PDA

View Full Version : Things for kids to do in/near Cleveland,OH

HIU8
06-19-2011, 10:57 AM
We are visiting MIL over July 4th weekend. DH wanted to go for a week, but there is no way in ^#%# I would. MIL lives 1 hour from CL and 1.25ish howers from Pittsburgh. last year we took the kids to the Children's museum in Pittsburgh. This year we want to find other stuff to do. Where MIL lives is a town that pretty much has nothing. We go to playgrounds and sit and watch TV most of the time. UNLESS we drive for an hour to go do something (sorry, I'm just not used to having to drive for an hour for something to do). What is in/near CL that 4 and 6.5 yr old kids would enjoy? I need to plan each day so the kids are not bored.

SnuggleBuggles
06-19-2011, 11:06 AM
The 3 things we most enjoyed when we went to CL with the kids were:
1. The botanical gardens and natural history museum at University Circle. Bring a chance of clothes bc the kids nay get wet playing in the fun Children's garden.
2. Science center. We didn't do the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next door because I didn't think the kids would be interested.
3. There is a great playground at the JCC! It was a wonderf way to pass time

Another thought based on where you are is to go to Erie. There is one of the indoor water park hotels, a small amusement park and the beaches at Presque Isle are nice and a good way to spend a day.

Beth

fortato
06-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Museum of Natural History is fun. Especially in the summer, when the kids can see the dinosaurs outside.
Take the kids to the West Side Market for lunch.
Memphis Kiddie Park http://www.memphiskiddiepark.com/ - I refuse to take my kids on carnival rides, but we go on these every year- It's been there forever and it's cheap... .so we go!
The Cleveland Zoo is fantastic.
THE CHRISTMAS STORY HOUSE. If you like the movie, you need to at least go and take pictures of it. You have to pay to get in, but don't have to if you want to take pictures on the stairs or something.

Where does MIL live?

o_mom
06-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Natural History Museum and Great Lakes Science Center are both ASTC members, so if you have a membership to an ASTC museum you can get in free (well worth it if you will go to both and it will be good for a year all over the country).

hellokitty
06-19-2011, 12:08 PM
I agree with the others, our favs are...

-Natural history museum (if you have a science center membership, you should get reciprocal admittance)

-Botanical gardens (the only thing I hate is that it's extremely expensive to get in)

-Great lakes science museum (you should have reciprocal admittance if you have a science center membership from home)

-Cleveland Zoo is ok, we think the Columbus zoo kicks its butt though.

-There is also a children's museum for younger kids, but be warned that there is a ginormous sand pit. My DH took the kids there and turned around ask for his $ back, b/c he didn't want 2 kids covered head to toe in sand. I've also had a friend lose her dd there, b/c it is hard to keep track of your kids (not an open design).

scrooks
06-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't know which direction outside of Cleveland you will be but we are also fans of the Akron zoo. It's very small but is a nice 1-2 hour outing. The Columbus zoo is great if you aren't too far from it. The Cleveland zoo is ok...everything is just so spread out.

ohiomom1121
06-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Most of the fun things to do in Cleveland have already been mentioned but I wanted to add a few things...the Children's Museum only has that sand room occasionally. I'm pretty sure it's gone now. Otherwise it's fun and my kids always enjoy it. The Science Center and the Zoo would be my first two recommendations. The Zoo just got their elephants back from Columbus after 3 years while they were building an enormous exhibit. I would definitely check it out.

ThreeofUs
06-19-2011, 03:32 PM
PM'd you.

-There is also a children's museum for younger kids, but be warned that there is a ginormous sand pit.

