PDA

View Full Version : Leapster or Leapster Explorer

snowbunnies300
06-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Please help me figure out what is really the difference between these two. I have three autistic kiddos and really have no interaction with these types of toys. DS2 is playing a lot on the computer at Starfall.com. We also have an Ipad that he has a game where he can practice spelling words. I see they have a new product coming out called LeapPad. Looks interesting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gena
06-20-2011, 09:11 AM
The Leapster Explorer has more features including a larger screen, ebooks, add-ons like a camera, downloadable apps, etc. The Leapster Explorer cannot use the games for the older systems.

My DS with autism got a Leapster 2 when he was about 4.5 years old (he's 7 now). He enjoyed it a lot, and played with it in spurts. For weeks he would play with it constantly, then for a month or so he wouldn't play it at all. There were a few games he really enjoyed and others didn't appeal to him at all.

But to be honest, DS has not played with his Leapster at all since getting his iPad last fall (it was a gift from my brother). There are so many great apps for kids with autism that just surpass anything on the Leapster IMO.

AlbrightRC
06-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Between the two I like the explorer better..bigger brighter screen. I have seen the advertisement for the new leappad coming out and I would probable hold out for that .

snowbunnies300
06-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Thank you for the replies. The Ipad is for the oldest DS. DS2 and DS3 also play with it. We will hopefully get Tap to Talk on the Ipad and then download the PECS symbols so that DS1 can "talk" to us. DS2 doesn't want to share the Ipad and I know that once we have the PECS part on it he won't be able to use it much as DS1 will have as more of a communicational device than a play one. I just can't swing purchasing two more Ipads so that each can have their own. I know that if DS3 who is 4 doesn't start to talk soon then we will look into one for him.