PDA

View Full Version : Thinking beyond the Snap 'n' Go - city mini versus jogger?

SopranoHennaDoc
06-14-2011, 02:50 PM
So based on Baby Bargains DH and I got the Baby Trend Snap 'n' Go for our little one and we are using it with the Graco Snugride 35, but now baby is nearing 5 months and I'm thinking we will need to graduate soon to the next level of strollers. There are two major categories we are considering:

1. Lightweight easily foldable stroller that can fully recline with nice sunshade - I need something I can easily lift by myself and one that is good for light duty cruising. I love the Bugaboo Bee but I was most strongly considering the BabyJogger City Mini which seems to be a great design and light and easy to fold. It would be great for the stroller to have some storage space as well - though I think with the BJCM I'd have to purchase a cup holder to hang off the stroller.

2. Jogging stroller - Both DH and I are getting back into fitness and I would love to jog regularly, but the baby isn't big enough yet (needs to be a minimum of 8 months I understand). I'd love to have one with a fixed wheel because this seems essential to a proper jogging stroller. I am considering the Baby Jogger FIT but would love to hear suggestions.

We live in a small 2-bedroom condo and have very little storage space, and while with the first baby we are easily going overboard with stuff, I don't want to go beyond what is really important to have. Ideally I'd love to have both needs met with one stroller. I don't know if there is such a thing, though, given the need for the fixed wheel in option 2 and the mobile wheel in option 1. I hear that the strollers with 'fixable' wheels don't work so well.

The other rub is that eventually we are thinking of having another baby, though we aren't actually trying yet, so I wasn't sure if it was worth considering a single stroller that can later be converted to a double just in case.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

vonfirmath
06-14-2011, 03:52 PM
When our son outgrew the Safeseat (precursor to Snugride 35) and the Snap and GO stroller we used, we purchased a Baby Jogger City Mini. -- we purchased the City Mini at about 9 months and started using it a month later when walking outside our house, etc. The stroller mostly stays in the back of a car, NOT in our house or garage due to space issues.

Since he will be 4 years old when our next is born, and clearly out of strollers, I am glad I did not invest in a double at the time. it was well used while we had it and will be used for the next child as well.

The two accessories I find absolutely required with my City Mini are the Mommy Hook http://www.amazon.com/Mommy-Hook-1005-Stoller-Hanger/dp/B000JFEV1K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308081212&sr=8-1 and the Sunshine Kids Buggy Buddy http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Stroller-Accessory-Buggy/dp/B000SMWUPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308081187&sr=8-1 for holding drinks, keys, little stuff.

BabyBearsMom
06-14-2011, 04:07 PM
The two accessories I find absolutely required with my City Mini are the Mommy Hook http://www.amazon.com/Mommy-Hook-1005-Stoller-Hanger/dp/B000JFEV1K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308081212&sr=8-1 and the Sunshine Kids Buggy Buddy http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Stroller-Accessory-Buggy/dp/B000SMWUPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308081187&sr=8-1 for holding drinks, keys, little stuff.

Those are the accessories that I have as well and I love them. The one other thing you might want is a belly bar. I don't haev one but I sometimes consider getting them. The BJCM is a great stroller, light, easy to fold, great for the car (it lives in our trunk as well since we don't have a ton of space). I do really want a stroller with air tires but DH and I are TTC #2 and I agreed to hold off until we get PG again and can decide on a double stroller.

Also, as an aside, most folks I have talked to recommend waiting for 1 year before you jog with a baby instead of the 8 month minimum. I'm not a jogger, so I don't know from experience, but I have heard a lot of people say that 8 months is still to o early.

abh5e8
06-16-2011, 10:05 PM
yea....i would wait until a year for running. maybe you and dh can take turns now running and leave baby at home with the other parent :)

dh and I have had quite a few jogging strollers...for actual running. you want a fixed front wheel, big wheels (at least 16", 20 is better) and a hand break. i love love love my old style baby jogger performance series. check craigslist. even in my tiny country town they come up occasionally, for easily less the $100. if you buy new, the BJ fit does have a fixed front wheel, but smaller wheels. the BJ performance will be much smoother for actual running. i did not like the handling on the bob d'lux for running...the shocks make it much more difficult to turn.

then i would go with a nice, light weight umbrella stroller like the G-lux or triumph. that is our combo and we LOVE it.