PDA

View Full Version : Does it feel to you like Gymboree is going out of business?

HIU8
06-14-2011, 11:43 AM
I get the feeling that gymboree is on their way out (or totally cleaning out their stock completely and starting over). I recently bought stuff there b/c finally the prices were reasonable (and I got gymbucks to use in July--which I have never done before (read: paid full price for clothes at gymbo with or without gymbucks). Anyway, the sales here are DEEP, really really DEEP. It just feels like they are not planning to be around for much longer. Anyone else get that feeling?

BabyBearsMom
06-14-2011, 11:47 AM
I think it is just the normal EOS kind of sale. Clear out the old stuff to bring in the new stuff.

WolfpackMom
06-14-2011, 11:49 AM
No, its like this every end of season there. Last year I was able to buy twill shorts for 99 cents plus a coupon. This year I got linen pants for $5.

HIU8
06-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Ok. Then I will definitely start scouting their sales much better each time b/c some of the deals were just so so good. The other thing that got me worried is that in the mall near me the store moved from a large double store location to a VERY small location (less than half the size of the other location).

jvs195
06-14-2011, 12:02 PM
I feel like all this year they've been struggling to grab people's attention. I remember when they didn't have this many sales/coupons etc... so in contrast it does seem like they are struggling. Maybe they're feeling some of the economy crunch where people are no longer buying the entire line including all the extra doodads (socks, hat, hair clippie, etc....) I know they redesigend our B&M store and it is a terrible design. (Circular center kiosk which is always piled high with stuff).

WolfpackMom
06-14-2011, 12:41 PM
I feel like all this year they've been struggling to grab people's attention. I remember when they didn't have this many sales/coupons etc... so in contrast it does seem like they are struggling. Maybe they're feeling some of the economy crunch where people are no longer buying the entire line including all the extra doodads (socks, hat, hair clippie, etc....) I know they redesigend our B&M store and it is a terrible design. (Circular center kiosk which is always piled high with stuff).

My sister's town's store has that design and it is atrocious!

mecawa
06-14-2011, 05:23 PM
There are A LOT more coupons than they use to have as well as gymbuck earning periods. When I first started shopping there 7 yrs. ago for DD1 it was rare to get a coupon, and gymbuck earning/redemption seemed to only be a couple time a year.

The sales however seem the same to me. There Red Ballon Sales always have huge deep discounts. I got DD2 7 full summer outfits last year for 30 dollars.

cuca_
06-14-2011, 07:00 PM
I was at our local store and got the same feeling you deed. It was pretty empty. They always have a Red Balloon sale, but I don't think I had heard of a $12.95 sale before. When I was there there was a sale where all the merchandise was $12.95 (I think). I had never seen the store that empty before. I don't shop there regularly, but walk by a lot and pop in once in a blue moon. It really looked to me like a store going out of business.

AnnieW625
06-14-2011, 07:25 PM
I haven't been in a store in some time (probably March), but I always find way better stock online than I do in the store, even the store at South Coast Plaza, which holds the title as being the ritziest mall in Southern California. I have only bought two things this entire year, the navy plaid dress for DD1 for a wedding in the fall, and the navy plaid overall set for DN back in March. I went back to look for the coordinating dress for DD2 and they never got more stock in. I didn't even bother going in for the $12.95 sale. The store hasn't done much for me, but honestly that's a good thing (DD1 needs uniforms for school, and DD2 is set for clothes for a long good while!).

robinsmommy
06-15-2011, 12:38 PM
I have heard from someone who works there that the next line they bring out will have no more shorts - so they are getting ready for the "transition" to fall, before summer is really here. Sigh. What's next, Christmas in July?

I do find less and less that I like there - there are less good basics that mix and match with non-gymbo pieces and a lot of the stuff (esp the summer stuff) shows too much shoulder for sun protection and/or is too adult, like all the "one-strap" styles.

DD2 is into the good supply of hand-me-downs now, and DD1 is really growing out of their style - she'll only wear very plain gymbo stuff, which is next to non-existent.

I do think that they are hurting, I don't think that their designers are hitting the mark for what people want. But that has been true many places lately - look at the LE swimsuit fiasco, and how Hanna tried to change the unders cut - major flops (kinda wonder if that was the same designer, it was the same issue....)

Snow mom
06-15-2011, 09:37 PM
I have heard from someone who works there that the next line they bring out will have no more shorts - so they are getting ready for the "transition" to fall, before summer is really here. Sigh. What's next, Christmas in July?

The next line is the start of back-to-school/ fall trans I believe. I think the change in seasons is pretty common this early. Hanna is already doing their spring/summer EOS and bringing in their fall line.

