PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Time?

lovin2shop
06-14-2011, 11:31 AM
When sore from previous workouts, do you allow your muscles recovery time before working out again? I seem to ALWAYS be sore following a workout, and then I shy away from doing it until the soreness subsides. I do want to increase my number of workouts per week, so I think I need to get over it and just work through the soreness. Is this a bad thing to do? I typically do a whole body workout, not just legs or arms, and I don't really want to break it up, but could if I needed to. Just trying to figure out if I'm being too cautious, or if the recovery time is really necessary?

hillview
06-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Gosh I work out almost every day (NEW thing for me in the last month or so). I am sore just about every day. I do try to do something a little different every day. For example:
Monday, Wed and Friday = bootcamp and either a 60 min walk or yoga
Tuesday and Thursday = C25k and 30 mins walk and yoga
Sat or Sun (one day is usually my rest day) yoga and hit the gym

If I am traveling I have been doing a walk/run and/or Jillian Ripped in 30 DVD

HTH
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
06-14-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't rest unless it was totally killer. Minor soreness I keep going. 1-2 days off if it was just extra special sore. :)

Beth

egoldber
06-14-2011, 01:57 PM
"They" say not to do strength training on the same set of muscle groups more than one day in a row. So legs one day and then arms the next is OK, but not two total body workouts in a row.

But like the PP, unless I am so sore I can barely walk, then I work out whether I am sore or not. I usually alternate a day of weights with cardio (step, kickboxing, walking, running, etc.).