Only in the Winter. Another installation is that (large) space in the summer.

mommy111
06-19-2011, 07:36 PM
1) The zoo....great for the summer! You can walk around or take a little bus.
2) Natural history museum. We loved loved loved this and it saved us many days of boredom in the winter. We had membership and I've never used a membership as much or as well. Also has an outdoors animal area with smaller animals. Lucy the Otter in the outdoor exhibits was a huge hit with my kids and their school friends
3) Botanical gardens. With butterflies. Lovely
4) Is the Circle parade on the 4th of July or is it beginning of June? If its 4th of July, definitely worth watching
5) Children's musuem...nice, more controlled pace, very much smaller. Kids loved it when they were little and we had a years membership, but we switched to the Natural History when they got older. Sands of Egypt happens only once a year or so, so if its over and done with you're safe
6) BEACH.....Cleveland doesn't really have a beach per se but the banks of the Erie are great...sand, shallow water, not the currents you expect in the ocean. Of course I hesitate to say safe water play, but safer than the real beach, at least as much fun, the only reason we didn't go there more often was because the summer is so short in Cleveland. Having said that, the 4th of July weekend was one time we always DID go!
ETA: Oh, and totally second Memphis Kiddie Park. Like an old fashioned fair ground of sorts

Babymakes3
06-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Oooh this thread is great bc I will be there for a week at the end of July with DS! I have family in Ashtabula which is about an hour from Cleveland, we'll probably hang on the beach most of the time at the lake but I was looking earlier trying to find a few fun, different things to do that we maybe don't have here.

hellokitty
06-19-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm glad that sand pit is only temporary. My DH was pretty pissed when he drove all the way up to cleveland (we are 1.5 hrs away) to go there, only to see the sand pit. When he asked for his $ back (he turned right around, so the kids didn't play with anything), he got a lecture from the box office that he shouldn't have bought tickets if he didn't like the sand pit, even though he pointed out that he did not KNOW about the sand pit before he bought tix. Anyway, they reluctantly gave his $ back.

My kids LOVE the kids discovery center in the basement of the natural history museum. So, make sure you go there if you do the natural history museum, it's all hands on stuff for grade school/preschool aged kids.

And memphis kiddie park would be great if you are going to the cleveland zoo anyway, b/c it is very close. It's like parents of young kids' answer to cedar point. They charge you per ticket for the rides (pretty cheap). I think for two kids we spent about $24 and were there for approx an hr. It is kind of dinky looking but perfect for young kids who really can't do the, "big" rides at big theme parks like cedar point and kings island and it will save you LOTS of time (footprint of the park is very small, so very minimal walking) and $.

HIU8
06-19-2011, 09:28 PM
I was looking at their website and it said that you had to be under 50 inches for most of the rides. DS is 54 inches (6 1/2 yrs). I think the park would be great for DD who is 4, but not so much for DS.

hellokitty
06-19-2011, 10:25 PM
I was looking at their website and it said that you had to be under 50 inches for most of the rides. DS is 54 inches (6 1/2 yrs). I think the park would be great for DD who is 4, but not so much for DS.

I'm glad you checked. I couldn't remember the ht restrictions. You're right, your dd would like it, but your ds is too tall to ride. That's too bad. However, there seems like there are a lot of other things you can do. I'd focus more on indoor things if it is blazing hot when you are visiting. However, if the weather is mild, the botanical gardens (their children's garden is really nicely done and very enchanting) and zoo would be good outdoor activities. The zoo is very sprawled out as another pp mentioned, so you'll want to bring a stroller for sure and there is one killer hill that I will never forget. I actually had to stop and rest mid-way up the hill, lol.

mommy111
06-19-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm glad you checked. I couldn't remember the ht restrictions. You're right, your dd would like it, but your ds is too tall to ride. That's too bad. However, there seems like there are a lot of other things you can do. I'd focus more on indoor things if it is blazing hot when you are visiting. However, if the weather is mild, the botanical gardens (their children's garden is really nicely done and very enchanting) and zoo would be good outdoor activities. The zoo is very sprawled out as another pp mentioned, so you'll want to bring a stroller for sure and there is one killer hill that I will never forget. I actually had to stop and rest mid-way up the hill, lol.
wow, we always take the bus up that hill! i am so impressed you climbed it!!!!!

