PDA

View Full Version : Can't stand receptionist at the pediatrician!!

khalloc
06-15-2011, 11:20 AM
I love our pediatrician. She has her own practice, so its just her. You always see her. She calls you back if you have her paged after-hours. Spends tons of time with you, etc...

But her new receptionist SUCKS! She is a ditz. She is completely clueless and not helpful at all. I've called her 2 times this spring about ticks. The first time my DD has 2 ticks and I didnt know for how long (1-2 days?) and we were able to get both off. She is nice on the phone but is just like "nope, we dont need to see her. ok, bye!"

Today I called again because DS had a very small tick yesterday. I know he got it yesterday and we tried to get it off but the head broke off and stayed in his skin. He wont sit still enough for us to get it out. So I tell her that and again she just replies with "no, its fine if you got it out withing 24 hours". Which is OK that he doesnt need to be seen, but god. She doesnt offer any advice like "watch the bite site for infection, bullseye, signs of lyme disease". Then she is just like "uhhh...do you have any more questions?" And I reply that No. I just wanted to check to make sure that the doctor didnt need to see him.

To clarify I am not a frequent visitor to the peds office. And once my DD had a tick (couple of years ago) where the head broke off and the doctor wanted to see her! So now I always call to be sure.

This woman just gives NO helpful information. I think from now on, I will have to ask for the Dr to call me back when she has time.

wildfire
06-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Is she a nurse? I don't expect the receptionist at my pedi's office to give medical advice, I would expect that from the doc or a nurse. I expect her to be nice when I'm scheduling my appointment or calling to say I'm running a few minutes late. Again.

khalloc
06-15-2011, 03:09 PM
No, she's not a nurse. But she didnt even ask the doctor or pretend to. I guess I was spoiled by the last receptionist. She wasnt a nurse either, but always offered to consult with the doctor and call you back to tell you what the doc said.

robinsmommy
06-15-2011, 04:35 PM
I wonder if the doctor EVEN KNOWS about the medical advice she is offering - I would call and ask the ped about that.

I once had a receptionist tell me that I could give my 6 week old cold meds when she was super stuffy - being a new mama, I believed her - a nurse I talked to later flipped over that - they never give babies that young meds, and receptionists are NOT supposed to independently give medical advice - nurses can, but not the other staff.

That is potentially a HUGE liability risk for your ped, if they don't know, they should.

KrisM
06-15-2011, 04:40 PM
I'd ask to speak to the doctor or a nurse. I would not take medical advice from a receptionist.

bubbaray
06-15-2011, 04:43 PM
I'd ask to speak to the doctor or a nurse. I would not take medical advice from a receptionist.

:yeahthat:

DrSally
06-15-2011, 06:28 PM
If she's not a nurse, she shouldn't be giving medical advice. FWIW, I thought you were supposed to go to the dr. if you couldn't get a tick head out.

ett
06-15-2011, 06:38 PM

:yeahthat: The receptionist always transfers me to the nurse line when I call with a medical question.

justlearning
06-15-2011, 06:54 PM
To clarify, were you asking her whether or not you should come in to see the Dr. or were you asking her to make an appt. and she refused to make an appt for you because she was saying that it was unnecessary?

If she refused to make an appt for you, I would definitely complain to the doctor so she knows what happened. If you were hoping to get advice about whether or not you should come in, then I'd recommend asking to speak with the doctor's nurse or medical assistant. They are more informed about medical issues and can also more easily ask the doctor a question if needed--the receptionist shouldn't be acting as a triage nurse unless she's actually a nurse.
If you did ask to speak with the nurse and the receptionist refused to transfer you, I again would recommend telling the doctor that.

crl
06-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Sounds like she needs to be trained not to answer questions above her pay grade. How annoying! I would start just asking for the nurse any time you aren't sure if you need to go in.

Catherine

khalloc
06-16-2011, 10:39 AM
There is no nurse at the pediatrician's office. its a small office with just this 1 doctor (who we love) and then whoever she has at the front desk. Once in a while she has a P.A there but I am not sure how that works. maybe when her regular receptionist is out, or when she needs help during flu-shot season? But I cant call and ask to talk to a nurse. I would have to ask to talk to the doctor.

Last time my DD has a tick head stuck in her, the doc wanted to see her. But just looked at the bite mark and said that the head would come out on its own. She also told me the tick I brought it was not one that causes Lyme Disease.

Next time I guess I will ask for a call-back from the doctor.

arivecchi
06-16-2011, 10:58 AM
I would not even bother explaining anything to this person. I would just ask that the doctor call you because you have a question.