PDA

View Full Version : How to baby wear a 2 year old? Help please

blue
06-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi. I have only worn DS once or twice when he was a few months old (in some cheap evenflo carrier I no longer own). DS never seemed to like it... Lately DS wants to be held and carried around the house a lot (he is VERY clingy/ possible teething). Since he will be two years old this month, carrying him for any length of time is not easy..... Do any of you ladies have any suggestions for a carrier? Is their anything like a wrap i could make and use for him (I am not sure if that is the correct word, I don't know much about babywearing)? Currently I am using my cross body purse and sitting DS on the purse and he wraps his legs around my waist (it helps for short periods of time). Thanks

crl
06-20-2011, 11:50 PM
I think a soft structured carrier with padding in the straps would work best. I know some people use woven (not stretchy) wraps with older kids, but I think of that as advanced baby wearing;). An ergo might work, but I think there are some carriers designed for older kids and one of those might be better. No personal experience though. I'd check out the babywearer forums.

Catherine

DebbieJ
06-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Something like an ERGO is good, but that might not be the best choice because the body length is somewhat short.

Maybe check out http://catbirdbaby.com// and contact Beth to see if she has suggestions. She is a BBB mom.

goldenpig
06-21-2011, 12:02 AM
I use my Ergo all the time! It's perfect for toddlers. It has a weight capacity of 40 lb (although on their website they show that even a small adult can be carried in the Ergo!). I still carry my almost 4 year old DD around in it--just did yesterday in fact. She mostly walks when we go on outings, but every once in a while when she's tired or cranky she wants to be carried, and it's so much easier than carrying her in my arms. Plus your hands are free to carry other items or do housework, etc. She is 29 lb and DS is 15 months and 20 lb. It's very comfortable, my back doesn't hurt (I never had the Bjorn but my sister had both and she said the Ergo is way better). Both DD and DS prefer the Ergo to riding in strollers. (Both of them are clingy and like to be carried a lot). I always bring both the double stroller and the Ergo and we end up pushing the stroller as a giant diaper bag cart. You can use the Ergo in front or back (I usually do front carry). It's also very simple to put on and use and adjust (I had also bought a Beco but I didn't like it because it was more difficult to put on and to unsnap the straps). The Ergo sounds perfect for your needs...you should try it! It's one of my best baby purchases ever!

twowhat?
06-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Our 2yos are about 50th %tile in weight and height and can still ride in the Beco butterfly, though I'd recommend the Beco for smaller kids. I would only recommend the back carry for toddlers.

I've tried them in an Ergo before too and that works just as well, but with a bit of a learning curve to get into a back carry. The Ergo would work better for a larger child (I think). It is wider, and I would think that being shorter in the back would be fine for a 2yo - they don't need support as high up the back.

The toddler Patapum is made specifically for toddlers (and even preschoolers) so that might be a good option too.

larig
06-21-2011, 01:22 AM
I use my Ergo all the time! It's perfect for toddlers. It has a weight capacity of 40 lb (although on their website they show that even a small adult can be carried in the Ergo!). I still carry my almost 4 year old DD around in it--just did yesterday in fact. She mostly walks when we go on outings, but every once in a while when she's tired or cranky she wants to be carried, and it's so much easier than carrying her in my arms. Plus your hands are free to carry other items or do housework, etc. She is 29 lb and DS is 15 months and 20 lb. It's very comfortable, my back doesn't hurt (I never had the Bjorn but my sister had both and she said the Ergo is way better). Both DD and DS prefer the Ergo to riding in strollers. (Both of them are clingy and like to be carried a lot). I always bring both the double stroller and the Ergo and we end up pushing the stroller as a giant diaper bag cart. You can use the Ergo in front or back (I usually do front carry). It's also very simple to put on and use and adjust (I had also bought a Beco but I didn't like it because it was more difficult to put on and to unsnap the straps). The Ergo sounds perfect for your needs...you should try it! It's one of my best baby purchases ever!

