PDA

View Full Version : Tallest Seat back for a stroller?

beltm
06-12-2011, 11:11 PM
I need to know which strollers have the tallest seat back (not just canopy height). DS just turned 3 and i realize half of his head is above the back seat of our Mac triumph, and he still sleeps in it, so i was planning on getting something new for mall/travel (but really can't find something that meets all of my needs/wants), but now i realize he will need something with at least a 20 inch height for the back of the seat. So with no other mentions of features other that that i would like to be able to travel with it, I need a stroller with at least a 20 inch seat back and at least a 25-26 inch canopy height. He is 40 inches but very long torsoed. He still loves to ride and still sleeps in a stroller (lucky me!).

I know the Starck and BJ Micro meet this criteria, but are there any others? I know the Phill and Teds meet it, but they don't look travel friendly, unless you know of one that is. I love the idea of a P+T because if we have baby #2 i will need something that DS can still hop a ride in and those seem like they will last a while. Otherwise i know i'll be back on this board next year in a panic trying to find something he can fit in!!! Ha ha ha! ANyways, i have found others with the canopy height but still only an 18-19 inch seat back height. Please help!

legaleagle
06-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Aprica Cadence is 21" seatback, 27" canopy and holds 70lbs.
http://strollerqueenreviews.blogspot.com/2010/06/aprica-cadence-stroller-review.html

I know the TFK buggster has a huge seat.

Or there's always the bugaboo bee+ :)

beltm
06-12-2011, 11:31 PM
I'll check out the cadence.

THe Bugaboo websote says the Bee holds 37.5 weight limit. Is this correct? I checked it out when someone recommended it to me before, and it won't work for long for me as DS is 35 lbs already. Do i have wrong information. What is the weight limit for the bee? thanks.

Kaylee31
06-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Quinny Zapp is 22".
http://strollerqueenreviews.blogspot.com/2009/05/quinny-zapp-review.html
I *think* the I'coo Pluto is at least 20".

Multimama
06-13-2011, 06:15 AM
Quinny Zapp and Maclaren Starck are the two that I've had that would work.

The Baby Jogger City Elite has a *huge* seat back, but obviously not travel-friendly. :)

mariza
06-13-2011, 06:57 AM
The Aprica as PP mentioned is great for taller kids but the handles are also tall and the setback is often thought to be too far reclined at it's most upright. I've had a P&T too and the one thing to consider is that the rear seat is rated to 33 lbs. This is one stroller that I would not exceed the weight limit on because of the way the bars slide in to hold he second seat. I'd be too afraid they would eventually bend. In theory, you could just put the younger sibling in the second seat, but that never worked with my kids, they both wanted to sit in the second seat and would fight over it.
I would consider a Micro and getting a set of Mini wheels for it as he gets heavier. I have the micro double and feel like it fits my older kids better than the Mini did, but the Mini's wheels handles their weights better (60 lbs & 40 lbs). I recently called BJ to ask if the Mini's wheels would work on the Micro and they said yes. A front wheel (all you need) is $15, so if you got the Micro at Albee for $99 you could get the extra wheels and still have a great bargain for a nice stroller. Another poster here is doing this and was going to report back on the results. Something to think about.

Smillow
06-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Another poster here is doing this and was going to report back on the results. Something to think about.

That's me! The wheel is coming! I just don't know when.Can't wait (DS is now 33# - I can also test it with my 60ish pound 8.5 yo nephew (big stroller lover))! The seatback on the micro goes all the way up to the canopy.

crl
06-13-2011, 08:11 AM
I no longer own my Cybex Onyx, so I can't measure for you, but the seatback seemed very tall to me.

Catherine

legaleagle
06-13-2011, 09:01 AM
THe Bugaboo websote says the Bee holds 37.5 weight limit. Is this correct? I checked it out when someone recommended it to me before, and it won't work for long for me as DS is 35 lbs already. Do i have wrong information. What is the weight limit for the bee?

