PDA

View Full Version : MIL please respect me,

MSWR0319
06-10-2011, 10:46 AM
When I ask you to please take your steaming coffee off DS's art table while he's painting, please do so. Don't argue with me that your hand is close enough to grab it. Your cup is 6 in from DS, who is painting and one swing of his arm will knock that coffee over. Just turn the other direction and sit it on the kitchen table. I dont want him burned. Thank you

gatorsmom
06-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Ugh, I HATE THIS. I'm so sorry you are dealing with that too. DH says that stuff to me all the time. It really pi$$es me off. Why do they have to argue? Why risk getting the kid burned?

I'm guessing she butts heads with you on other things too. Good for you for standing your ground!

MSWR0319
06-10-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm guessing she butts heads with you on other things too. Good for you for standing your ground!

Umm....YES!! And that's putting it nicely :) this coffee thing has been on going since he was born. She can't part with her coffee cup and would try to hold him and her coffee cup when he was a baby. real smart!

infomama
06-10-2011, 12:03 PM
That's crap. Having gone through a hot liquid burn with dd1 I would have grabbed that cup up and moved it myself if the refused.

Pear
06-10-2011, 02:03 PM
I grip my coffee cup pretty strongly in the morning. Since I have a little one that coffee cup is a travel mug even at home. I still keep it away from her when I set it down because she will pick it up. I do find it much safer for sipping with her nearby or on my lap.

Maybe it's time to gift your MIL a snazzy safe mug for your house and then whenever she pours into a regular mug just grab her cup and transfer it to the travel mug.

hellokitty
06-10-2011, 02:13 PM
I totally get you on this. In fact the same exact situation happened before we had kids of our own. My sil insisted on placing her coffee cup next to an area where her OWN toddler was playing and I kept warning her that it was too close. Well, her dd spilled the coffee all over our wool rug (thankfully, not on herself), but I was so annoyed by it, b/c I saw it coming. Sil had kept blowing me off when I told her that maybe we should set her mug somewhere else.

My mil and dad have argued before with me when I insist they wash their hands before holding my babies. Both idiots told me, "I washed my hands when I was at home." I said, "Your car is COVERED in germs, it doesn't matter that you washed your hands before you drove over!" Of course, my mil also eats straight out of sam's club sized containers and claims she has no germs in her mouth. :6: It's so frustrating when you have to deal with ppl who have a complete lack of common sense and will argue with you to the death that they are right and you are wrong.

elephantmeg
06-10-2011, 02:29 PM
do you want me to send you the links of the pics after DD was burned by hot liquid to show her? I was standing right there too! Of course as soon as we got her home (from a 2 week hospital stay) my mom had a measuring cup of boiling water on the edge of the counter. I went ape &()*. Screamed at her. But seriously!

BabyBearsMom
06-10-2011, 02:41 PM
I feel like you should accidentally spill the hot coffee on MIL so she would know how it feels and maybe then she won't be so relaxed about it...I may be feeling particularly evil today though :32:

ha98ed14
06-10-2011, 05:19 PM
WTF? Even if DS wasn't there, asking guest nicely to move their drink is totally reasonable. "Hey could you move that over here? Here's a coaster. Thanks!" Just do it! It's called being a gracious guest in someone else's home.

bubbaray
06-10-2011, 05:21 PM
WTF? Even if DS wasn't there, asking guest nicely to move their drink is totally reasonable. "Hey could you move that over here? Here's a coaster. Thanks!" Just do it! It's called being a gracious guest in someone else's home.

:yeahthat:

MSWR0319
06-10-2011, 07:59 PM

Oh yeah. At her house you can't even have your finger on her coffee table or you get yelled at! There is no graciousness here though

MSWR0319
06-10-2011, 08:00 PM
I feel like you should accidentally spill the hot coffee on MIL so she would know how it feels and maybe then she won't be so relaxed about it...I may be feeling particularly evil today though :32:

:ROTFLMAO: This seriously made me laugh for five minutes. I think I must be feeling particularly evil too!