PDA

View Full Version : Best bike trailer or seat for a 14 month old?

todzwife
06-16-2011, 12:01 AM
She's on the tiny side, but we bike a LOT. DH uses the ibert seat w/ her but my arms are too short and my boobs are too big to have her in between my arms (my chest bumps her helmet off)

We can't decide between a bike seat like the copilot limo, or a trailer. I got a cheap instep trailer but there wasn't any support and she slumped. I need a supportive seat.

Any suggestions? I'm SO frustrated because I can't ride with her and we're missing out on the summer mornings when DH is at work!

Multimama
06-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Where do you bike? The usual recommendation is to use a bike seat if you will be traffic or interacting with cars when you're biking and to use a trailer if you will mostly be on bike paths/nature places etc.

We have the iBert too, so I have no specific suggestions, but I know I have always wanted one of the Chariot trailers. They are really pricey, but they have lots of conversion kits so they can become a stroller etc.

todzwife
06-16-2011, 01:20 AM
We mostly bike in our subdivision (private country club, not much traffic but TONS of hills) and a nearby bike path (lots of hills, many joggers and other bikers).

I love the ibert, I wish I could use it, but it's so uncomfortable for me, I can't use my arms for momentum at all.

todzwife
06-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Well, I bought the copilot and it got here today, but it doesn't fit on my bike so it's going back. Total bummer because I wanted to use it tomorrow.

Multimama
06-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Well, I bought the copilot and it got here today, but it doesn't fit on my bike so it's going back. Total bummer because I wanted to use it tomorrow.

Oh, that's too bad! I just remembered about this post when I was biking today and I was going to say get the Co-Pilot but make sure it fits on your bike first. (One of the reasons we got the iBert is because we were pretty sure that a seat like the Co-Pilot wouldn't fit.)

Sorry it's so hard to find something that works! Maybe go to somewhere like REI with your bike and see if they can help you come up with a solution?

Kaylee31
06-19-2011, 02:08 PM
I have the same problem with the Ibert-- I'm too short to use it comfortably.
I just got the Copilot, but it's still sitting in the box waiting for DH to put it on my bike. I'm hoping it will fit, but now I'm not optimistic.
Does anyone have experience with the Topeak or Kettler bike seats?
I considered getting a bike trailer too (either a Burley Bee/Encore, Schwinn Joyrider, or Chariot Cheetah2) but I don't have much space, and I really don't think DS would go for it. He hates to be contained, and that is a lot of $$ to spend on something that might not get used.
I really liked the look of the Joyrider though. I'm hoping TRU will have it on sale again. The seat looks very supportive and it can fit 2 kids comfortably. It seems great for summer because of the mesh front. It also is less expensive than most Burley or Chariots and comes with the stroller conversion kit. Lhafer had a thread w/a lot of great pics of hers. http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=398511&highlight=schwinn+joyrider
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917912&CAWELAID=685345267

lhafer
06-19-2011, 05:45 PM
I have the same problem with the Ibert-- I'm too short to use it comfortably.
I just got the Copilot, but it's still sitting in the box waiting for DH to put it on my bike. I'm hoping it will fit, but now I'm not optimistic.
Does anyone have experience with the Topeak or Kettler bike seats?
I considered getting a bike trailer too (either a Burley Bee/Encore, Schwinn Joyrider, or Chariot Cheetah2) but I don't have much space, and I really don't think DS would go for it. He hates to be contained, and that is a lot of $$ to spend on something that might not get used.
I really liked the look of the Joyrider though. I'm hoping TRU will have it on sale again. The seat looks very supportive and it can fit 2 kids comfortably. It seems great for summer because of the mesh front. It also is less expensive than most Burley or Chariots and comes with the stroller conversion kit. Lhafer had a thread w/a lot of great pics of hers. http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=398511&highlight=schwinn+joyrider
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917912&CAWELAID=685345267

Yeah, so far I love my joyrider. I've used it more as a stroller to wheel the girls and walk the dogs than I have as a trailer!! :D

And I was reading a review that was really negative for the trailer because it said there wasn't a support/rollover bar. But there is. It's the band right above where the child's head goes. If you just feel the canopy you can feel it.

It is very wide - I can't get it through any of the doors in my house without taking off a wheel. But it lives in my garage, so that hasn't been an issue for me.

Here's a recent outing with the dogs....the walk was longer than usual and they got really hot and tired (they are 12 weeks old) - so they got to ride along with my DD2! DD1 was on her scooter.

ashleybama24
06-19-2011, 07:01 PM
We have a Baby Jogger Switchback and it has a flat fold so it's great for storage in small places.

Kaylee31
06-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Here's a recent outing with the dogs....the walk was longer than usual and they got really hot and tired (they are 12 weeks old) - so they got to ride along with my DD2! DD1 was on her scooter.

How adorable! Your DD2 is getting so big and even cuter! :)

citymama
06-20-2011, 12:38 AM
My neighbors have the xtracycle and live car-free thanks to it! It's insanely fabulous and I totally lust after it! They cart their kid, groceries and even each other on it!

http://www.xtracycle.com/