PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on "computer" like toys

janine
06-20-2011, 09:11 AM
DD (aged 2.5) is obsessed with my computer - she is slowly taking it over. She plays games, double clicks what she wants, pretends to type emails, is typing small words. This is great, but I need my computer back! She has her own V-tech laptop but it's become too boring for her.

I see tons of toys like Leapster, LeapFrog (Learn to Spell,etc) but not sure which are good educational interactive toys and which are just more of the same (blinking and loud with kids boring quickly of them).

I'd love to hear suggestions/feedback from BTDT moms! Thanks

SnuggleBuggles
06-20-2011, 09:19 AM
We have a Leapfrog one like the V-Tech one. Nothing at all compares to the real computer. Thankfully we have 2 computers! He's happy with the iTouch if he can't have the computer.

Beth

Reyadawnbringer
06-20-2011, 09:23 AM
We have the leapfrog clickstart. It has a fullsize keyboard and mouse and plugs into the TV so I don't have to worry about DS deleting files on our PC. He only plays the basic game that is preloaded on it right now, but he loves it so we are looking into other games for him. They seem to be mostly typing and spelling games, so maybe that might work for your DD...

janine
06-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks! I remember a few people mentionong Ipads in prior threads - is this something people have purchased for their kids and when is the appropriate age? I have no clue on apple products.

SnuggleBuggles
06-20-2011, 10:02 AM
The iTouch is little and not crazy expensive, when compared to other Apple things. Ds2 can stay occupied when we are waiting in lines or at a restaurant playing on my iTouch. It's great. I like it because it is so multifunctional- movies, music, games, apps, email/ internet when in wireless range... I love it. :) It's mine and I let the kids play with it.

Beth

AlbrightRC
06-20-2011, 10:37 AM
I just got an itouch for my birthday and my child is slowly taking it over. He'll be 3 next week.

Dream
06-20-2011, 11:15 AM
I have the same issue with DD1, the minute I open my laptop she wants to use it. I would also like to see if there's something that's close to a real laptop, not ones with kid sounds and stuff.