:yeahthat: still carrying around my 38lb 3 year old. Back carry is best for me now that he's so big, otherwise I can't see over his head! I'd also second that it was one of the best baby purchases for me.

citymama
06-21-2011, 01:29 AM
For what you're describing, I think the Scootababy would be a great option. I use mine for hip carries with DD2 and wish I had had somethingike that when DD1 was an older toddler.

wendibird22
06-21-2011, 07:09 AM
I used my Beco when DD1 was 2yo. Either back carry or rolled and used as a ledge for a hip carry. I eve back carried her while hiking hills scouting an Xmas tree when I was 6mos preggo with DD2 and she and I were both comfy.

larig
06-21-2011, 11:03 AM
actually, I've been a huge ergo fan, and have loved mine, but PP's post about the Patapum made me curious. When I looked for it, I found that the site where I saw the Patapum was clearance saling that and replacing it in their store with the boba.
http://www.theportablebaby.com/bobaorganic.html

I'm intrigued by the Boba, the foot (stirrups) and wider seat are nice features. And the organic one is made in US

ABO Mama
06-21-2011, 11:17 AM
The ergo has a short body, so it's not the best choice for an older baby who leans. A ssc with a taller body will suit your needs better. The Oh Snap! by BabyHawk, or the Toddler Patapum are both good choices. I also have a Scootababy, and it is an excellent hip carrier (it's only downside is that it is limited to only hip carries, so if you have touchy shoulders, skip this one). Woven wraps also work really well for toddlers (a stretchy wrap, like moby, will not work).

pb&j
06-21-2011, 11:35 AM
I use a hotsling pouch with 2.5 y.o. DD. It's easy to get on/off in/out. I mostly hip carry, but can easily slide her around to my back if I'm cooking dinner or something where I don't want her reaching in front of me. I don't do a back carry for extended periods, though.

I have a Beco, but she refuses to ride in it, and it's a lot of trouble to get her all harnessed up in it when she typically wants to get up and down a lot.

blue
06-21-2011, 03:27 PM
I used my Beco when DD1 was 2yo. Either back carry or rolled and used as a ledge for a hip carry. I eve back carried her while hiking hills scouting an Xmas tree when I was 6mos preggo with DD2 and she and I were both comfy.

Rolling the carrier up and using it as a ledge might work well for DS...I wonder if that works with other carriers as well?.... It kind of sounds like my improvised purse carrier---easy for me to get DS up and down quick.

ABO Mama
06-21-2011, 03:37 PM
There is the hippychick (http://www.hippychick.com/index.cfm/product/hippychick-hipseat-15), but I've never tried it, and it's not hands free.

The patapum (http://www.theportablebaby.com/toddlerpatapum.html) can also be rolled down and snapped.

blue
06-21-2011, 03:38 PM
I like the idea of back carriers and the ergo and others you ladies mentioned. But, I am wondering if they might work better for my DS out doors for longer periods of time... At home he wants to be picked up and carried around the house a lot lately, but not when we are out and about. I am not sure he would put up with an ergo or back carrier that would take longer to get in and out of (especially with my complete lack of experience with carriers ;))

I use a hotsling pouch with 2.5 y.o. DD. It's easy to get on/off in/out. I mostly hip carry, but can easily slide her around to my back if I'm cooking dinner or something where I don't want her reaching in front of me. I don't do a back carry for extended periods, though.

I have a Beco, but she refuses to ride in it, and it's a lot of trouble to get her all harnessed up in it when she typically wants to get up and down a lot.

The sling idea sounds interesting, especially because DS likes to be on my hip at home.... Is that something I could make out of fabric?... or would it be better to buy since I am inexperienced with carriers?........ Thanks for all the input so far ladies, if you have anymore ideas/advice I am all ears... Also I checked out the babywearwebsite, looks useful, but a bit overwhelming (for me) to sort through now.

blue
06-21-2011, 03:43 PM
There is the hippychick (http://www.hippychick.com/index.cfm/product/hippychick-hipseat-15), but I've never tried it, and it's not hands free.

Oohh, I like the idea of the hippychick! .... any parents here used it before? .... It's funny, I was just thinking last night that I should get a fanny pack and use it to prop DS on my hip. It would certainly be easy up and down.

