PDA

View Full Version : Please help me! Milk production has dropped overnight!

citymama
06-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Literally from one day to the next my milk production has tanked. My breasts feel empty like they did in the days before DD1 weaned herself. I am not ready to wean Dd2. She is 13 months and I want to nurse till 18-24 months. What can I do to bring back the milk? I'm still producing some, but it feels like much less and DD is fussy and unsatisfied.

Factors leading to this point - first separation from dd2, 10 days ago over 3 days and her first time really taking a lot of bottle (expressed) milk. Then after I returned she had a virus with high fever earlier last week and the only way she would take Tylenol was mixed with milk in a bottle - DH used cows milk. Anyway, in this time she's come to love the darn bottle and even asks for a "babool" when I'm about to nurse her and refuse to nurse. In the last 3-4 days between the fever and the bottle love, she's not wanted to nurse as much. And DH hasn't helped things by giving her a bottle of cows milk on a few occasions even when I've been home and it's nursing time. (Grr. He got an earful from me about that.)

If you have any advice for me on how to bring the milk back, and how to get DD interested again in nursing rather than bottles, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

egoldber
06-18-2011, 07:36 PM
I would completely drop the bottles. She's 13 months, so she doesn't need a bottle now anyway. She can use a cup. I would also not (at least for the moment) give her any milk. As long as she is nursing some and eats a high quality diet, she doesn't need cow's milk as a replacement.

I would also try to stay home with her, be available to nurse at all hours and encourage the nursing. Make it super special and fun. Focus on her. Have DH even take your older child out and about so that you can more easily focus on her and the nursing without dividing your time.

And as much as it sucks, if you can pump to improve your supply, that may help also. You could also take fenugreek to improve supply as well.

Multimama
06-18-2011, 08:34 PM
In addition to trying to make nursing fun/special for her, I'd say try to make it relaxing for you. That can really improve milk supply. If you like the idea of taking a bath together and nursing, or nursing in a quiet/dark/lullaby place, or nursing lying down, something that relaxes you both. Also, she may be more willing to nurse when she's sleepy so if you don't already incorporate nursing into nap/bedtime routines now might be a time to try that. (You can even lie down with her when she's already asleep. Some studies have shown that even just being in the same room, even if you're not nursing, is good for nursing because your body knows your nursling is there and needs you.)

And I agree, drop all bottles and all cow's milk. She doesn't need either. And make sure your DH understands that you don't want to wean because his behavior isn't supportive. (Sounds like you've already covered that though!)

Good luck!

vludmilla
06-18-2011, 09:31 PM
No bottles for a while. Fenugreek (3 capsules, 3 times a day - your urine has to have a maple syrup smell). Eat oatmeal if you like it as breakfast and as a snack (e.g. in cookies). Eat almonds too if you like them as a snack. Increase your water intake substantially. Pump before bed and once very early in the morning if you can stand it. Good luck!

citymama
06-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Thank you, ladies. She's back to exclusively nursing although I can tell my supply is still waaay down. I'm going to pump tonight and do so for the next few days. I've never taken fenugreek but I'll make sure to get some. Water and oatmeal are great suggestions too.

Has anyone else been in this situation before with an older nursing baby and can supply be built back up?

sunnyside
06-19-2011, 12:58 AM
I've been reading about menstruation's effect on supply.

Here's just one link I found but there are many!

http://blogginaboutbabies.wordpress.com/2009/04/20/milk-supply-during-menstruation/

Do you thikn that could have somethign to do with your supply? I thought mine seems down from my period... I'll let you know if I find anything else.

sunnyside
06-19-2011, 12:59 AM
One more http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna.php?article=increasing_your_milk _supply

citymama
06-19-2011, 01:25 AM
I had totally forgotten to add "my period just returned" to the other factors in the perfect storm of the past week. Ugh. You're right, mishka.

sunnyside
06-19-2011, 01:53 AM
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I'm having a bit of a dip in supply too and Chlöe started really eating up her solids a lot more. I want to nurse her longer too.

I found this link too: Sorry for all the separate posts.

http://www.workandpump.com/boosters.htm

PGTB
06-22-2011, 05:07 PM
I've been reading about menstruation's effect on supply.

I noticed this too, my supply dips a bit before AF even though my AF is not regular yet. I sometimes feel at night my breasts are empty and I have no idea what DS can get out of them, but somehow he manages to still suck something out. Or perhaps, he is just using me as a pacifier, but as long as this calms him down and helps whatever pain he is dealing with I am not too worried about supply. he is 14 months now and most of his calories is from solids at this point. Is your DD getting frustrated she is not getting enough calories and prefers the bottle? I would think if she also likes the comfort of nursing, and using your as pacifier for naps and bedtime, she would continue to nurse regardless. The supply should return again naturally I would think as long as she nurses, maybe she is just going through a stage.

