PDA

View Full Version : Need Snack Ideas for Flight

indigo99
06-21-2011, 11:18 AM
We will be traveling for about 20 hours total, and I need snack ideas for DS. He loves Cheerios so I know to take those, but I need other ideas on foods that travel well. It seems like most of his usual snacks won't work because they squish, or need cut up (grapes) or need to be cold (yogurt). Thanks!

mikala
06-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Here are a few of the things we've used while traveling--

Freeze dried fruit--available at TJs, Costco, sometimes Target
Raisins, craisins, other dried fruit--watch for choking but a lot of kids this age can handle them
Pouch purees
Yogurt tubes, frozen
Peanut butter crackers--TJs makes some mini ones that are the perfect size for little hands
Pretzels
Bananas
Mandarin oranges in a cup, or regular oranges
Cereal bars
String cheese
Milk in aesptic containers
Applesauce in a cup
Cheddar bunnies or goldfish
Graham crackers, or graham bunnies
Flavored cheerios or other cereals to mix things up a little--multi-grain, etc.

Novel packaging goes a long way with kids this age while traveling so it might be time to break out the animal crackers in a box or other foods that can kinda be a toy.

You could also snag a plastic knife after security at a food place to cut up things like grapes.

The individual items aren't always the most nutritious but things tend to even out once we get to our destination and start eating normally again. You can also buy refrigerated stuff during your layover.

Katigre
06-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Freeze dried fruit for sure.

LMPC
06-21-2011, 03:00 PM
If he loves grapes, I would just cut them up before you go and toss them into a container you don't mind losing. I have found that the pouch foods (e.g., Ellie's kitchen) can be a hit and travel well. Cheese doesn't need to be refrigerated too much.

GL with the trip!

bubbaray
06-21-2011, 03:01 PM
I bring empty ziploc bags and get ice from Starbucks once I'm past security. I have also forgotten to remove ice packs before security and they seem to let them through if you're travelling with kids.

ijopint
06-21-2011, 03:11 PM
yogurt raisins or craisins
fruit leather
teddy grahams
mini baby bel cheese
kid's size apple
tangerines or clementines
honey sticks

have a good trip!