PDA

View Full Version : When does it makes sense to join a club store?

ang79
06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
In the past I've had memberships at both Sam's and BJ's. Unfortunately, my town does not have a Costco (the two neighboring towns do, but I don't think I would get there enough to make the membership worth it). I used to buy diapers at BJ's (used the BJ's brand) but now I'm buying Luvs through Amazon Mom (and hopefully soon DD2 will be PTing). And I buy my contacts yearly through a club, as they are cheaper than my doctor's office (I haven't researched buying online though). I do like buying some things in bulk (TP, paper towels, cereal, etc.) and I like the fresh produce sections at our Sam's and BJ's (a bit cheaper than the grocery store and always good fruit). I like that BJ's accepts coupons and often has their own coupons. But, I think I do sometimes buy things there that I wouldn't otherwise buy because they give me a coupon :)

So who has a club membership and what do you buy there that is better priced than say Target (I can't stand Wal-Mart so I won't factor that in!)? I just opened another 60-day trial membership at BJ's because they had a good deal on a laptop and I was needing a new one. And the lady there told me they are having a member special right now, $40 for 14 mos. (vs. the normal $50 for 12 mos.). So I'm contemplating joining again but DH thinks its not necessary.

KrisM
06-22-2011, 03:29 PM
I save enough on gas at Sam's to make it worth it.

I just recently started shopping there for more things again. It used to be that I could pay less at a regular store with sales and coupons, but with prices going up, I'm finding Sam's cheaper again. I also really like that I can order online and pick it up the next day :).

This last time, I bought brown sugar, chocolate chips, and yeast. All were cheaper than I've seen them at a grocery in a long time. I'm working on my master price list again and there are other things cheaper at Sam's, I am sure.

AnnieW625
06-22-2011, 04:07 PM
For us the main reason I have it is to have an American Express card, which is free through Costco (Amex has wonderful customer service) and I also buy a lot of my gas at Costco, and save a bit compared to regular gas stations (gas mileage is the same). So for just having the Amex card I am saving $40 on the yearly fee $90 I'd be paying if I had the traditional green Amex card. (Costco membership is $50)

We go about once every 6 weeks.

Here is my list of things I regularly buy at Costco (although not at the same time):
batteries
wine (although in California you can buy alcohol without a membership at either store)
beer
Hanna Andersson
Carters
Kirkland Signature organic pjs
socks
Champion sports bras
chicken
ground beef
some fish (as long as it's wild caught and does not have dye in it; their salmon has dye in it)
formula (best prices on Similac Sensitive when I had to buy it)
Childrens Claritin
generic adult claritin
bagels
fish crackers
electronics (I always price check, but Costco usually has a great deal)
mixed nuts
canned pineapple
canned peaches
movie tickets (2 for $15; saves between $2 and $6 per ticket depending on show time)
tillamook brand cheese
Laughing cow cheese wedges
butter
baking supplies
organic peanut butter
all natural or organic jam
applesauce
organic soy milk
TP
paper towels
Spray N Wash
dishwasher detergent (when on sale)

SnuggleBuggles
06-22-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't really think it's worth it. I think that the deals aren't amazing on most basic goods when compared to Target. There are some things that probably are good deals (butter, for example) but I buy a membership now out of habit and because of an occasional legitimate need for something there, like if I am organizing an event and need cups and such.

Beth

mommylamb
06-22-2011, 04:12 PM
We're a costco family. We buy most of our bulk stuff there, and we buy almost all our meat there. I also have the costco cash back Amex and we have an executive membership , so I get an extra 2% cash back on my costco purchases. We upgraded to executive membership because it includes roadside assistance, so I'm planning on cancelling AAA. Our AAA membership was about $100 annually and we never used it. Now, I have a $100 annual costco membership (so $50 more than what I was paying) and it includes the roadside assistance, plus the cash back and other bennies.

WatchingThemGrow
06-22-2011, 04:14 PM
I think it makes sense if the store is on the path of where you would normally travel and you can stop there for routine stuff. We get gas, plus lots of basics. At Sam's, I find I don't get a ton of random purchases like I'm tempted to do when I visit Costco. DH and I both get gas at the club b/c it is in a great location for us.

brittone2
06-22-2011, 04:50 PM
My savings on contacts at costco basically cover my membership.

larig
06-22-2011, 04:59 PM
We're a costco family. We buy most of our bulk stuff there, and we buy almost all our meat there. I also have the costco cash back Amex and we have an executive membership , so I get an extra 2% cash back on my costco purchases. We upgraded to executive membership because it includes roadside assistance, so I'm planning on cancelling AAA. Our AAA membership was about $100 annually and we never used it. Now, I have a $100 annual costco membership (so $50 more than what I was paying) and it includes the roadside assistance, plus the cash back and other bennies.

