PDA

View Full Version : What umbrella stroller would you buy...

ECUPirateMom
06-13-2011, 09:32 PM
if you had $300? and why?

I thought I had it all narrowed down to the G-Luxe and Bumbleride flight but after testing out the G-Luxe in person I have had a change of heart...IMO the G-Luxe felt VERY flimsy/cheap and I didn't like all the white fabric on it (that isn't removable or washable so it would get dirty) so it is now off my list! I still like the flight but am now leaning more towards a Maclaren techno XT!

Anyway, I guess I'm hoping to get some others opinions or thoughts on what they think is the best umbrella/lightweight stroller for under/around $300!

Thanks so much ladies, :)
Aimee

Smillow
06-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Maclaren Ryder! I don't think anyone does umbrellas better than Maclaren.

arivecchi
06-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Maclaren Ryder! Best umbrella hands down. The Albert Thurston and 4 seasons versions are my faves.

http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?sku=16341142&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping

http://cgi.ebay.com/Maclaren-Four-Seasons-2008-Stroller-Brand-New-/280649404750?pt=Strollers&hash=item415802114e#ht_1979wt_689

crl
06-13-2011, 10:16 PM
I'd be tempted to get the 2011 Cybex Onyx for the recline mechanism that I loved and for the new and improved, fabulous canopy. And it comes in under budget!

Catherine

georgiegirl
06-13-2011, 10:26 PM
I picked the 2011 cybex onyx. Should arrive any day now and I can report back. I think I read a million threads on the topic. Interesting that you said the g-luxe seemed flimsy...that is why I ruled it out in the end. It seemed that it would be too light to be sturdy...or at least that was my impression.

jiggaman
06-13-2011, 10:41 PM
I would go with the 2011 cybex onyx. Easiest recline I've used. The canopy can't be beat. My Cybex Topaz has a great easy push to it. It can take a car seat with adapter and it also reclines near flat, so it could technically be the only stroller you ever need. And it comes in various colors.

jacksmoma
06-13-2011, 10:57 PM
i would say a maclaren...i know others have more features but the macs are made with better materials and frames....you can tell the difference when you see/use them in person, hard to tell online. i'd get a mac triumph- very simple yet great!

crl
06-13-2011, 11:06 PM
i would say a maclaren...i know others have more features but the macs are made with better materials and frames....you can tell the difference when you see/use them in person, hard to tell online. i'd get a mac triumph- very simple yet great!

Just curious, have you seen the Cybex strollers? I have seen Macs and I did not think they were any sturdier than the Cybexes.

Catherine

ECUPirateMom
06-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Just curious, have you seen the Cybex strollers? I have seen Macs and I did not think they were any sturdier than the Cybexes.

Catherine

Does anyone know if the Cybexes are "tippy" like the Macs?

georgiegirl
06-13-2011, 11:20 PM

I was told no, which was one of the reasons I picked it. You can read my thread from last week, "is the g-luxe tippy?"

crl
06-13-2011, 11:44 PM

I had a saddlebag on the side of my Onyx which would probably minimize tippiness so I can't really say. The Onyx is heavier than the Mac Ryder recommended on this thread so it probably isn't as tippy. But that's definitely a trade off. I thought my 2009 Onyx was awfully heavy for a lightweight stroller and the 2011 is even heavier, iirc. I think the canopy might well be worth the extra weight though. Kind of a matter of priorities, IMO.

Catherine

rin
06-14-2011, 12:17 AM
While I haven't seen one IRL, based on reviews/research I would totally go for the 2011 Cybex Onyx. It sounds pretty awesome, basically comparable to the Mac Techno XT except with an easier recline mechanism, the ability to take a carseat, and a pretty sweet sounding canopy. I kinda wish I needed a stroller to justify getting one.

(I have a Mac Techno XT & a Triumph, and previously owned a 2009 Cybex Topaz, so I have some familiarity with the Maclaren & Cybex lines. I didn't think that the Topaz seemed flimsy or poorly made compared to the Maclarens. I hated the Topaz handlebars, which I did think were pretty cheapy feeling, but from what I can tell they've changed those for the 2011.)

llama8
06-14-2011, 06:04 AM
I love my Maclaren!!!!!!

ECUPirateMom
06-14-2011, 07:21 AM
I had a saddlebag on the side of my Onyx which would probably minimize tippiness so I can't really say. The Onyx is heavier than the Mac Ryder recommended on this thread so it probably isn't as tippy. But that's definitely a trade off. I thought my 2009 Onyx was awfully heavy for a lightweight stroller and the 2011 is even heavier, iirc. I think the canopy might well be worth the extra weight though. Kind of a matter of priorities, IMO.

Catherine
what exactly is a "saddlebag"? and would it work to keep a Mac from being tippy too?

crl
06-14-2011, 08:32 AM
what exactly is a "saddlebag"? and would it work to keep a Mac from being tippy too?

