internet sales and they had no clue what was available in the store.