PDA

View Full Version : When does the 40 minute nap thing end?

momm
06-20-2011, 08:37 AM
(Not said in a whiny tone, but an actual information seeking tone)

9 month old still wakes up from naps every.40.minutes on the dot. Like a timer goes off in his head. I can usually get him back to sleep but again it's for 40 minutes.

I know this is pretty common but I was wondering at what age this stopped for you guys that experienced it?

♥ms.pacman♥
06-20-2011, 08:43 AM
went thru the same thing with ds at around the same age. he would wake up cranky too. it sucked! it didnt really end consistently until i moved DS to a 1-nap a day schedule at 15mos. it got so much better after that. he would nap 2-3 hours straight.

BallerinaMommy
06-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Is he falling asleep on his own or are you rocking him to sleep? This exact thing was happening to us until DS learned to fall asleep on his own...now he naps anywhere from 1.5-2 hours!

amldaley
06-20-2011, 09:18 AM
I *think* it was in Weisbluth that I read that this is waking after the first phase, which can mean they are not getting the benefits of deep sleep. One of the culprits was over-stimulation prior to nap time or stimulation too close to nap time.
Maybe try a mini-version of your night time routine? Also, darken the room as best you can! Light is a killer on their sleep routine!

newg
06-20-2011, 02:44 PM
I was having this problem with DD2 until I completely blacked-out her room. No night light and black-out curtains....her room is pitch black.......now if she does wake up, she quickly falls back asleep.
She just woke up from a 2.5 hr. nap

I also make sure her night and nap routine are the same.........no rocking her to sleep either. I just put her in her sleep sack, lay her down, give her her blankie and put her music on.

Oh, the only thing that seems to disrupt her naps is teething. She takes short naps when she's getting a tooth......about 90min. max is all she'll do.