PDA

View Full Version : Slowing down a Playset slide

Rezolution
06-22-2011, 09:17 AM
We just installed a Playset in our yard for our children. The only problem we have with it is the slide is just way too fast! I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what you could do to make the slide slower. I'm not sure if there is some type of friction modifier that can be sprayed onto it or if it can be sanded with a certain grit paper to scuff it up. I have no idea how to make it slower LoL.

The Playset we have is the Lifetime Heavy-Duty Metal Playset with Clubhouse (Earthtone).

http://www.buylifetime.com/ImageCache/368200-lgOverlayLeftMiddleWatermarkLeftTop.jpg

lhafer
06-22-2011, 11:18 AM
If it's not too hot....skin! Have your child either put their bare legs down on the slide when they go down, or to put their feet down and that will slow them way down.

Rezolution
06-22-2011, 01:13 PM
I was thinking of using a friction modifier and painting a thin stripe down the middle of it (something like Skid-Safe). If it wasn't slowing them down enough, I would just make the stripe wider until it slowed them down enough.

I also considered sanding it but I think that would ruin the UV protectant seal. I'm not really sure what else to do at this point but I can't seem to find anyone else that has this problem LoL.

Mermanaid
06-22-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't know how to slow it down but we have a slide like that and it's also super fast. On really hot days we put the waterhose on it and the kids slide halfway across the yard!

KrisM
06-22-2011, 01:42 PM
I'd be hesitant to do something to permanently slow it down. My kids love going fast, but they're 7, 5, and nearly 3. The 7 yo would be bored with it being a slow slide.

Have them wear shoes and put their feet down to slow them up.

Rezolution
06-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure my 2 year old will understand that. He may just look at me funny :)

mikala
06-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Is it possible to change the angle at the bottom so it isn't quite as steep? Maybe put a bag of dirt under the bottom or some other soft but sturdy filler? That might slow it down a little.

Rezolution
06-22-2011, 02:38 PM
I actually have it up about 10 inches off the ground at the bottom (and built up with dirt/mulch) because the yard is sloped. It's about 88 inches out and 50 inches high, so it's .568 (ratio) and the spec for playground safety is less than .577 for 2 years and up. No matter how high I move it in the air, it really doesn't help. It seems like the slide is just way too slippery.

Even when I watch the product video for it, i think to myself, jeeeeeze these kids are coming down the slide so fast...

KrisM
06-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure my 2 year old will understand that. He may just look at me funny :)

Show him what you mean. My kids and the neighborhood kids all figured it out at 2 or younger. My youngest has been climbing and sliding since he was 11 months. There is a good chance if you teach him, he'll learn.

sunshine873
06-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Have you asked the manufacturer? I'd start there.

mominma
06-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Sorry, no suggestions on the slide, but we are thinking of getting that swingset - besides the fast slide have you been happy with it? How was the installation?

Rezolution
06-23-2011, 08:52 AM
It's a nice swingset. I like it a lot more than wood. I don't care for splinters or maintenance of staining. I have no idea how well it will hold up. If you get a nick or ding in it, you have to put touch up paint on it almost immediately or it will rust up in a few days.

It comes shipped in a giant pallet made of 2x4s and then it's surrounded by more of them. You will have to chop them all up with a saw and throw them out over the course of a few weeks or find someone with a burn-pit to get rid of the packing material. It took about 10 hours to assemble it. Some steps you need to people to assemble it. The hardest part is putting the roof on, I think it was 48 screws you have to put in while hanging out over the sides of it (or using a ladder). You have to put a lot of force straight down when you put the roof screws in or you'll strip them out. The rock wall needed to have the holes that it screws into on the pipes drilled out a little, they wouldn't accept the screws that were provided with it.

For our installation, the assembly was the easiest part. The hard part was leveling the yard, then digging out for the mulch. We did a 22'x20' area even though they recommend 30'x30'. If we lived on a level plot, I would have done 30'x30' but being on a hill, it was not possible. It's very important for the playset to be level so that the slide is at the right slope and the A-frame can accurately hold the force on it when people are swinging. I think we moved something like 20 tons of dirt to level it. We bordered in the area with pressure treated 4"x4" boards and then put 6 inches of mulch down everywhere underneath it.

All of the kids in the neighborhood seem to really like it, my kids are both still young so I'm not sure they even care that we have it LoL. The older kids (3 and up) have no problem with the slide. They can control the speed they come down it with their feet and hands. The younger kids (under 3) seem to fly down it and land on their butt or back. Good thing we have mulch down because they usually hit with a thud. The wheel and binoculars don't really get played with, in fact, I may remove them because the wheel obstructs the chalk board. The chalk board, swings, and slide get played with the most. The triangle swing under the clubhouse doesn't get played with either, but the normal swings and toddler swing get a lot of use.