SnuggleBuggles
06-20-2011, 09:16 AM

I opted to walk for exercise but I was disappointed that there was nothing to see. So not worth the walk!

Beth

HIU8
06-20-2011, 09:25 AM
My MIL will be with us and she cannot walk for a long time. Are there trams/buses to take all around the zoo? Do we need to bring MIL's wheelchair?

MrsMcGwire
06-20-2011, 09:25 AM
The Cleveland Zoo has a new elephant attraction, too, that's awesome! The only thing at the top of the hill is the aquatics, primates and cats. You can take a tram, but there is also a walkway through the woods to get up to it. The Rainforest is worth the visit all in itself.

We've been members for 10 years and can do the entire zoo in about 3 hours.

MrsMcGwire
06-20-2011, 09:26 AM
My MIL will be with us and she cannot walk for a long time. Are there trams/buses to take all around the zoo? Do we need to bring MIL's wheelchair?

Yeah there are two or 3 trams.

ETA: Here's the website - http://www.clemetzoo.com/

hellokitty
06-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Crap, I did not see a bus... that is why I walked that damn hill, lol!

scrooks
06-20-2011, 01:09 PM

:yeahthat: last summer my friend and I - both pushing doubles skipped that whole area because of the giant hill! Good for you!:thumbsup:

kboyle
06-20-2011, 05:21 PM
i live in cleveland, are i find that there's not "great" things to do here that you can't do in any other city...but hey, that's just me.

the Preston's HOPE Playground (http://www.prestonshope.com/) off of 271 in Beachwood behind the JCC is great...but be warned, it's ALWAYS super busy, my kids ages 4-8 do love it though!

Wildwater Kingdom (http://www.wildwaterfun.com/) is a great waterpark, it's especially nice for young ones...it's very family friendly. In Aurora (used to be next to Geauga Lake) I live VERY near here.

As for a beach, I LOVE Mentor Headlands (http://cleveland.citysearch.com/profile/11344272/mentor_oh/mentor_headlands_beach_state_park.html). It's REALLY REALLY clean, the sand AND the water (well, at least i don't mind my kids in it, lol).

the zoo is nice, but Columbus is much better, as is Pitts. i've got 3 kids and have NEVER felt the need to go to the Children's Museum. The Nat'l History Museum is really nice. My kids were not impressed with the Science Ctr, but again, maybe that was just me...the kids room in the basement is just a Chuck E. Cheese ball pit, lol.

fortato
06-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Or. You could just shop. There's the on B&M Step2 store in Ohio, and in Brook Park- B.A.Sweeties. The GREATEST CANDY STORE IN THE WHOLE WORLD.

HIU8
06-20-2011, 07:46 PM
We always go to Prime Outlets in Grove City (it's only 30 minutes from MIL). I didn't know there was a step2 store, hmmmm...

ThreeofUs
06-20-2011, 08:17 PM
I didn't know there was a step2 store, hmmmm...

An outlet store, yet! Pretty fun! On the south/east side of the city; off 14, I think.

sasha
06-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Lanterman's Mill is nice to visit in Youngstown, and there is a covered bridge nearby as well as hiking trails that are ok for littles.
http://www.millcreekmetroparks.com/ParksFacilities/nbspnbspnbspnbspLantermansMill/tabid/1522/Default.aspx

If you do go to Cleveland, you can also cruise Lake Erie on the Goodtime III, my kids love this.
http://www.goodtimeiii.com/cms/public-cruises/public-cruise-schedule.html

And there is a old railroad line near the Cuyahoga National Park that is open for rides, another favorite for my boys.
http://www.cvsr.com/

hellokitty
06-20-2011, 11:38 PM
kboyle, I grew up in the Cleveland area I pretty much agree with you that Cleveland is eh when it comes to stuff like that. I love C-bus though, it's such a different flavor from Cleveland.

kboyle
06-28-2011, 01:18 PM
An outlet store, yet! Pretty fun! On the south/east side of the city; off 14, I think.

I live 2 seconds from the step 2 store...it's teeny.