It is a bag made by Skiphop designed to hang on the side of a stroller.

http://www.skiphop.com/product/172000.html

I think it would work on a Mac just the same as on my Onyx. In fact, A uses one on her Ryder. The downside is that you can't fold the stroller with the saddlebag on. My onyx was a closeout purchased primarily for use at DisneyWorld and I just detached one side when I needed to fold the stroller. You can also just fill a water bottle and toss it in the basket of an umbrella stroller to minimize tippiness.

Catherine

ETA. Just wanted to clarify that you can fold some strollers with a saddle bag on, like Mountain Buggies and the Bumbleride Indie, but not umbrella folds.

mom3boys
06-14-2011, 09:09 AM
I have a 2010 Onyx and it does not tip with a medium size diaper bag (like Skip Hop) hung on the handlebars. A larger bag would probably tip it, or if parked on an incline it would tip even with just the skip hop. So definitely less tippy then say, a Mac Triumph but not infallible.

arivecchi
06-14-2011, 10:20 AM
My Maclaren Ryder is not tippy. I use a Skip Hop Stufio with stroller clips that attaches to the back of the frame. I also have a Skip Hop saddle bag on it and can fold it with it on.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-PLwTNVBdngk/TWMDqxCdLpI/AAAAAAAACS4/elTWpmjl9ls/s512/IMG_0434.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-wodN9ISBm-Q/TWMDqUZ3dYI/AAAAAAAACS0/WbcUCFHWFTA/s512/IMG_0428.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Xt_l9UMoep0/TWMC_j_WgVI/AAAAAAAACSk/tprRLDqkqgE/s512/IMG_0423_1.JPG

Maclarens are tried and true. They last forever, are well known and have good resale value. The Four Seasons one I linked is an awesome value because it comes loaded with accessories.

The jury is still out on Cybex umbrellas. I like the looks of some of them but I really do not like the one that has the stripe pattern - I think it's the Onyx.

amberose
06-14-2011, 01:06 PM
The Cybex Onyx is definitely not tippy like the Macs. Its a very sturdy stroller. I have a Cybex and I LOVE it! Its an amazing stroller and is super easy to use. :love-retry:

Multimama
06-14-2011, 01:20 PM
OP, how old is your child? That would change my answer a lot. Also, is this your one and only stroller or are you only wanting it for a particular purpose? (Sorry if I missed other threads.)

First, I probably wouldn't spend $300 on an umbrella stroller. I just don't like them that much.

But assuming I was committed to spending that much and I wanted to use the stroller for the entirety of my child's strolling life I think I would look at

Techno XLR (takes a carrycot, but you have to import it)
Bumbleride Flite (steerings not as good, but love the features)
Cybex Callisto (have never gotten to push one around, but love the single handle bar and the new carrycot is really, really nice)

Okay, that's basically a list of all the US strollers that can take a carrycot. LOL. I think I just have a reversible stroller thing. But I'd need more info if this stroller isn't going to be used from birth.

And are the fabrics on the G-luxe really not removable or washable??? That's a deal breaker for me!

ETA: Can I include the Inglesina Avio as an "umbrella stroller"? I think I'd consider that one from birth too.

lhafer
06-14-2011, 02:26 PM
if you had $300? and why?

I thought I had it all narrowed down to the G-Luxe and Bumbleride flight but after testing out the G-Luxe in person I have had a change of heart...IMO the G-Luxe felt VERY flimsy/cheap and I didn't like all the white fabric on it (that isn't removable or washable so it would get dirty) so it is now off my list! I still like the flight but am now leaning more towards a Maclaren techno XT!

Anyway, I guess I'm hoping to get some others opinions or thoughts on what they think is the best umbrella/lightweight stroller for under/around $300!

Thanks so much ladies, :)
Aimee

Can I ask why everyone thinks that the white part on the side of the G-Luxe would get dirty? You aren't the first person to think this. The only time the white part is really only visible is if the seat is reclined. I have the Red one and it has the white sides. I have yet to get the white part dirty, and I've had my stroller for several months now and use it almost daily. And I'm not careful with my strollers. It stays in the back of my minivan, along with my BJCM. And I just had to put it in the floor of the middle row because I brought some super heavy big stuff home from Home Depot the other day. My 5 year had to step on it, crawl over it just to get into her seat. And yet - it is not dirty. And my 15 month old eats and drinks in her stroller, and I still don't have problems with dirtiness.

It feels light/flimsy because it IS light - at 11 pounds you can't expect it to feel like iron. But it's not flimsy.

I personally love my G-Luxe. And I just pushed a Cybex Onyx around BRU eariler today to see if I regretted getting the G-Luxe instead of it - because I looked at them too. But I didn't. I didn't care for the handles, I didn't think it steered as smoothly (even empty), and it was way heavier. It does have a great canopy, and I love the recline mechanism on it (vs the G-Luxe's which is the ONLY thing I really don't care for).

Kaylee31
06-14-2011, 02:33 PM
OP, how old is your child? That would change my answer a lot. Also, is this your one and only stroller or are you only wanting it for a particular purpose? (Sorry if I missed other threads.)

First, I probably wouldn't spend $300 on an umbrella stroller. I just don't like them that much.

