PDA

View Full Version : Thinking through strollers- Indie Twin vs. Duet, and would a BJCMD be overkill?

kep
06-20-2011, 08:50 AM
I thought I had the stroller thing figured out. I am basically selling off everything in my current stash, (except for the Onyx), and starting over. I want to add two strollers, one for everyday use, and a lighter and easier travel type stroller.

We are in the burbs, so we are in and out of the Sienna all day long. I am going to have a newborn and a 2.5 year old in the fall. I was planning to pre-order the Duet and then get a CMD for a secondary stroller, but the more researching I am doing on the Indie Twin, the better it sounds. It is not significantly heavier than the Duet, and if you do not count the Duet, the Indie is one of the narrowest twin strollers out there. And, I am getting so tired of black strollers. ;) I also love the footrests that come up for sleeping toddlers.

My biggest concern about the Indie is the fold. I watched the video review on Baby Gizmo, and honestly it seems like a PITA, especially if it is being folded/unfolded several times during the day. And I kind of hate the idea of having to remember to fold down the bumper bars or remove the snack packs each time before folding. How bad is it really?

The cost is not a big deciding factor, but I am trying to figure out if I should be looking at the 2010 or 2011 version. The reviews on the '11 seem mixed, and one of the colors I like is not offered in the newer version (the orange and blue).

Does anyone have any IRL pictures of the Indie Twin? Maybe that would help.

Two of the ones I am considering are these two on my CL:
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/bab/2449781809.html
http://annapolis.craigslist.org/bab/2447688197.html

They are really new and come with the snack holders. I am not sure about the white lining on the red, and I can't find any pictures of it up close. Hmmm.

Help me, fellow stroller crazies. :rotflmao:

crl
06-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Well, it seems likely to me that the Indie seats will be wider so that would likely mean a longer use for the stroller. I would avoid white!

I haven't folded my single indie since I put the bumper bar on--it lives unfolded in my entry hall. And I don't have the snack pack so I can't help there.

Does that help?

Catherine

Kaylee31
06-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Well, I have no experience w/doubles, but I think the BJCMD is really going to be the best double for you if you plan on getting it in & out of the car a lot. It's what, about 10 lbs lighter than the Indie? And has a more compact fold.
The Indie does look really nice (so pretty!), and it has a lot of newborn-friendly features. It just might be a pain to haul around often and probably doesn't push as well as an MB does. It could potentially be a one & only though, if you're willing to put up with a few flaws. Maybe a P&T could be a contender too?
Personally, I think the Indie twin & BJCMD would be overkill. I'm not sure about the Duet yet. If it was me, I would want a car double (BJCMD or B-Ready); and a rugged AT double (MB Duo or BOB).

arivecchi
06-20-2011, 12:06 PM
You cannot beat the bjcmd as a car double. Stick with a mb or bob for your all terrain double. They have the best push.

momtoax3
06-20-2011, 04:57 PM
I have an Indie Twin and live in suburbia. I had a BJCMD that I sold after I got my Indie Twin. The BJCMD just couldn't handle slushy/snowy parking lots like the Indie can.

I actually just kept the bumper bars off my Indie Twin for most of the time cause I generally don't like bumper bars and use other things to tether sippy cups and whatnot to. Even with them though, I think the fold is easy, fold the front down by pulling the things on the bar, pull on the seat straps back. I don't secure it with the locks, just throw it in the back of my Durango.

Between the 2010 and 2011, there aren't any structural changes. Just the colors and that the tire pump and raincover are no longer included. So if you find a deal on a 2010, that would be good.

That all being said, the BJCMD is a great car double, it just didn't suit us. I needed a double full-time because my girls are close in age, so it is nice to have one that is great indoors and out.