PDA

View Full Version : what to do for traveling by plane? help!

jacksmoma
06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
So i just sold my bee and now will just have a single 2011 bob now (long story!!)...should i take the bob single and gate check or should i buy an uppa baby g-luxe for this trip and keep in the back of the car (won't get tons of use, maybe 1-2 times a week as my youngest is 2 and walks most places...). Not sure if i should get a g-luxe or just use the bob and say a prayer as far as gate checking goes! help!

larasmama
06-20-2011, 07:24 PM
If you are not opposed to the idea of a used stroller you could buy an umbrella stroller on CL and then sell it again when you get back assuming this is a one time trip. You can use a liner if the fabric isn't washable. Sometimes there are even brand new strollers on CL. Just a thought. Or you could get the 2010 g luxe vs the 2011 and save some money. HTH.

crl
06-20-2011, 08:43 PM
I agree I'd get something off CL.

Catherine

bubbaray
06-20-2011, 09:07 PM
P3 is a great travel stroller for 2 kids.

swissair81
06-20-2011, 09:49 PM
I just went away for a week with my hubby and two younger kids. We went to Israel and Switzerland, and since both of those places are rather mountainous, I brought Swifty and a Pikkolo. We had a minor incident when I ran over a tack at 4 am in the Tel Aviv airport (you really don't want to know), but my brother in law brought the tire to a bike shop to be patched when we got to Zurich. Over the course of our trip, we were on 5 flights- 3 of those were international. Swifty would still be as good as new, if my husband hadn't decided to leave his fruit smoothie inside the hood of the stroller, allowing it to leak everywhere.

Kaylee31
06-20-2011, 10:41 PM
I think you should get another BJCM for travel. ;) Less expensive and lot lighter than the BOB; and would probably be a better option than the G-luxe for using outside on your trip.

jacksmoma
06-20-2011, 10:58 PM
thanks all! i got new bobby today (my new bob!) and he is super small (compared to my duallie at least...) Think I will just take my new bob since i just can't be without that fab push or great canopy from the hot michigan sun. I love that both my toddlers can hope in for a ride too if need be (priceless feature!) Will update how it went in a few weeks :)

abh5e8
06-21-2011, 12:00 AM
wait...so which bob did you get?

Multimama
06-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Okay, I need to know what made you decide to trade in your Duallie for a single?? Last post I saw you had just tried to take the Bee out and ended up carrying one kid home again?? Need the long story! :)

Have no advice about travel strollers though. I would probably get a Starck off Albee, but that's because I just love it. :heartbeat:

arivecchi
06-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Swifty would still be as good as new, if my husband hadn't decided to leave his fruit smoothie inside the hood of the stroller, allowing it to leak everywhere.:eek:

Oh. No.

arivecchi
06-21-2011, 10:36 AM
OP, I would take the BOB since you will be walking a lot. Just bag it.

Good luck!

jacksmoma
06-21-2011, 11:27 AM
long story short the bee was just for a play, not too keep forever :) my almost 4 year old is scootering most places when we walk to the library or park or shops a few times a week so the duallie was just too huge and my dh only like to push one while jogging so there you go. I really really love the 2011 revo single, it's super super nice, it's not as long as the duallie either and the footwell is much deeper (much more slack with fabric). Took it to the local outdoor mall here yesterday and worked great, just think we are getting out of the double stroller phase and can't afford to have the double bob for use once a week you know? Anyways, think i will take the bob, would love to try the g-luxe but i know from past experience i never "love" and umbrella stroller so i'll just take bob.

One more ??- do I get one of those red gate check bags off amazon (think they are like $15) or just use a clear trash bag or maybe nothing? They better not rip the foam or dent the frame!!! I need stroller travel insurance!!

bubbaray
06-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Personally, I would not gate check a valued stroller in one of those red gate check bags. I own two and use them exclusively for my travel strollers (currently have 3). I'm not sure a BOB single would fit in the red bag either. It would be tight I think. There is zero padding.

ijopint
06-21-2011, 12:39 PM
I would just get the Bob stroller bag to protect your stroller and check the airline if the Bob size is too big for gate checking.

Multimama
06-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Jacksmoma, you are an inspiration to people like me who have trouble parting even with strollers they don't actually like very much. Must. keep. selling.

jacksmoma
06-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Jacksmoma, you are an inspiration to people like me who have trouble parting even with strollers they don't actually like very much. Must. keep. selling.

lol well i do remember that i can always get another one and i try to focus on the new one i am usually selling it to get!!! i really looooove my new single 2011 bob, the black/gray are so sleek and it's so small for such a great stroller! will call delta soon and make sure about gate checking it. will be so perfect for all our things planned in michigan with our fam :)

mackmama
06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
We gate-checked our Bee+ on our recent trip. We used a red gate bag, and I took off the wheels and put them in a separate bag inside the red bag. I also bungee'd a towel around the Bee inside the red bag to add a little padding and protection. It came out good as new. You might want to call the airlines though and just make sure the Bob is not too big to gate-check.

swissair81
06-21-2011, 10:49 PM
thanks all! i got new bobby today (my new bob!) and he is super small (compared to my duallie at least...) Think I will just take my new bob since i just can't be without that fab push or great canopy from the hot michigan sun. I love that both my toddlers can hope in for a ride too if need be (priceless feature!) Will update how it went in a few weeks :)

Hot Michigan sun? Currently, your kids are more in danger of being bombarded by incessant Michigan rain. Blech.

jacksmoma
06-22-2011, 07:33 PM
lol i guess you are right! raining and muggy one minute then hot and muggy the next! thats a good idea about the towel and the red gate check bag- i read some reviews where people say that the bag was more of a pain then help and others say it was good to have...not sure what to do on that!