PDA

View Full Version : Keep my Valco or get used BOB?

mom3boys
06-15-2011, 11:30 PM
So my Valco Tri-Mode has been on CL without much interest, and I had been thinking if it didn't sell it I would keep it through the summer so I have a single AT stroller for occasional beach/trails etc with the new baby--then I could try to sell again in the fall (also, because while I'm on maternity leave we will have our usual nanny part-time, so she can use the Valco for DS2 if she takes my older kids out, while I can use the Vista for DS3 for walks).

The Valco is already a 2006 model though, so I didn't want to wait too long to sell it. Today someone contacted me willing to pay asking price.

So I am debating--keep it, or sell it but maybe get a used BOB Revolution (or some other AT) to keep through summer/fall? There is currently one on my CL (don't know how long it will last)--for $200 OBO--condition looks great, not sure the year, probably a 2008 or so.

I know of the love for BOBs around here so it would seem the answer would be obvious. I would get the BOB for a fair amount less than I am selling the Valco for--primarily because I am including a LOT of accessories that are actually somewhat useful for the Valco, but that I probably don't need anymore- (bassinet--have one with the Vista so is redundant; toddler seat--probably wouldn't use since for really long trips I will take the double stroller, for short trips DS2 can walk/ride bike etc; storage bag-don't need).

However, my main concerns are that
1) DS2 (3 yo) really likes the Valco and he has plenty of room in it. He is almost 39 inches tall and long-torsoed and he fits fine. I worry about his height/folded canopy bothering him on the BOB
2) DS2 also likes to be upright, BOBs are a little reclined from what I understand
3) Unsure of the recline mechanism on the BOB--is it easy? Valco is easy and I want to be able to go between DS2 and DS3 with ease.
3) There is some hassle factor of course--The buyer said he would pay asking price if I delivered the stroller, meanwhile I would have to also pick up the BOB, so have to account for that
4)The price is great but there was no mention of accessories--I think even for short-term use I would at least have to invest in a rain cover and maybe a cupholder--have these for Valco already, of course, so the price difference may not really account for much
5) There are not many Valcos on CL so if DS2 doesn't like the BOB (or whatever else) it may not be super easy to just acquire another tri-mode.
6) Sentimentality--for whatever reason, I kind of like the idea that all of my kids will have used the same stroller

On the other hand
1) I would have the opportunity to try a BOB
2) I think the 16-inch tires would be an upgrade for exactly what I want the stroller for--trail/possible beach use
3) I would not be holding onto a bunch of unnecessary accessories for a longer period of time
4) If I like it I could keep it longer and still feel like I would get a good resale, which I worry about with the Valco as it is already 5 years old--this will depend on the model year of the BOB, of course.

Umm, any opinions? I would consider MB instead of BOB but for whatever reason there are very few on my CL (plenty of doubles, which I don't need, virtually no singles)

arivecchi
06-16-2011, 08:49 AM
If you want to try something new sell it. The valco has a higher setback, bigger basket and metal footrest. The bob will be easier to push and have a bigger canopy. No full recline and fabric footrest though.