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :)
If it was me, I would probably get a BJCM instead of an umbrella, depending on the age of your DC.
If I could only have one umbrella, it would be the FF Superlite.
http://www.amazon.com/Micralite-FastFold-Superlite-Stroller-Black/dp/B003QIAKEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1308076070&sr=1-1
I do love the look of the new Cybexes (especially purple & lagoon), and the Mac Ryders/Objects of Design. Both would work well with a small baby, or a bigger toddler.
http://shop.ebay.com/babyproductstore/m.html?_nkw=ryder&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313
2011 Callistos are $297 at Baby Viva w/code BRU15.
http://www.babyviva.com/product/strollers/999513-10737/cybex-callisto-stroller.html

Multimama
06-14-2011, 08:27 PM
If I could only have one umbrella, it would be the FF Superlite.

Does the Superlite count as an umbrella? I think of umbrellas as specifically strollers that have an umbrella fold, so things like the Zapp and Superlite wouldn't count even though they fit into the lightweight category.

I love my Superlite too. :) And really once you're buying something like the Cybex Callisto you might as well get a BJCM or something. It's not as if the Callisto is really smaller/lighter/easer.

Kaylee31
06-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Does the Superlite count as an umbrella? I think of umbrellas as specifically strollers that have an umbrella fold, so things like the Zapp and Superlite wouldn't count even though they fit into the lightweight category.

Yeah, I guess the Superlite really doesn't count b/c it's not technically an umbrella. But it does have a long, compact fold like an umbrella and it's footprint isn't much bigger, as you already know. :p (Here it is next to a Mac) http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MUOypjQwqJc/TNdwU8TAFGI/AAAAAAAAA7A/wvb3mcPDptg/s1600/Micralite3.jpg

Kaylee31
06-14-2011, 09:22 PM
\And really once you're buying something like the Cybex Callisto you might as well get a BJCM or something. It's not as if the Callisto is really smaller/lighter/easer.

True, but the Callisto is less common, and looks more elegant than the BJCM. The seat looks more upright, and it might be better for taller people too. I still love the mini, but it's not for everyone.

ECUPirateMom
06-14-2011, 09:44 PM

But assuming I was committed to spending that much and I wanted to use the stroller for the entirety of my child's strolling life I think I would look at

Techno XLR (takes a carrycot, but you have to import it)
Bumbleride Flite (steerings not as good, but love the features)
Cybex Callisto (have never gotten to push one around, but love the single handle bar and the new carrycot is really, really nice)

Okay, that's basically a list of all the US strollers that can take a carrycot. LOL. I think I just have a reversible stroller thing. But I'd need more info if this stroller isn't going to be used from birth.

And are the fabrics on the G-luxe really not removable or washable??? That's a deal breaker for me!

ETA: Can I include the Inglesina Avio as an "umbrella stroller"? I think I'd consider that one from birth too.

DD just turned 6 months so I'm looking for a small but full featured stroller that has an umbrella fold. And while I really like the Cybex line of strollers I'm hesitant because I feel the jury is still out on them (they haven't been around long enough to know how durable their strollers are over time) plus I feel like a Maclaren will retain more resale value down the line. I do have a 2011 Bob SE that I keep in our garage so I need something for everyday use that I can keep in the car and that is easy to travel with.

And regarding the fabric on the G-Luxe...yes, the white sides of the stroller (the parts that are not removable/washable) were very dusty/dirty on the store's floor model so I'm only basing my opinion off what I saw.

Anyway, I think I'm leaning towards the Maclaren Techno XT since I no longer need the travel system aspect in a stroller (Techno XLR). Are there any other features of the XLR that the XT doesn't have that I should be aware of? I do like the Bumbleride Flite too but I really want a 2011 model (they fix the bar popping up issue) but we are traveling this month and they don't come out until late July.
Thanks so much for everyone's input! You guys are an invaluable resource!!! :) :) :)
Aimee

arivecchi
06-14-2011, 10:07 PM
I would go for a Ryder instead of the XT. They have near full recline, larger wheels in back like the Techno but are lighter. It's the best model of the Maclaren line-up. I understand that there are several Thurstons for sale on strollerswap.

WolfpackMom
06-14-2011, 10:56 PM
I agree with arivecchi. I've toyed with selling Al but can't bring myself to do it, I love it so much...and I definitely didn't and wouldn't pay $300 for it or any other umbrella.

AnnieW625
06-14-2011, 11:16 PM
If I had known that the Albert Thurston Ryder was going to go on sale last summer like it did I think I would've waited to get that one vs. getting my Techno XLR. I got my Techno XLR off Ebay for $140 (it was a store model and it didn't come with the carseat adaptor bar, so it's technically an XT) and I love it, however the taller handle bars took me a while to get used to and I am 5'6", the fold while still nice for an umbrella it's not as small as the fold on my Triumph, which is the same size as a Ryder (the Ryder is an XT in a Triumph size body! I bet it truly is the best of both worlds:thumbsup:) . The Techno does weigh more so I have never had a tipping problem with it, but if you know how to control the tipping on the lighter Triumph or Ryder you should be very happy with that stroller too.