PDA

View Full Version : If you slice open an avocado and parts of it are black,

artvandalay
06-15-2011, 10:56 AM
do you just cut around the black parts and still eat it? I hate it when this happens. Do you think it's bruising from people squeezing it? I know avocados turn black really quick when exposed to air, but I'm not sure how they get black when they are not yet cut. Or does the black mean it's going bad?

mommylamb
06-15-2011, 01:04 PM
I just cut out the black bits. I try to keep avocados in the fridge until a day before they're going to be eaten.

mickminmom
06-15-2011, 02:31 PM
I do the same...I cut around and eat the other parts. I store avocados in the frig and only take them out when I know we will be eating them soon after. Otherwise they were spoiling too quickly.

I wrap the other side with the pit in it in plastic wrap and put in frig. Anyone have a better way to store the leftovers??

elbenn
06-15-2011, 03:56 PM
I do the same...I cut around and eat the other parts. I store avocados in the frig and only take them out when I know we will be eating them soon after. Otherwise they were spoiling too quickly.

I wrap the other side with the pit in it in plastic wrap and put in frig. Anyone have a better way to store the leftovers??

I do the same, but sometimes I squeeze a little lemon juice on it.

rin
06-15-2011, 05:27 PM
I generally try to cut out the black bits, but more often than not the other parts taste bad so I end up throwing the whole thing away. I'm pretty sure the black patches are from it going bad, at least that's what it always tastes like.

We never bother saving avocados, since they always seem to turn black no matter what we do, so we generally just treat them as an eat-all-at-once kind of thing. Luckily we all love them so there's never too much of a problem getting rid of those last few slices!

LMPC
06-15-2011, 07:49 PM
I also find that by the time the black bits show up, the rest of it tastes icky. To store my unused portion, I mash it up and put it in a container. Then I lightly press saran wrap or wax paper onto the surface before putting the lid on. Works pretty well to keep out the air.