As far as the "going out of business" I don't think that's what is happening. They have had major sales for the last several weeks, but I think they are reducing inventory and changing their business model. Gymbo was bought out almost a year ago and I think the new owners are now making changes in how they are going to market and sell. It will be interesting to see what happens (mainly because I'm not too invested in the brand). I'll be sad if the opportunity to buy gymboree for next to nothing goes, but I already have so much clothing for DD that hopefully we'll be fine either way.

WolfpackMom
06-15-2011, 09:50 PM
The next line is the start of back-to-school/ fall trans I believe. I think the change in seasons is pretty common this early. Hanna is already doing their spring/summer EOS and bringing in their fall line.

As far as the "going out of business" I don't think that's what is happening. They have had major sales for the last several weeks, but I think they are reducing inventory and changing their business model. Gymbo was bought out almost a year ago and I think the new owners are now making changes in how they are going to market and sell. It will be interesting to see what happens (mainly because I'm not too invested in the brand). I'll be sad if the opportunity to buy gymboree for next to nothing goes, but I already have so much clothing for DD that hopefully we'll be fine either way.

I bet this is why my friend and I noticed in the past couple months the tags changing on the clothes as well as the sizing. The price tags in our store now show a Canadian price and a US price which they didnt before. And we both bought clothes last year for this year that are WAY too big for our kids now, but this year's style in the same size fit exactly right or are actually too small. My friend takes care of 2 year old twins, their gymbo stuff from last year is all size 18-24m or 2T, the items from this years line are all size 3T. Same thing with DS. His 18-24 I bought in advance last year is way too big for him, the shorts just fall down. This years style is, the shorts are almost a little snug in 18-24.
Anyways, like you I would only be sad about missing the next to nothing prices. I typically just buy plain basics there in solid colors or plaid shorts and I have always paid very, very little for what I have purchased.

Nooknookmom
06-16-2011, 12:17 AM
I went in for the $12.95 sale. LOVED it, only b/c the Gap's clothes are horrid (cheaply made and to grown up for pre-schoolers) & I can't afford all Boden or Hanna or whatever else I love that is way expensive for DD.

I had not shopped Gymbo in years (not a fan of the matchy matchy thing) but the sale drew me in (their plot worked) and I really liked the styles for DD, not to frilly, yet girly and the fabrics seemed pretty sturdy, she is HARD on her clothes.

I wouldn't pay full price but the sale was nice.

Naranjadia
06-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Gymbo was bought out by Bain Capital last fall and taken off the stock market. Prior to the buyout it was exceeding quarterly sales estimates repeatedly. Bain is not a publicly traded company, so I don't know how you go about finding about their fiscal health, but I doubt they would have run it down the tubes that fast.

TMI, I know! :tongue5:

ilfaith
06-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Ugh. Our store (well one of the two local stores) has that center kiosk, and it was a terrible redesign. I can barely fit a Maclaren past it...forget about a double stroller.

I agree there are far more coupons and sales than there used to be (not that I am complaining, who doesn't like a deal?) but there have also been very few lines I have gotten excited about in the past year or so. Either they were rehashing old designs (maybe sticking a skull on them to update it...because you can't have too many skulls, right?) or every shirt was covered with some goofy saying.

And I do think their sizes this season seem to be running a bit smaller than in years past. My oldest son can wear size 7 shorts purchased the end of last summer, but in this year's lines, the 7s were too snug. Similarly, DS3s hand-me-downs seem larger than the same-sized new things I bought him this spring.

anonomom
06-16-2011, 02:18 PM
It definitely seems to me that they're having many more sales recently than they used to. When DD1 was a baby, I'd maybe look into the stores once a year or so, and even during the sales it felt like the clothes were too pricey for everyday outfits.

This past year, though, I've spent a ton of time and money at Gymboree. There always seems to be a good sale that I can combine either with a coupon or Gymbucks. I was talking to an associate the other day, and he confirmed that they are being way more aggressive lately in their sales and coupons. And frankly, for me it's working. Gymboree has become my go-to clothing destination.

Now, that's partially because my older daughter grew out of Target's toddler section and I dislike the fit and style of their girls' stuff. And Old Navy seems to be going through an ugly phase. I find Gymboree to be, by and large, far more age-appropriate for a 5yo, with better quality and (usually) better fit.

I think all of this is a long-winded way of saying that I really hope Gymboree doesn't go out of business. I'd be lost!

kijip
06-22-2011, 01:56 AM
I have an 8 year old. The EOS sales have been frequent and deep here all of that time, though the boys clothes have gotten truly uglier and uglier IMO. I recall many $5 and $10 sales (everything in the store) and lots of screaming deals. I have never bought anything more than a tie in a pinch there for full price. I thought the high prices with the deep discounts (creating a perception of value) were part of their sales gimmick. Never paid more than $15 for a pair of pants or $12 for a shirt, usually way, way less. Though I mostly don't find anything there anymore to buy. I don't know about coupons or if they have increased their gym buck thing.