PDA

View Full Version : Safety issue with 2010 Peg Perego Vela Stroller

bodunc
06-18-2011, 02:18 PM
I just wanted to share my concern about a safety issue with the 2010 Peg Perego Vela stroller and see if anyone else has encountered this and/or has had the issue resolved by Peg.

We bought the Vela bc it was a nice, lightweight, versatile stroller (the infant car seat latches into it, it can then transition to a toddler stroller, it has 3 wheels, turns well and is easy to maneuver) BUT we recently started using it without the car seat for my 7 month old daughter and were horrified to discover that the safety harness routinely comes unhooked from the back cushion and therefore is of practically no use! The harness is not sewn in, snapped in, or otherwise securely attached to the stroller -- there is simply a plastic lip / hook that slides into a slit on the back of the cushion, but it is small and becomes dislodged quite readily. It is not as if my daughter is trying to get out of it -- it simply comes dislodged and she is suddenly free to sit forward and try to pull herself up and out. Luckily, she is not quite there yet, but will be in no time and the safety harness will be of no use at all.

I cannot believe that Peg put this stroller out there with such a terrible design flaw that creates a real safety hazard. I am so disappointed. I have contacted the company but have not had any response yet. As a first time parent, I didn't know enough to really examine the security of the harness before buying (but really would have thought that something so basic wouldn't be an issue).

Has anyone else encountered this and what have you done to solve it?

#2ontheway
06-29-2011, 08:52 AM
I have no experience with this particular concern, but I'm an attorney with experience in product safety and generally speaking, I think it's a good idea to report product safety concerns to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (cpsc.gov). That's what they're there for.

(I'll give the appropriate caveat here that this does not constitute legal advice.)

arivecchi
06-29-2011, 10:06 AM
It is called a floating harness. All Peg strollers have the floating harness.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=328330

Purple18
06-29-2011, 10:09 AM
My old peg aria purchased in 2006 was the same way. We didn't have major issues with it but we did have to supervise more closely. As ds1 got older I actually liked it because he could sit up taller and was happier with more freedom of movement but that was at like 2.5 yo. We definitely had our days where I wanted it to be more restricting of his moving around.

legaleagle
06-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Yes, I think this has been the main/only peg harnesses design for years and years. Obviously, if it concerns you, you should get a different stroller for your peace of mind but I can't imagine it's a serious risk of injury if they've been using it for years, in multiple countries, many of which have stricter safety requirements for strollers.

Multimama
06-29-2011, 12:14 PM
As others have said, it is called a freedom-of-movement harness. No need to get lawyers involved! It is clearly listed as a feature of this stroller in the description and in the documentation you received with the stroller.

It seems that Americans don't like this kind of harness. It used to be on all of Pegs strollers, but they have slowly been phasing it out and it can now only be found on the Vela and a few select others.

I personally think it's a great design. It is not dangerous. As another poster said, this design of harness and Peg strollers are sold all over the world. If you tighten the harness and use it correctly your child cannot get out of the stroller, they are simply free to move around and look at the world while still being safety harnessed. The little clip you mentioned is just for use while you are putting the harness on (or not using it). It is not intended to restrain your child. Your child is restrained at the waist and can't climb out because of the shoulder straps preventing this.

Sorry if I sound like some kind of Peg PR rep, but seriously, I think the freedom-of-movement harness is great and toddlers generally love it. It's a shame that it has mostly been discontinued in the US. I think this is primarily because US parents don't read the manual and don't understand this slightly more complicated, but also much more child-friendly harness system. :twocents:

BabyBearsMom
06-29-2011, 01:23 PM
I wish my BJCM had a harness like this!! I had to jerry-rig my stroller so DD is only attached at the hips because she hates being held back by the shoulder straps.

bubbaray
06-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Its not a design flaw, its an intentional harness design that works GREAT. I love Peg harnesses! I didn't know they were phasing them out in the US. That sucks.

strollerqueen
06-29-2011, 01:46 PM
As others have said, it is called a freedom-of-movement harness. No need to get lawyers involved! It is clearly listed as a feature of this stroller in the description and in the documentation you received with the stroller.

It seems that Americans don't like this kind of harness. It used to be on all of Pegs strollers, but they have slowly been phasing it out and it can now only be found on the Vela and a few select others.

I personally think it's a great design. It is not dangerous. As another poster said, this design of harness and Peg strollers are sold all over the world. If you tighten the harness and use it correctly your child cannot get out of the stroller, they are simply free to move around and look at the world while still being safety harnessed. The little clip you mentioned is just for use while you are putting the harness on (or not using it). It is not intended to restrain your child. Your child is restrained at the waist and can't climb out because of the shoulder straps preventing this.

Sorry if I sound like some kind of Peg PR rep, but seriously, I think the freedom-of-movement harness is great and toddlers generally love it. It's a shame that it has mostly been discontinued in the US. I think this is primarily because US parents don't read the manual and don't understand this slightly more complicated, but also much more child-friendly harness system. :twocents:

What she said. That clip is only there to help organize the straps. People used to complain that they got all tangled in a ball on the seat. So they put the clip up there, to help straighten them out. But people misunderstood, and thought the straps were supposed to stay on, when the harness is being used by a child. It is not. The harness is meant to pull free, so your child can sit forward and look around. So basically, your product is performing exactly as it should.

strollerqueen
06-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Its not a design flaw, its an intentional harness design that works GREAT. I love Peg harnesses! I didn't know they were phasing them out in the US. That sucks.
Hey you! How have you been? ;) If you just read all of the above comments, including from the lawyer who jumped in, you will see exactly why they are phasing them out of the US.

bubbaray
06-29-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm good. Miss you stroller folks! Alas, am moving out of that phase.... Sigh. I need someone near me to have a baby so I can play with strollers again!

strollerqueen
06-29-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm good. Miss you stroller folks! Alas, am moving out of that phase.... Sigh. I need someone near me to have a baby so I can play with strollers again!
Ah, 'tis a sad day. :gloomy::cry: Fortunately, two of my cousins just had babies! One had a boy, and one a girl, so I have new testers waiting in the wings! :D

Multimama
06-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Hey you! How have you been? ;) If you just read all of the above comments, including from the lawyer who jumped in, you will see exactly why they are phasing them out of the US.

:rotflmao:

It's so sad! I love that harness. I've never even owned a Peg, but I'm so glad they kept it on the Vela because I want one of those one day. (Yep, I'll have a stroller just for the mall. :))

legaleagle
06-29-2011, 09:11 PM
The saw the purple vela easydrive at a store a couple weeks ago and it is really pretty!

#2ontheway
07-07-2011, 03:40 PM

Just to clarify, again, I have no experience with this particular stroller and I am not suggesting I think it's unsafe or that any "legal" action is merited. I am a defense lawyer.

Rather, my suggestion is that any time you have concerns with a product's safety, it's a good idea to check in with the CPSC. Their job is to review potential product safety concerns. I also recommend getting on their email list to receive notices of product recalls and other safety announcements. Highly valuable. Your tax dollars at work.