PDA

View Full Version : OTC cough meds--update post 6

crl
06-20-2011, 11:44 PM
I have a frequent cough, a bit of congestion alternating with post nasal drip and no other symptoms. Haven't had any real trouble sleeping once I manage to get to sleep, so far. Any suggestions for an OTC medicine to suppress this cough?

Thanks!
Catherine

tmahanes
06-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Our ped told us to use a spoon of buckwheat honey for B when he was coughing. Seems to work. DH tried it and said it did help him but it didn't last as long as otc meds. But if you need it just to get to sleep it might work.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

crl
06-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks. I'll give honey a try. I'm really tired of the constant coughing during the day. It's a pain, especially when I am eating. Cough drops aren't helping much.

Catherine

bubbaray
06-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Are you sure you don't have asthma? That is how my asthma presents, particularly AFTER I have "recovered" from a cold. I recently changed my asthma med to a stronger one and my annoying cough (I was using ricola cough drops) went away within 24 hrs.

Just a thought.

crl
06-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Are you sure you don't have asthma? That is how my asthma presents, particularly AFTER I have "recovered" from a cold. I recently changed my asthma med to a stronger one and my annoying cough (I was using ricola cough drops) went away within 24 hrs.

Just a thought.

You know I have had this conversation with various doctors along the way. They ask, have you ever been diagnosed with asthma? I say no. They piddle around, give me some meds and tell me to come back if things don't resolve. They always do resolve and I'll go a couple of years before it happens again. I do have severe upper respiratory allergies and have had bronchitis and pneumonia more times that I really care to try to remember--but almost all of this were before I turned 18. Would it be possible to have asthma with such infrequent symptoms?

Catherine

crl
06-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Well, I ended up going to the doctor today and have two inhalers and sudafed. Sigh. She dx reactive airways and ruled out asthma because I only have issues when I am also sick.

Thanks!
Catherine