The general rule of thumb is that if you can push the stroller easily, the kid isn't too heavy. Strollers aren't like carseats - it isn't a safety issue per se. You'll often see the same stroller with different weights listed in different countries.

Exceptions are things like the P&Ts, of course.

beltm
06-13-2011, 12:42 PM
The general rule of thumb is that if you can push the stroller easily, the kid isn't too heavy. Strollers aren't like carseats - it isn't a safety issue per se. You'll often see the same stroller with different weights listed in different countries.

oh i didn't know that, i just assumed the frame would warp or something.

beltm
06-13-2011, 12:43 PM
The Aprica as PP mentioned is great for taller kids but the handles are also tall and the setback is often thought to be too far reclined at it's most upright. I've had a P&T too and the one thing to consider is that the rear seat is rated to 33 lbs. This is one stroller that I would not exceed the weight limit on because of the way the bars slide in to hold he second seat. I'd be too afraid they would eventually bend. In theory, you could just put the younger sibling in the second seat, but that never worked with my kids, they both wanted to sit in the second seat and would fight over it.
I would consider a Micro and getting a set of Mini wheels for it as he gets heavier. I have the micro double and feel like it fits my older kids better than the Mini did, but the Mini's wheels handles their weights better (60 lbs & 40 lbs). I recently called BJ to ask if the Mini's wheels would work on the Micro and they said yes. A front wheel (all you need) is $15, so if you got the Micro at Albee for $99 you could get the extra wheels and still have a great bargain for a nice stroller. Another poster here is doing this and was going to report back on the results. Something to think about.

this seems like my best option to get the tall seat for him. can you still hang a bag off the handles of the micro?

Multimama
06-13-2011, 12:46 PM

I think to me it also depends what you are going to do with the stroller. I wouldn't run with a stroller if my child was over the weight limit just because if something *did* happen it could be dangerous.

legaleagle
06-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't put the stroller through anything where a heavy kid could significantly throw off the center of balance or anything, but for something as well made as the bee, it wouldn't be an issue.

Smillow
06-13-2011, 05:05 PM
can you still hang a bag off the handles of the micro?

Yes! I have loaded my Micro down - totally not tippy!

beltm
06-14-2011, 04:42 PM

thank you. decideing now between the Micro and the Britax B Agile.....

beltm
06-29-2011, 05:25 PM

Just wonderg how you like your micro with the city mini bigger from wheel on it? Does it push nicely? Thanks!

jugglinglemons
06-29-2011, 07:20 PM
I was going to say Starck - I also have a Cybex and the seat seems pretty tall on that, but my 95th% ds is getting pretty close to the top of it at 18 mos... I mean, he's probably as tall as *some* 3 year olds though :D

socratesrules
07-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Just wonderg how you like your micro with the city mini bigger from wheel on it? Does it push nicely? Thanks!

Hi there - I'm not the poster you're referring to - but I do have a Micro and love almost everything about it except the fact that I kick the rear bar that connects the two rear wheels (and I'm not tall - 5'4"). I also have a BJCMD that I adore and have never kicked the rear bar so I figured I must be kicking the bar on the Micro due to the smaller wheels. So ... I took the wheels from my BJCMD and tried them on the micro and am thrilled to announce that I didn't kick the bar even once while taking a stroll around the neighborhood. So, yes - the mini wheels fit on the micro and pushes/steers better with the bigger wheels (and no kicking the bar). I even made my 55lb 5yo climb in to test it out and I had no problem steering it with him either (primary rider is a 25lb 2yo).

BJ CS sent me this info about the wheels:
Front Wheel Assembly - $15.75
Rear Wheels - $12.25 each
Shipping - $9.95

Also, I have loaded up my JuJuBe PackaBe and hung it from the handlebar on the Micro and it didn't tip.

HTH!

beltm
07-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Oh thank you so much for the info! Out of curiousity would my BJ Elite wheels fit on the micro? I don't have a mini but I have an elite. I use a packabe tOo so thanks for letting me know it hangs easily. I just ordered a britax b agile but I think I may order the micro too to see if he fits better in it. Although that is probably redundant to have both. Unless I just use the micro for travel and use the b agile for every day.