Beth24
06-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Just wondering how its going Citymama?

citymama
06-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Thank you for checking and I'm sorry I didnt update sooner. My good news is that we're back in business! :thumbsup: One side (her preferred breast, probably produces 3 times what the other produces) was back pretty much within 48 hours and the right breast is still underproducing a bit, but it's not too bad. She is back to 100% nursing and no bottle or cup milk and that has really made a difference. I drank a lot more water and let her nurse as often as she wanted - kind of like in the early days! I honestly think she was confused with the overnight switch to all bottles during my 3 day trip, followed by being sick, my reduced supply, etc etc. I hope that my supply is re-established and doesn't have any more swings for now. Thanks for the great suggestions and support!

sunnyside
06-23-2011, 01:47 AM
I am so glad to hear this update, citymama! I've kept checking in to see if you'd updated. That's great news!

My supply seems to be back too. So glad for that.

Multimama
06-23-2011, 02:10 AM
Glad things are improving!

Beth24
06-23-2011, 03:39 AM
So glad to hear it! My DS and I are still going strong too...we went through a short nursing strike a month ago while he was sick, but after a few very stressful days he went right back to nursing again.

Schmitty21
06-29-2011, 11:28 AM
I love reading through posts like this - no matter how new or old. You never know when someone else will be going through the same situation, and the support and ideas here (available 24/7!) are oh-so-comforting.

Shocked today to have my morning pump session produce very little, but after some brief panicking I am determined not to give up. :thumbsup: I went and fetched a giant thing of water and will pick up some funugreek at lunch. DS is 10.5 months and I want to go at least a year. He also is low on the weight-scale which I can't help worrying about. Part of my worry is surely affecting milk supply, so trying to manage my emotions on that.

A general thanks to all.

sunnyside
06-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Hugs Schmitty - Sorry to hear that.

Have you seen the WHO chart? My girl is smallish on the CDC charts, but pretty normal on the WHO one.

Here it is if you want to look.

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/who_charts.htm

Keep us posted.

citymama
06-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Sarah, don't give up! You can get your supply back up. I think water is the #1 thing, followed by frequent nursing. Good nutrition and rest are obviously important. I was pretty devastated by the overnight drop in supply and one side has been slow to build back up but I'm definitely back in business! Keep us posted.

Schmitty21
06-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks, ladies.

Ped was concerned about DS's weight at 9-month appointment. We're going back tomorrow for a weight check at 10.5 mos. I have seen the WHO growth charts, and have even printed them out to discuss with the ped. According to WHO, DS is 15th %ile, vs 5th on CDC charts.

I'm also reminding myself that it's not a contest where every child must strive for 50th %ile. It's more that a shift in growth curves concerns Peds, which DS has had, but every child is different. He's meeting milestones (crawling and pulling up w/ ease). Sometimes I'm like "geeze, can't there just be short/small kids in the world?!" But he's not going to triple his birth weight by his birthday. You can imagine the conversations in my head...

Scared we will get a "failure to thrive" diagnosis tomorrow. Yargghhhh.

sunnyside
06-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Sarah - Hugs to you. I understand.

Chlöe was 90th percentile and now she is around 20th... But she fares better on the WHO Chart.

She crawled at 7 months and walked at 11month on the dot.

I think they just get active/distracted. Chloe has dropped a couple nursings a day in the last couple weeks. Down from 8 or 9 times to 6 or 7 times. And some of those are VERY short. Many babies do NOT gain much between 9-12 months.

I'm worried of what our Ped will say in a couple weeks at our 1 year appt too. Please come post how it goes at your appt.

And I will say that nursing frequency has had a big effect on my supply. Drinking lots of water of course helps as well. Try not to feel too stressed. You are doing great and are giving a great gift to your baby. It will be fine. You are right also, some babies are just smaller and that is ok too.

I found this link a little bit helpful as far as explaining the WHO chart
http://www.who.int/childgrowth/faqs/why/en/index.html

Will be checking back on this thread to hear how it goes. :hug5:

Schmitty21
07-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Posting an update!

Weight-check today at 10.5 months. DS gained 1 lb 2 oz since our last appointment 6 wks ago, and Ped is not as concerned now. WHEW!!!

I pressed him on his concern at 9-months, because it caused me a good deal of worry. He said that the non-weight-gain between 6-9 months suggested more than just a caloric (food) issue. On the one hand that made me feel better b/c it meant it's not something we potentially caused (ie, not providing enough food). On the other hand it suggested something unknown and probably scarier.

But that should be a moot point now b/c DS has picked back up. Like I said, Ped not concerned now.

Thanks, Mishkamishka for your kind words and support. You are right about the distractability. They are just so busy!

Feeling much better tonight. :yay:

citymama
07-02-2011, 12:52 AM
That's great news! How much does he weigh now?

I have a smaller baby as well - DH and I were noting that at 13 months she still wears 3-6 or 6-12 month clothing and 6-12 month shoes. But she is consistently small and hitting other milestones and we are not concerned. At her 9 month checkup her growth rate had dipped a bit but she grew well b/w 9-12 months.

I hope your milk is back too!

sunnyside
07-02-2011, 02:08 AM
That's awesome news! So glad to hear it. Echoing Citymama hope your supply is back up as well.

Thanks for the update!