PDA

View Full Version : Baby mum-mums

mackmama
06-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Not sure where to put this, as it's not really food...

What do you all think about baby mum-mums? Our pedi suggested using them today at our appt, so I just thought I'd check in with you all here. :)

GvilleGirl
06-21-2011, 08:02 PM
LOVE them. The are what I uses as a first finger food. My DS doesn't have any teeth yet, and these are great because they melt in his mouth.

mackmama
06-21-2011, 08:02 PM
At what age did you start using them?

newg
06-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Love them!!
I know you can get them at Target in the baby food aisle......and Whole Foods too.
If you're a SAms club member (or have a friend!) they sell a huge box there for about $3!!
I just started using them and I'm totally hooked now. They aren't messy like a traditional teething biscuit and if DD gets a bigger piece then I'd like, it melts so I don't have to worry about her choking.

waitingforgrace
06-21-2011, 08:07 PM
I also love them and we still use them with DD at 17 months. We first gave them to her around 6 months.

LMPC
06-21-2011, 08:12 PM
DD loved them. They are like rice cakes for babies. I bought ours from BRU, IIRC.

maydaymommy
06-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Threads on this previously - in Food section.

Some people are dubious about using something "organic" and "made in China."

brittone2
06-21-2011, 08:15 PM

That's kind of how I feel about them. I use them for times when I really need to keep DS2 entertained, like today while my older kids were at swim lessons and he was stuck in the stroller. They aren't a regular menu item for us.

I don't put a lot of faith in anything organic but imported from China (I won't organic frozen veggies imported from China, for example).

Staraglimmer
06-21-2011, 08:15 PM
We called them "car cookies" because they were the only way to keep DD happy in the car. I got them on Amazon S&S. They also have toddler mum mums, which DD also liked (they were flavored).

We used them forever and loved them!

GvilleGirl
06-21-2011, 08:19 PM
We started around 7 months.

mackmama
06-21-2011, 08:33 PM

I figured there had to be previous threads on this, but I couldn't find them. I don't think my search function is working because I've searched for threads that I know exist (using the title) and nothing comes up.

Beth24
06-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Mackmama,
Baby mum mums are the perfect first self feeding food. They melt in your baby's mouth, are shaped like mini surfboards so they are easy for a baby to hold and stuff in his or mouth. I gave them to my baby at 7 months and we still use them when we are out at restaurants or when I need something to feed him that isn't very messy! After trying a box I got at BRU I ordered a large number of boxes from Amazon S&S.

Have fun trying them...one description from a previous thread that has stuck with me is that they are "crack for babies."

crl
06-21-2011, 09:02 PM
I used them as entertainment/treats.

Catherine

mackmama
06-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Ok thanks everyone - I'll give them a try!

hellokitty
06-22-2011, 01:49 PM
I don't know what it is, but I haven't met a baby who didn't like them. DH and I call them, "baby crack," lol.

AnnieW625
06-22-2011, 02:46 PM
I think we started them at about 7 months. Both of my girls like them; however I do have to remind DD1 that they are DD2's snacks.

citymama
06-22-2011, 02:54 PM

:yeahthat: I didn't buy them for that reason!

marymoo86
06-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Would the Plum Organics Puffs be a better item? Can't seem to find where they are manufactured?

AnnieW625
06-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Would the Plum Organics Puffs be a better item? Can't seem to find where they are manufactured?

My DD2 who eats almost anything won't eat Plum Organics Puffs, and to me they smell nasty like baby poop. We got the purple container ones (sweet potatoes? IIRC). The Happy Baby brand ones that they also sell at Target are better if you want an organic soy free baby puff. We usually just do the Gerber or the Target brand though so I am probably not the best authority on that stuff though, and it doesn't bother me that Mum Mums are MIC (although I just about had a heart attack when I read the side of the Brothers Fruit Crisps box that said MIC; I paid $13 for MIC dried fruit:shake:)

ETA: I can't wait for their be more variety in the Happy Baby brands at Target. I emailed the company a few months back and they said they were going to get more variety at Target sometime this summer.

BabyBearsMom
06-22-2011, 03:16 PM
My DD2 who eats almost anything won't eat Plum Organics Puffs, and to me they smell nasty like baby poop. We got the purple container ones (sweet potatoes? IIRC). The Happy Baby brand ones that they also sell at Target are better if you want an organic soy free baby puff.

I totally agree on the Plum vs. Happy Baby front. The Plum are just plain yucky. The Happy Baby ones are good. I give DD Mum Mums and she loves them. I almost always have them in my purse, the diaper bag, the glove compartment of the car...everywhere. Because when DD gets hungry, she gets HUNGRY. I have no issues with them being MIC, but I am probably more low key than most on the MIC issue.

fortato
06-22-2011, 03:22 PM
LOOOOOVE Mumm-Mumms!

Like one big flat grain of puffed rice. It was the best thing to tide Matthew over until I had his meal ready.

We like the generic organic blueberry puffs from the supermarket too. The sweet potato ones are NASTY- I think- Matthew will eat anything I give him, so, who knows what he thinks.

We've discovered "Little Duck Organics" Freeze dried fruits. I won some in a contest, and they were a HUGE hit. Plus they're local to me, so that is nice.

kaharris83
06-22-2011, 03:33 PM
After the Japanese tsunami I wasn't comfortable buying Mum-Mums anymore, not sure if radiation would affect things in China but I figured better safe than sorry since I have no idea.

DS really loves Joe's O's from Trader Joes.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-22-2011, 03:33 PM
ds loved these. started them around 5-6 mos. he loved feeding himself and this was the only thing he could grab (they are big) and feed himself.

fortato
06-22-2011, 04:06 PM
After the Japanese tsunami I wasn't comfortable buying Mum-Mums anymore, not sure if radiation would affect things in China but I figured better safe than sorry since I have no idea.

Did you know that there's more radiation in a banana that that rice cracker you're worried about? I wouldn't worry.

artvandalay
06-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Personally I do not want to buy anything ingestible from China. Once I read that they are manufactured there that turned me off from them.