I thought the set was expensive (you can get it pretty cheap from Costco, about $1300) but it cost more to level the yard and put a border and mulch down...and we didn't even use rubber mulch! Rubber mulch would have cost over $2000 just for the mulch!

mnosky1
06-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Ours is fast too and the kids either like it or they don't (my 3 and 8 year old) and put their feet down to slow them. I never considered doing anything to modify the slide. Bathtub adhesives would be a nonpermanent solution but maybe you'd get stuck on them. If the kids don't like the speed, I'd think they can slow themselves down. Ours is just on the grass so it's a hard landing too.

mominma
06-24-2011, 05:02 PM
It's a nice swingset. I like it a lot more than wood. I don't care for splinters or maintenance of staining. I have no idea how well it will hold up. If you get a nick or ding in it, you have to put touch up paint on it almost immediately or it will rust up in a few days.

It comes shipped in a giant pallet made of 2x4s and then it's surrounded by more of them. You will have to chop them all up with a saw and throw them out over the course of a few weeks or find someone with a burn-pit to get rid of the packing material. It took about 10 hours to assemble it. Some steps you need to people to assemble it. The hardest part is putting the roof on, I think it was 48 screws you have to put in while hanging out over the sides of it (or using a ladder). You have to put a lot of force straight down when you put the roof screws in or you'll strip them out. The rock wall needed to have the holes that it screws into on the pipes drilled out a little, they wouldn't accept the screws that were provided with it.

For our installation, the assembly was the easiest part. The hard part was leveling the yard, then digging out for the mulch. We did a 22'x20' area even though they recommend 30'x30'. If we lived on a level plot, I would have done 30'x30' but being on a hill, it was not possible. It's very important for the playset to be level so that the slide is at the right slope and the A-frame can accurately hold the force on it when people are swinging. I think we moved something like 20 tons of dirt to level it. We bordered in the area with pressure treated 4"x4" boards and then put 6 inches of mulch down everywhere underneath it.

All of the kids in the neighborhood seem to really like it, my kids are both still young so I'm not sure they even care that we have it LoL. The older kids (3 and up) have no problem with the slide. They can control the speed they come down it with their feet and hands. The younger kids (under 3) seem to fly down it and land on their butt or back. Good thing we have mulch down because they usually hit with a thud. The wheel and binoculars don't really get played with, in fact, I may remove them because the wheel obstructs the chalk board. The chalk board, swings, and slide get played with the most. The triangle swing under the clubhouse doesn't get played with either, but the normal swings and toddler swing get a lot of use.

I thought the set was expensive (you can get it pretty cheap from Costco, about $1300) but it cost more to level the yard and put a border and mulch down...and we didn't even use rubber mulch! Rubber mulch would have cost over $2000 just for the mulch!

Thanks for all the information! The no staining and splinters were the reason we were planning to get this one. Cosco has been out of stock for a bit, but I have found it for $1500 (free shipping and no tax) otherwise we might get this one for $500 less, plus an extra swing. 2 of my kids are older and might like the monkey bars better, than the fort.

http://www.bjs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10201&storeId=10201&partNumber=P_129105262&sc_cid=DF&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=129105262

Rezolution
06-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks for all the information! The no staining and splinters were the reason we were planning to get this one. Cosco has been out of stock for a bit, but I have found it for $1500 (free shipping and no tax) otherwise we might get this one for $500 less, plus an extra swing. 2 of my kids are older and might like the monkey bars better, than the fort.

http://www.bjs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10201&storeId=10201&partNumber=P_129105262&sc_cid=DF&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=129105262

Well, if you can save $500 and they'll have more fun with the monkey bars, go for it !!!

RunnerDuck
06-27-2011, 10:20 AM
where did you find the one with the slide for $1500?

I don't know how tomake a slide slower but I know how to speed it up... pledge!

RunnerDuck
06-27-2011, 01:09 PM
So i just saw it on the costco site - and ordered. It doesn't say out of stock... how did you learn it was out of stock? I got an order confirmation...

Rezolution
06-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Item # 558156 ($1399) was out of stock at Costco for almost a month. You must have good timing Runnerduck because even last week it was still out of stock at Costco and even the BuyLifetime (company's) website.

I've seen it as high as $2300 (at Sears with shipping) but $1399 is definitely the cheapest that I've seen it for at Costco.

RunnerDuck
06-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Yeah I have actually been trying to find it on costco's site for a while now because they used to have it and I decided I wanted metal instead of wood - and i looked today because of this thread and they had it. Let's see if I actually get it...

Rezolution
06-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Yeah I have actually been trying to find it on costco's site for a while now because they used to have it and I decided I wanted metal instead of wood - and i looked today because of this thread and they had it. Let's see if I actually get it...

I'm sure you will. They are very good about what's in stock and what isn't.

RunnerDuck
07-15-2011, 04:12 PM
delivered today - they graciously took the crate away with them. Will be assembling tonight/tomorrow - hope it's awesome!!!