ABO Mama
06-21-2011, 05:48 PM
A ring sling is super easy to make. All you need are a pair of rings (slingrings (http://slingrings.com/index.php), not craft store rings, since they are not strong enough) and a few yards of fabric (I would suggest linnen). Since you are on thebabywearer, look at the DIY forum for lots of help making your own carrier (more DIY info here (http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/sling.html)).

lhafer
06-22-2011, 11:46 AM
I didn't even get my Ergo until my DD1 was 2.5 years old!! I back carried her all the time and it was great. I would strap it around my waist and squat down. I could ask her to get on my back for a piggy back ride, and then I could pull the carrier up. Worked great.

Momto1
06-22-2011, 01:29 PM
I've got a Boba and DD (25 months) and I both love it!

I had an Ergo previously, but my DD was a "leaner" so I didn't feel comfortable with her being on my back and leaning back. The Boba is super comfy and easy to use.

I also think a ring sling for a hip carry might be a nice option for around the house.

hellokitty
06-22-2011, 01:34 PM
A ring sling would be easiest for the toddler getting in and out frequently. The hippy chick looks interesting, BUT it looks like it would be annoying when you are bending over w/o a kid on it, it would get in the way. I use my mei tai with a back carry for my soon-to-be 2 yr old and he loves it. I find that it works better for me, b/c I prefer to have his wt distributed btwn two shoulders, rather than just one in the ring sling. I don't like the ring sling when they are too heavy, but that's just me. I typically prefer two shoulder carriers, unless it's a very young/tiny baby.

citymama
06-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Again: Scootababy!

http://www.scootababy.com/images/done1_small.jpg

Beth24
06-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Again: Scootababy!

http://www.scootababy.com/images/done1_small.jpg

:yeahthat:!!!

Use it for my very heavy almost one year old around the house, for errands, pick ups and drop offs and for travel. It is a life saver!

melrose7
06-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Glad to hear that some of you use your ergos with bigger kids. I had a moby with DS after not carrying my DDs and I used it almost daily until 8-9 months. I bought a ergo when DS was 5 months old but haven't used it so I was debating about selling it. Do most of you do the back carry after a year or still front carry? Do they not mind not facing out when they are bigger? DS is 15 months and 21lbs 31 inches.

crl
06-22-2011, 10:49 PM
My 15 month old is fine in the Ergo. She was 21.5 pounds at her 12 month appointment. I forget length, but she's tall.

I switched to back carry a couple of months ago. I am a wimp and she is too heavy for me on front for any length of time these days. She is content as long as I am moving. If I stand still for more than a minute or two, she gets irked. I don't use it in the house, just for occasional outings.

Catherine

melrose7
06-23-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't use it in the house, just for occasional outings.

Catherine

thanks. I am thinking for outings/walks so maybe I'll give it a try.

citymama
06-23-2011, 12:47 PM
We used our Ergo with my older DD on a daily basis till she was 24-26 months. After that just for hikes or airports or other occasional use.

AnnieW625
06-23-2011, 02:17 PM
We used our Beco carrier with DD1 from the time she was almost 2 until she was about 3/1/2. DH used it most of the time.

blue
06-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all the ideas everyone.... I am leaning towards the scootababy or ergo. Unfortunately there are not any stores around to try them out, so I may end up flipping a coin ;)

BayGirl2
06-27-2011, 07:46 PM
We use our Pikkolo or Beco Butterfly with DS for back carries while out. A Scootababy or Ergo would be similar - but it seems like Scootababy is more recommended for toddlers.

For quick hip carries like you described we use a pouch sling. I really like SlingLings brand because they have a wide range of sizes and good sizing info online. I've never been a ring sling fan, the extra fabric look is just not my style, but I know some people love them. I personally wouldn't attempt making a sling if you are not very familiar with them and not an experienced sewer with a pattern. There are lots of deals to be found online.

blue
06-27-2011, 11:09 PM
I personally wouldn't attempt making a sling if you are not very familiar with them and not an experienced sewer with a pattern. There are lots of deals to be found online.

Yes, I agree. I have been thinking about my sewing ability lately (or lack of ability ;)) and decided not to try to sew a sling myself for safety... (what if I didn't sew it correctly and DS falls from the carrier etc).

I will go the buying route..... If any of you ladies/guys have recs for deals, it would be greatly appreciated too :). Thanks
..... I still have not gotten around to flipping on coin on choosing a sling yet, so it may come down to price