PDA

View Full Version : Tips for buying use bike trailer

hehateme
06-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Hi:

We have 22 month old and another baby on the way. I used to bike regularly but after the baby was born it does not happen often. We live in MN so I plan bike 1-2 times a week for 1 hour maximum during spring, summer and fall.
I am looking for a bike trailer that can take up to 2 kids.
Seems like a lot of folks like burley, chariots etc.
I have no idea if my strong willed toddler will even like a trailer.
I am trying to avoid buying a new one due to the high cost.
I checked Craigslist and found many burley's and a few Chariots on sale.
There are so many different models of different age available.

I am looking for suggestions on a particular model or certail features I should look for. Does the age of the trailer matter if it has not been used much?
What should I be looking for when I am examining a user trailer?
Are the stroller kits useful?

Thanks

wellyes
06-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Bike trailers aren't really for babies - recommended for 12 months+. So I'd invest next year instead.

When you do buy: I'd just set a budget and find the nicest, newest one you can for that price. I got a used I-forget-the-brand for $80 which is more than adequate.

I'd not bother with a stroller kit. Most do come with a basic handlebar. if you're fairly active (sounds like you are!!) it is worth getting a decent all-terrain stroller. Even a non-fancy one will be more useful than a converted bike trailer IMO.

mumofboys
06-14-2011, 07:51 AM
While bike trailers aren't intended for babies, if you are hopeful to get back into cycling after DC#2 is born, I would encourage you to continue your search now and get DC#1 used to it (and loving it). I don't know how far along you are and whether or not it is safe for you to cycle (I stopped at 7 months) but perhaps your DH can cycle with DC#1 when you are no longer able?

You aren't looking for your children to spend hours in the trailer, day after day, but you do want them to be as comfortable as possible. Things I would consider:

Safety should always be #1: 5 point harness, intact screen/windshield to protect eyes, type of hitch so where when bike goes down the trailer stays upright, visible flag and reflective tape, low wheelbase, etc.

Comfort should be #2: ventilation, suspension, look at where DC's head is going to rest, pneumatic wheels will provide softer ride, etc.
hitch (if you and DH are sharing the cycling, easy hitch attachment is nice feature). Look at Chariot (http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/chariot_innovations.php?inoID=13) for example.

Around here you can take trailers for a test drive at your local bike shop or EMS or REI store. You don't have to buy new, but it helps to test it with your child first. Keep scouring those Craigslist and other ads. Chariot and Burleys are awesome.

Good luck!