PDA

View Full Version : Why is my child burnt to a crisp from camp???

gordo
06-13-2011, 10:00 PM
DD has very fair, sensitive skin. Today was her first day at all day camp. I lathered her in sunscreen before I took her to camp. I told the counselor that she burns very easily and i would appreciate it if they helped her put sunscreen on and did it often. I was told that it would be fine and not to worry about it. Then why was my child BRIGHT RED when I picked her up???? UGH I am so mad!!! I have a call into the camp director, but now I am worried about sending her again tomorrow and worried that her burn will just get worse!!!

My poor baby :(

SnuggleBuggles
06-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Maybe a different sunscreen would help? Did you use a tried and true one? I'd send a convenient one to camp (like a spray) b/c they will be more likely to use it. Don't know if you did that or not. Some people might feel weird rubbing lotion into someone else's kid, kwim? I'm sorry though and I hope it doesn't happen again!!

Beth

elizabethkott
06-13-2011, 10:03 PM
AHHHHHHHHH!
This would make me SO mad!!! Especially if you went out of your way to let the counselor know that she burns easily. Grrr.
In addition to talking to the director, could you get something like this:
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=535801&parentCategoryId=85183&categoryId=85215
and train your dd how to use it?

Green_Tea
06-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Both my girls got burnt the first time we went to the beach this year. I swear I got a bum bottle of sunblock, because it was thoroughly applied.

I know some camps have policies against applying sunblock on kids. Perhaps the counselors didn't feel comfortable doing so? In that case, maybe a spray would be better.

ETA: Ah, I see I am not the only poster who had these thoughts ;).

DrSally
06-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Our camp says they really don't want to appy sunscreen to kids (it's only 2.5 hours though). I apply it before we get there (which I know you did). FWIW, something really thick like Blue Lizard seems to protect better and longer. Do you think she could put a stick on herself?

gordo
06-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I know a lot of camps don't like to help with sunscreen application which is why I asked. But since I was told it would be fine, I figured they would do a good job.

It is a new sunscreen. I bought the All Terrain lotion spray at the recommendation of this board. But only her face and arms are burnt, not her legs, so I am thinking it was application error and not the sunscreen itself. I also think they were outside swimming for 3 hours and they only put the sunscreen on once before they went out. Luckily I had her in a rash guard suit so at least her shoulders and back were spared. I did notice the All Terrain spray is very thin and my guess is that they just didn't get enough on.

I am thinking of switching back to the Coppertone Spray that I know is bad for her, but isn't get sunburn just as bad? I find that the aerosol like spray at least cover a lot more. I guess I will see what they say tomorrow.

Rainbows&Roses
06-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I know a lot of camps don't like to help with sunscreen application which is why I asked. But since I was told it would be fine, I figured they would do a good job.

It is a new sunscreen. I bought the All Terrain lotion spray at the recommendation of this board. But only her face and arms are burnt, not her legs, so I am thinking it was application error and not the sunscreen itself. I also think they were outside swimming for 3 hours and they only put the sunscreen on once before they went out. Luckily I had her in a rash guard suit so at least her shoulders and back were spared. I did notice the All Terrain spray is very thin and my guess is that they just didn't get enough on.

My DD got BURNT with that spray this past week and I sprayed it on thick. I don't think it works well particularly with swimming. I put nothing on her legs since they were going to be swimming in deep water the whole time and her legs were not burned or even tanned. So it was definitely the spray.

I was excited to get a spray since the physical sunblocks are so hard to apply, but I won't be using the spray again. She has never been burned before with any of the physical sunblocks we have used. I would use something different for camp if I were you.

crl
06-13-2011, 11:51 PM
I think I'd try a stick for her face. It is probably hard to apply a spray to the face and I think the stick is more, umm, durable?

So sorry she got burned, that stinks!

Catherine

ETA. I might also look for a long sleeve rashguard. The more skin covered up, the less to have to sunblock or to get burned!

Neatfreak
06-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Was her sunscreen ever reapplied?

Pear
06-14-2011, 12:27 AM
There just isn't any sunscreen that will last all day. I would go for something easy to apply and waterproof so you get the best base layer possible. I would also follow up with the camp and make sure they are having kids reapply sunblock often.

new_mommy25
06-14-2011, 01:47 AM
Last year DS was coming home bright red despite me lathering sunscreen all over. I made him wear a hat every day and it helped a lot.

