PDA

View Full Version : Why Do I Allow People to Make Me Feel Like Crap?

Bens Momma
06-11-2011, 12:47 AM
It's not news to me that both DH & my family are toxic to us. I do try to limit contact with them, but it's really difficult as we live within 10 minutes of both. I can't go into all of the history, but let's just say that they are for the most part very selfish, dysfunctional, unthoughtful people. However they aren't like this with everyone and I've seen them be just the opposite with other people. So I don't get why they are such ***holes with us. So I'm almost 6 months pregnant with our 3rd child and SIL has yet to even acknowledge that I'm pregnant! No card, email, phone call, or mention during the 6-7 times we've seen her! At least suck it up and fake like you're happy for us! And I can count on one hand the amount of times ILs (who we talk to or see at least once a week) have mentioned the pregnancy. I find it odd/rude that they don't even say "how are you feeling?" or "how was your checkup this month?" or any remark about us expecting a baby. My coworkers and casual friends I run into show more concern and interest than ILs do! Don't get me wrong, it's not that I expect to be the center of conversation or be treated like a princess, but even one remark or question seems like common courtesy at least. My friend suggested I say something like "the baby's fine and I feeling OK, thanks for asking" the next time we're with them, but should I really have to say something?
I was really POed tonight when talking with my sister. She married into wealth and money is not object. With all 3 of her children, they hired a Baby Whisperer. The BW comes and lives with them for the first 1-1.5 months and helps feed, care for, and gets the baby on a "schedule" with the goal of having them sleep through the night early on. She even does light housework. Sound like a dream? Anyway back to my sis, she's visiting from out of town and I was trying to be nice and make conversation with her and said "I'm going to have to give you a call and get some tips that you learned from your Baby Whisperer, because that sleep deprivation is really tough!" To which she replied snidely, "it's all about feeding them properly and following a schedule which you guys probably can't do!" :angry-smiley-005: Um, I guess she thinks she's parent of the year despite the fact that she has Baby Whisperer spend the first month living with them and then a full time nanny. She's also the person that called me from BRU and had me on the phone for 45 minutes walking her through exactly what to register for when they had their first child. Even though I have 2 great kids, I must have done a horrible job raising them as infants according to her statement!
Why o why do I let people say and do these things to me? They really make me feel crappy, yet I'm disappointed that I never come back with a reply! I guess I figure what's the use, they're not going to change. But it still hurts and I have trouble letting it "roll off!" Had to get this off my chest, thanks for letting me vent!

Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:
and the third musketeer arriving in early Fall!

smiles33
06-11-2011, 01:08 AM
Hugs! I don't know many people who can let such slights and veiled insults slide off without feeling upset. I think it's even worse when it's about being pregnant or your parenting styles.

With your ILs, I'm sure the normal thoughtlessness just hurts more because you are super excited about this newest DC. You already know you can't change them, but that doesn't mean you don't feel that twinge of anger/frustrationl.

As for your sister, I'm guessing her comment was smug/condescending to make herself feel better. It's possible she is sensitive to the fact that you raised great kids without the "expert" help she needed. Or maybe she is just insecure/b!tchy. Either way, her comment was a backhanded slap in the face.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you!

HannaAddict
06-11-2011, 02:34 AM
I'm sorry, that is awful. To the comment about her nanny, I would just think 'boy, she's right, I probably can't torture a newborn to one and a half month old infant with "sleep training" when even the pro-sleep trainers know that is too young!" Wow is all I can say to her. She'd be right with me, since I fed on demand and rocked all of mine to sleep, a big old failure in her book!

Get as much sleep now as you can and hang in there with number three!