Hi there - I'm not the poster you're referring to - but I do have a Micro and love almost everything about it except the fact that I kick the rear bar that connects the two rear wheels (and I'm not tall - 5'4"). I also have a BJCMD that I adore and have never kicked the rear bar so I figured I must be kicking the bar on the Micro due to the smaller wheels. So ... I took the wheels from my BJCMD and tried them on the micro and am thrilled to announce that I didn't kick the bar even once while taking a stroll around the neighborhood. So, yes - the mini wheels fit on the micro and pushes/steers better with the bigger wheels (and no kicking the bar). I even made my 55lb 5yo climb in to test it out and I had no problem steering it with him either (primary rider is a 25lb 2yo).

Shipping - $9.95

Also, I have loaded up my JuJuBe PackaBe and hung it from the handlebar on the Micro and it didn't tip.

HTH!

poohbear
07-04-2011, 09:51 AM

Shipping - $9.95

HTH!

DO you have pics of the micro wiht mini wheels? Does it affect the center of gravity, etc?
Did baby jogger say they would work? Just curious...

socratesrules
07-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Oh thank you so much for the info! Out of curiousity would my BJ Elite wheels fit on the micro? I don't have a mini but I have an elite. I use a packabe tOo so thanks for letting me know it hangs easily. I just ordered a britax b agile but I think I may order the micro too to see if he fits better in it. Although that is probably redundant to have both. Unless I just use the micro for travel and use the b agile for every day.

TBH, I don't know anything about the elite. I would contact BJ CS and find out for sure before purchasing. I too was considering the B-agile because I feel it has a few more features that I wish the city mini had but ... my "baby" is almost three and the Micro is sized big enough to accomodate my BIG 5yo (bought it to use for disney - figuring the two kids can take turns riding since I prefer to not push both kids all around WDW).
I doubt I'll need it - but I do wish the recline was a bit deeper. Other than that, I know the Micro (with mini wheels) will be a perfect fit for us ;)

FWIW, I also have a B-ready sitting around my house and I LOVE it! If I had a newborn/infant it would be my dream stroller! That's one other reason I had been eyeing the B-agile. Right now it's just sitting untouched until I decide whether to keep it (if we decide to try for #3) or gift it (I have a couple friends having babies this fall).

socratesrules
07-04-2011, 11:58 PM
DO you have pics of the micro wiht mini wheels? Does it affect the center of gravity, etc?
Did baby jogger say they would work? Just curious...

I didn't ask BJ CS if the mini wheels would work - I just figured that the wheels were the likely reason why I kick the bar on the Micro and not on the BJCMD. So far, so good - no kicking thus far. And ... the push is overall much smoother/easier with my heavy 5yo in it. The center of gravity didn't seem off to me at all. I think I remember reading somewhere that the Mini and Micro frames are pretty much the same - the main difference between the two models being a) the smaller canopy (which although the micro lacks the awesome HUGE canopy of the mini, I was surprised by how big it is IRL as I thought it appeared puny in online pics) b) minimal Micro recline vs mini's deep recline and c) overall less padding.
None of those factors are deal-breakers for me considering this stroller is being used for an almost 3yo. But, if I were buying for a baby under 2 - I'd definitely be looking elsewhere.

About pics - I don't have any at the moment but I can try to snap some up tomorrow.

Multimama
07-05-2011, 06:59 AM
the main difference between the two models being a) the smaller canopy (which although the micro lacks the awesome HUGE canopy of the mini, I was surprised by how big it is IRL as I thought it appeared puny in online pics) b) minimal Micro recline vs mini's deep recline and c) overall less padding.

The Micro is also as heavy or heavier than the Mini despite having fewer features. I think this is due to the frame being made out of different (cheaper = heavier) materials. So I doubt the frames are identical.