JBaxter
06-14-2011, 07:50 AM
I may get flamed but I send a can of spray sun block to camp. Nathan can do that one by him self or with a friends help. I know its full of chemicals we dont usually use but I have never seen a camp who will put lotion type on a kid.

Because we dont use the spray type its a novelty and he likes to spray himself.

egoldber
06-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Many camps here won't apply sunscreen for kids who are older than preschool aged. Even my older DD has a hard time doing a good job applying sunscreen, especially the thicker ones. I send in one with her that is less safe than some place like EWG will recommend, but I know she can use it. I also send in a face stick.

Green_Tea
06-14-2011, 09:54 AM
I may get flamed but I send a can of spray sun block to camp. Nathan can do that one by him self or with a friends help. I know its full of chemicals we dont usually use but I have never seen a camp who will put lotion type on a kid.

No flames here. I think using the spray is far preferable to being burnt, especially repeatedly.

pb&j
06-14-2011, 09:56 AM
My kids' preschool camp will apply sunscreen, but only with a form filled out, as required by the state licensing dept. They recommend a stick for the face, and spray for the body for ease of application. I send both kids in rashguards. Luckily, the playgrounds are very shaded, so if the sunscreen doesn't get reapplied well, it's no big deal.

WolfpackMom
06-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Since they are in the pool and maybe not applying until out there you could check out Neutrogena Wet spray. It can be applied to wet skin and get wet without waiting the 30 mins you have to wait for lots of sunblocks before getting wet. Target has a coupon online for it now. I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking about it.

liz
06-14-2011, 10:12 AM

No flames here. I would rather prevent the burn. OP, maybe a hat would work in addition to the rashgaurd? My kids have this hat from REI and they love it. They also have a ton of hats in different patterns/styles for girls.

http://www.rei.com/product/812981/rei-paddlers-hat-boys

SnuggleBuggles
06-14-2011, 10:20 AM

No flames from me- that's the kind I was suggesting. :)

bubbaray
06-14-2011, 10:23 AM
I have tried virtually every "natural" or safe sunscreen. Both my kids burn with them. Lotions, sprays, sticks -- none of the natural ones work for them. Based on my experience, I would guess that it is the sunscreen not working, rather than the camp staff not applying it properly

The best I've found is Banana Boat. DD#1 prefers the spray and the camp prefers spray. DD#2 prefers the lotion.

HTH

elbenn
06-14-2011, 10:23 AM
I got the same All Terrain Spray based on recommendations here and now that it sounds like it doesn't work that great, I'm not sure I want to use it. It was expensive, too! I paid $12.

hellokitty
06-14-2011, 10:54 AM
I would have her wear a hat that gives her face good coverage. Sometimes sunscreen just doesn't cut it and maybe she got sweaty and that didn't help. My boys have safari type of hats that they love to wear and I love it, b/c it's much better coverage than say a baseball cap. Plus, other kids think it is cool.

egoldber
06-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Hats don't work in the pool.

And just as an FYI, my older DD once accidentally sprayed herself in the EYE with one of those sunscreen sprays. She thought she had it pointed at her arm and instead it was pointed at her face. :eek: That was a super fun 2 hours spent in the first aid station at a water park. The nurse/worker there said it happened all the time. So I am leery of those sprays for kids to self apply.

secchick
06-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Thank goodness that it is so hot in TX in the summer all of the outdoor/water activities are in the morning and we sunblock her up before we leave. Primarily, we use a long sleeve rashguard on DD, and then use CA Baby stick on her face (and don't care if she looks ghostly). We also use a lesser sunscreen on her legs, but have never had an issue with that. Next year she will be old enough to do the offsite field trips, and I do worry more then about extended sun exposure (but that is only 1 day/week).

ETA: Her swimsuit bottoms are a LE swim skirt so there is a fair amount of coverage there too.

ABO Mama
06-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Make it easy, and get a long sleeve swim shirt with a wide brimmed hat. We have boys, but I know they make girls board shorts. Cover up as much skin as possible, so that you have less sunscreen to deal with.

gordo
06-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Well apparently I am not the only parent who comPlained. DD told me that they made everyone reapply sunscreen in the middle of swim time. The supervisor told me that she will tell her counselor to reapply sunscreen every hour she is outside A hat wont solve my issue b/c it is during swim time this is happening. Most of the morning is spent indoors. I did send her today with the coopertone spray I normally use and she doesn't look any worse. She wears a short sleeve rash guard and swim skirt but maybe I will look for a long sleeve one.