PDA

View Full Version : Balance Bike

mecawa
06-13-2011, 07:08 PM
For those of you whose children have had balance bikes, did you find them to work? I'm thinking about getting one for DD2, but am just not sure it's the way to go. She's 2 1/2 but very small (31 inches, 22 lbs.), she sees her 7 yr.old sis riding her bike and wants one too. I tried our old Radio Flyer trike leftover from DD1 and she can't even reach the pedals yet. So, I was thinking of getting one that was smaller bikes with a push handle for the adult (I'm pregnant and am sick of bending over to push her on the trike, it's killing my back). Then today I was looking at a catalog that had a balance bike in it and was thinking maybe that would work. A little background on her--she's like I said very tiny, not adventuresome at all, was a preemie with a medical condition (fine now), and is only at 16 months for her gross motor skills (trying to get her PT through EI). So I guess I'm just asking in your opinions, would you do the Balance Bike for a kid like her, if so what brand? OR would you do the trike that the parent can push and maybe a balance bike or regular bike later?

wendibird22
06-13-2011, 08:05 PM
We gave DD1 a balance bike (cheapie from Walmart) for her 3rd birthday last summer. She's not adventurous at all. Last year it took her a while just to warm up to sitting on it (she'd walk it standing up but not with her butt on the seat). She eventually would sit on it but still just walk it. This summer she's finally comfortable enough with it and herself to do a bit of gliding. She'll be 4 next month. I may be able to get one more year out of it before she outgrows it.

This is the one we have: http://www.walmart.com/ip/10-WeeRide-Learn-2-Ride-Bicycle/14248176

I figured for $30 it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

sunshine873
06-13-2011, 08:13 PM
We gave DD a Strider balance bike for her 2nd b-day. She's a preemie also - I'd say she was kind of scared of it at first. Then this summer we started riding our bikes with her in an ibert seat (a kid seat that mounts on the handlebars.) Now she's all about the bike. She'll grab her balance bike by the handlebars & throw her leg over and walk with it. She's just starting to sit on the seat a little bit now (she's just shy of 2 1/2.)

As for whether your DD is ready for it or not, I don't know that it matters. Go ahead & get it. Watching her older sister may be just the motivation she needs - she might surprise you. Either way, she'll grow into it at some point, and it won't be wasted $$. I will say I decided on the Strider for my DD because it was one of the shortest ones out there & she was a little 2 year old (although she's really caught up in the past few months.)

Good luck!

Dr C
06-13-2011, 08:19 PM
We loved our Skuut bike for DS, but he was past 3 when we discovered it and he is kind of a "gross-motor kid." I definitely plan to introduce a balance bike for DD whenever her toes can touch when she tries to push the skuut--hopefully when she's 2-3 years old. I think the Skuut would be a bit big for your DD, but that WeeRide has 10 inch wheels so it might work better. If you try it and she's too small, you can always hide it for a while and break it out again in 6 months. Can she ride other toys that you push with your feet? That would bode well. In any case, I think it would be great for her motor skills. Just don't forget to put a helmet on her--she'll be careening around corners like a madwoman in no time. :-)

AlbrightRC
06-14-2011, 09:11 AM
We got our son the strider at about 18 months. Now at almost 3 he's gliding and flying down hills with it. I love that its so light that even at 18 months if it tipped over he could pick it up if it falls on him he won't get hurt.

mecawa
06-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. I think I may take her to two shops in town here tomorrow to see what they have, and which one she will fit on.