PDA

View Full Version : Dear fellow mom from school that we saw at Target this morning,

kep
06-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Thank you SO MUCH for coming up talk with the kids and I while we were browsing the pool aisle. You could see my two little ones getting more and more restless as you stood feet away from us chatting about nothing. And... it was especially nice when you mentioned how horribly sick you have been all week with some kind of killer flu, and the fact that you are, right this very moment, still sick. :love5: Because, you know, I would LOVE to be sick right now. It would be so much fun to spend our first week out of school sick with the flu. Especially DD, who I have been trying really hard to keep well, since she recently spent 6 days in the hospital with Roto & Strep. And yes, my DH is still traveling frequently for work, and I am still 19 weeks pregnant with #4. Awesome, thanks hon.

hillview
06-09-2011, 07:53 PM
EGADS. I mean REALLY who does that? Sending you healthy vibes!

Melaine
06-09-2011, 07:58 PM
That is inexcusable. How can people be so inconsiderate?

KpbS
06-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Un.be.liev.able!!!! The nerve of that woman :32: Hoping you don't get it!!!

HannaAddict
06-10-2011, 04:14 AM
I don't get it, I don't think most casual contact from talking with someone will result in illness. I do understand being more anxious about it though since you are pregnant, I was a wreck when pregnant and the first round of H1N1 was here and we had local pregnant women dying. That would have freaked me out. But it sounded like she was just trying to be polite in acknowledging you and speaking with you. Did she touch your children or something I am missing? I do hope you don't get sick. I will have to watch who I talk to now when I'm sick or have been sick, it never occurred to me not to talk to another mom if I was at the store and recovering from something. And if I'd been trapped in the house and finally felt okay to go out, I could totally see just talking to some adult as a result of cabin fever! My bad . . .

gatorsmom
06-10-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't get it, I don't think most casual contact from talking with someone will result in illness. I do understand being more anxious about it though since you are pregnant, I was a wreck when pregnant and the first round of H1N1 was here and we had local pregnant women dying. That would have freaked me out. But it sounded like she was just trying to be polite in acknowledging you and speaking with you. Did she touch your children or something I am missing? I do hope you don't get sick. I will have to watch who I talk to now when I'm sick or have been sick, it never occurred to me not to talk to another mom if I was at the store and recovering from something. And if I'd been trapped in the house and finally felt okay to go out, I could totally see just talking to some adult as a result of cabin fever! My bad . . .

Well, :yeahthat: unless she was sneezing and coughing or was close enough to the kids that they were breathing the same air. You can catch the flu if you inhale air expelled by a sick person. But if she was away from the kids, not touching them or holding them and she didn't touch kep or anything kep would touch like the shopping cart handle, I think kep and her kids will be safe.

I totally get it though, kep. When I was pregnant I'd get really feisty about sick people getting too close to me or my kids. And I had no filter from stopping me saying as much. Hope you stay healthy!

kep
06-10-2011, 11:13 AM

I guess I am just sensitive about passing on my germs to other people. She wasn't recovering yet, she was still right in the middle of it, clammy skin, nauseous, fever, etc. She did not cough on us or touch the kids (who were in the stroller), but all I could think about was the it would only take one sneeze, cough, touch, whatever to expose us. We have just caught so much this year. When I was getting over the flu, I avoided every possible contact with others because I felt like hell, and couldn't imagine passing that on to my worst enemy.

And it wasn't as if she was at the pharmacy picking up a Rx or something, she found us in the toy department picking out pool toys and made a remark about how she "thought that was our van in the parking lot".

I just don't want to get sick again!

Melaine
06-10-2011, 12:15 PM
OP, I totally get where you are coming from. When I am sick, if I happen to run into someone I stand way far away, warn them and continue on my way. It's just not worth passing along a bug and if your kids are particularly susceptible, then you may be more sensitive to it (mine also get sick a lot). Last month DD2 got pnemonia and it was such an ordeal, I am more germaphobic than usual. Today we were at the local thrift store (love it, very clean) and DDs were watching TV while I browsed the books. A little boy came and sat very close to DD2. I wanted to have them move because he was super close, but I told myself to chill out and quit being so OCD. What did he do? SNEEZE right on DD. ARGH. I could have screamed.

firemama
06-10-2011, 02:53 PM
That is inexcusable. How can people be so inconsiderate?

:yeahthat: I totally agree! I don't think you were being overly sensitive or cautious. I always stay away from people when I am sick too, and vice versa. You can never be too safe, especially since you are pregnant and your DD just got out of the hospital, nonetheless!