PDA

View Full Version : TMI: Peeing while you have your period question

MMMommy
06-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Sorry if this is TMI. I am wondering if anyone else has this problem. So I am a croucher when it comes to using public toilets. I never sit. I crouch and aim and make sure no part of my body touches the public toilet. Whenever I have my period (including right before it comes), my pee ricochets and goes in every direction. When I have my period, my urine stream is just wacko. When I don't have my period, my urine stream is normal, straight and goes where it should go.
Does anyone else who crouches experience this when they have their period?

Again, sorry if it is TMI.

Hippoharbor
06-20-2011, 02:15 PM
While I do not recognize that I have had this problem with urine stream in the past while menstruating, it seems that it would be normal occurance, assuming the monthly hormonal changes cause mild swelling/engorgement of the genitals.

indigo99
06-20-2011, 03:47 PM
It's probably the norm way for some people, and some never experience it. I know that I've had that problem when I'm completely bare of hair down there. Just another reason I try to avoid sitting on the toilets.

wellyes
06-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Please sit. Lots of people DO sit, especially little kids and older people who can't effectively squat. Urine is pretty sterile, but blood is not. So if you think it is remotely likely that you won't be able to keep the entire flow from touching the seat, please please please sit.

Cam&Clay
06-20-2011, 05:23 PM
:yeahthat:

I stopped crouching years ago. The door handle is worse than the toilet seat and I always made a horrible mess when crouching.

neobunny
06-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Not to mention all the people who don't sit on the toilet, make a HUGE mess on the seat, & don't clean it up! So please stay seated for the entire performance. That way you don't have to worry about your pee shooting everywhere.

deborah_r
06-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Please sit... please please please sit.

I wish everyone would just sit too! I just know it's the squatters who leave the mess!

indigo99
06-20-2011, 07:26 PM
I use the seat covers or TP on the seat to avoid sitting on it. Especially while pregnant, I'm just not able to crouch all that well, but if it is already wet and a mess then I'll go to another stall or hover.

SnuggleBuggles
06-20-2011, 07:40 PM
I haven't had that issue but my flow hasn't been great since childbirth.

Really, it's just the skin of your butt touching, right? it's not like exposed girlie parts touch anything, they are over the bowl. That's what made me start sitting. I squat only if dirty (not really too dirty looking but I get the feeling based on the state of the whole restroom) or a port a potty. I can squat and pee neatly though if I need to.

Beth

Melaine
06-20-2011, 07:56 PM
I wish everyone would just sit too! I just know it's the squatters who leave the mess!

Fairy
06-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Please sit. Lots of people DO sit, especially little kids and older people who can't effectively squat. Urine is pretty sterile, but blood is not. So if you think it is remotely likely that you won't be able to keep the entire flow from touching the seat, please please please sit.

What's the big deal? I guarantee you, the seat is cleaner than the knobs and handles everywhere else in there. Just sit your butt down and take a load off, seriously.

As for the riccocheting, seems pretty straight-forward to me, blood blocks the urethra, you get spraying. Not really abnormal. Just kinda a gross fact of life, really.

crayonblue
06-20-2011, 07:57 PM

I totally agree. I use one or two of the seat covers or wrap the whole thing in toilet paper. No crouching and no mess for the next person. Although, why in the world don't the crouchers clean their pee off the seat????

This thread is making me wish I could avoid ever using a public restroom again.

gatorsmom
06-20-2011, 08:04 PM
This happens to me too, so when it's that time of the month, I do sit on the seat, but I put toilet paper on the seat before I sit.

3isEnough
06-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Well, as a fellow croucher ;) I'll respond to the question posed. I don't have the same experience as you in that my stream is the same whether AF is aboard or not, but I know when I really have been holding it and have to go NOW, the stream is definitely a bit wonky. I chalk it up to the increased pressure of a full bladder, so I'd guess the AF-affected stream is the same :p

MMMommy
06-20-2011, 08:46 PM
:bag

For the record, I do make sure to clean up after if that happens. But I will definitely think twice before squatting during AF time now.... I may have to convert to sitting.

Now I regret starting this thread. Cringe, cringe.

Hippoharbor
06-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Wow, I had no idea that there were so many non-squatters here. I do squat and urinate neatly. If ever I do dribble on the seat, I do wipe it up. I understand that the door handle is dirtier than the toilet seat, BUT I can wash my hands afterwards, but not my buttocks. I do not want that bathroom funk to be transferred to my clothes, etc.

Fairy
06-20-2011, 09:44 PM
To the squatters (and we've had some funny polls and conversations about this ... I recall references to women being pigs in their restrooms just as much as men), I do get it. I see why one may simply not have it in them to sit. I've become germaphobic since DS to a degree, myself. I just get uppity when I go into a potty and someone has left pee on the seat, and why on eartth do ppl do that and not clean up? Not to point any fingers at anyone here. Just speaking generally. So I sit and am done with it.

sasha
06-20-2011, 09:56 PM
If you want to squat or hover, lift the seat up with the toe of your shoe or a bit of TP to protect your hand, then put the seat back down when you are done. That keeps the seat clean for the rest of us.

I read this suggestion in a rant from a woman who used a wheel chair and was limited to ONE choice when using public restrooms, the handicap stall. And I think she is absolutely brilliant and right.

wellyes
06-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Now I regret starting this thread. Cringe, cringe.Nah, no reason to cringe. There are a whole lot of all-the-time squatters out there, and I think everyone does it sometimes.... someone mentioned port-a-potties. Ugh.

I do get skeeved out in public restrooms more now than ever, since DD is recently potty trained. She has no hesitation to sit or put her hands ANYWHERE. Or pick up random trash from the ground. Or try to open the little garbage can **shudder**. I am solidly in the "flush with your shoe" camp and the "sing happy birthday twice" washing club. I've grown to hate air dryers since how do you open the door without the paper towel you use to dry your hands??

If you want to squat or hover, lift the seat up with the toe of your shoe or a bit of TP to protect your hand, then put the seat back down when you are done. That keeps the seat clean for the rest of us.

I read this suggestion in a rant from a woman who used a wheel chair and was limited to ONE choice when using public restrooms, the handicap stall. And I think she is absolutely brilliant and right.

BRILLIANT!

MMMommy
06-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Actually, I do the lift the seat before squatting during that time of the month. It helps a lot b/c you end up having much more area for the pee stream (or errant pee stream) to land in. It really does help a lot!