PDA

View Full Version : stroller for two, necessary?

ArizonaGirl
06-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Hi everyone, we are TTC our second baby and are hoping to be pregnant soon (I know hahaha).

At any rate this would mean that DS is 3 years and 3 months old.

Do you think that we would need a double stroller with DS being this old. We currently have a Graco Snap and Go, Graco Mosaic stroller, and an Instep Safari All-Terrain stroller.

We don't have much money to spend so if it is too pricey we would likely be looking for used (Craigslist).

Thanks for your help

lhafer
06-14-2011, 08:05 PM
I think it would better to wait and start looking into a double whenever #2 is about to make an appearance. That way, you will for sure know how old your first child is, and what kind of stroller would be best. A double might be best if you get pregnant right away (fingers crossed for you), but if it takes a while, the perhaps just adding a stroller board to your current stash would be fine.

Good luck with #2 soon!!

ArizonaGirl
06-14-2011, 10:23 PM
I know it will be better to wait I just love researching the various options (geeky, I know).

By the way, what is a "stroller board"...

StephanieMommy
06-15-2011, 12:50 AM
I would wait and see too. A main thing to consider is whether or not you think your older child will want to sit in a stroller at that age.

My DD was 18 months when baby DS was born. I knew my DD still loves sitting in her stroller to relax or to nap, but I didn't want to spend money on a double stroller until after the baby was born. I didn't know if I would actually need it that much, but I did my stroller research anyways.

2 months after baby DS was born, I realized that I would be stuck at home if I didn't have a double stroller because I can't go out by myself with 2 separate strollers. I also realized that even when there were always 3 adults taking turns pushing 2 separate strollers, it was really difficult to go out with both kids using 2 separate strollers. So I ended up getting a double stroller (City Mini Double).

So, my suggestion is, do your research now, and buy it after the baby arrives, if needed.

StephanieMommy
06-15-2011, 12:53 AM
A stroller board is a board with wheels that attaches to the back of your single stroller so your older one can stand there for a ride. Like this one:http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3942022

legaleagle
06-15-2011, 09:08 AM
So, my suggestion is, do your research now, and buy it after the baby arrives, if needed.

:yeahthat:

There are also several new single-to-double strollers coming out in the next few months (and no doubt tweaks to existing ones), so you'd have many more optoins if that's the way you want to go.

scriptkitten
06-15-2011, 11:56 AM
it really depends on your lifestyle and where you live.

it also depends on if you think you'll need a place to restrain your older child if they start acting up in public while you are dealing with the baby.

smiles33
06-15-2011, 01:38 PM
FWIW, I didn't buy a double stroller when DD2 was born as DD1 hated strollers and stopped riding in them around 15 months old. She was 3 years 1 month old when DD2 was born. She happily walked next to the stroller or, even better, I wore DD2 in the Beco everywhere and just held DD1's hands. If money is tight, definitely try to see if you can get away with not buying a double.

anonomom
06-16-2011, 02:31 PM
My two older kids are the same age spread as yours, and I didn't buy a double stroller. By the time my second daughter came, the older one was using the stroller only for trips where there'd be lots of walking, like the Zoo, so when DD2 was tiny I'd just put her in the sling and the big one would get pushed. For every day out-and-about DD1 walked and I used the Snap-n-Go for DD2.

That said, when they were 8 months and almost 4, we went to Disney with a single Maclaran and the Ergo, and really regretted it. DD1 wanted to ride all the time, and I spent most of the trip holding DD2, who didn't want to be in the Ergo. I bought a Joovy Caboose Ultralight before our next trip and it made life a lot easier.

My advice would be to have a few options in mind so you can stalk them on Craig's List, but other than that, to wait until the baby comes to buy a double. (FWIW, I am expecting #3 now, and know that while I should take my own advice, it's taking all of my willpower not to buy a new double stroller today).

vonfirmath
06-16-2011, 02:43 PM
My son has not ridden in a stroller since he was 3y 6m old. And rarely before that. If we go to the zoo/amusement parjk/etc we might want one -- but then I figure we'll trade off on letting DS or baby ride in the stroller and someone carry the baby when needed. We just would not use the double enough to be worth it

(and if necessary, at these times, we'll have two adults and thus could push two strollers -- what my parents did with my sister and I when younger)

emily
06-16-2011, 02:53 PM
It really depends on your lifestyle. Our children are 20mos apart and we basically only use our double when we're going through the airport.

saboater
06-17-2011, 10:11 AM
A stroller board is a board with wheels that attaches to the back of your single stroller so your older one can stand there for a ride. Like this one:http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3942022

Do kids actually use these? I've never actually seen one in use, and my DS isn't walking, yet, but I can't imagine him not bolting if he's anywhere as curious as he is now.