I didn't know it included roadside assistance! That's awesome. I haven't needed but good to know I have it!!

KimMae
06-22-2011, 06:35 PM
This is a good question and I'd like to hear more from people. Especially examples of things that aren't good deals at the club stores.

We also get the AMEX card which nets us some % back on our Costco purchases. The rebate more than covers the executive membership fee. (Though you could say that we would otherwise use a different rebate card with a similar rebate while not shopping at Costco.)

I would really miss Costco. I don't like tracking prices and coupons. I feel like Costco prices are at least decent and that the quality of their products is very high.

I can't leave out that the whole family loves to come for the free samples and leave with the huge $2.00 pizza slices and $?(cheap) ice cream bar dipped in chocolate.

We buy:
cheese (the 2 lbs of slices and the 3? lb cheddar blocks are good value and great quality.)
toilet paper
paper towels
paper plates
milk, soymilk, orange juice, water in bottles - all good prices and key in our house
butter
shrimp, fish
corn chips -yum
batteries - way cheaper than WalMart
frozen organic veggie burritoes (lunch box staple! way cheaper than one at a time at the grocery)
baby wipes (for everyone!)
dishwasher tablets (so expensive at target!)
toothbrushes
Cetaphil Face Cleaner

very occasionally:
tomatoes, other veg, avocados
underwear for me
clothes for kids (Hanna)
really good prepared food like a chicken pot pie, the hummus (3 lbs!) or the decorated cakes - if I have to take food to some event
Men's Kirkland white T shirts
Men's gold toe dress socks

I'm also very happy with other purchases although I make a point of trying to stay to my list! In June:
beach umbrella - $20 and awesome
sunglasses - $60 - way cheaper than other stores for the quality

AshUVA
06-22-2011, 06:56 PM
AnnieW625,

How does it work to buy alcohol in California without a membership? How do you get into the store?

TIA!

jiggaman
06-22-2011, 06:56 PM

I thought the roadside assistance was only if you purchased your car insurance through them through ameriprise.

Executive Membership is our highest level of membership. Executive Members enjoy an annual 2% Reward on most Costco purchases, as well as additional values on member services, such as lower prices on check printing, payroll services and identity protection; an account bonus for money market and online investing accounts; free roadside assistance for vehicles covered through the auto insurance program; and extra travel benefits.

hollybloom24
06-22-2011, 06:59 PM
I think it is worth it if you can save the price of the $45 membership in purchases.

For example, the milk boxes at my local store are $10.99 for 12. At BJs I buy 18 for $13.99. Juice boxes at local store are 8 for $3.69 and at BJs I buy 18 for $8.99. I buy a box of 10 yogurts for $7.99 - in my local store they are $.99 each. Not huge savings but it helps - I probably break even over the course of the year. For me it is sometimes easier to by some things in bulk.

BJs also takes coupons which helps.

njk07
06-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Keep the comments coming. I am also contemplating on becoming a member and just got the 2-month free membership from BJ's. Thanks.

NJ_Mom2011
06-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm always debating about my membership about Costco, but it has great prices for its store-brand infant formula and sensitive-skin baby wipes. Huggies are a good price, and can be about 14 cents/diaper if there's a coupon. Only Marshalls matches Costco on price for Carters clothes, and Costco tends to have better selection on those items. I also like Costco during the holiday season, as it has a nice selection of gift food baskets.
If you are into organic meat, Costco has limited selection, but what they offer is at good prices. So, I like its club-pack organic chicken breast and ground beef. Some one else mentioned Costco fruit, and what they say is true: it is better than what you can get at the local market. So Costco is good, I don't know if it is worth the $50 membership

hollybloom24
06-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Mistake in above post- I think my membership was $49.95, not $45. Oopss!

When I recently joined BJs I got a 15 month membership for the price of 12 months, so see if you can get that if you do decide to join. That makes the cost about $3.27 a month! (As opposed to $4.08 a month which is also pretty good!)

BJs also accepts expired manufacturers coupons which is awesome!

BabbyO
06-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Our only options are Sam's & Costco (no BJ's around here) and quite frankly Costco is too far away to make it worth having a membership...HOWEVER, our Sam's doesn't carry DS' rice milk or smaller sized diapers (we're expecting #2) so there are certain things we get at costco.

What we've done is we have a Sam's membership. My cousin has a Costco membership. When she wants something from Sam's I pick it up for her (or she comes with me). When I want something from costco, she gets it for me. It works pretty well and we only pay for one membership.

I try to stick to only things I would be getting anyway. Some things I'm willing to pay the same or a tad more for the convenience of not having to go regularly. For example...we always get TP & kleenex from Sam's. I don't even know if it's cheaper...I just like not having to think about it more than 2-4x a year!

The regular things on our Sam's list (we go every 6-8 weeks):
Diapers - Members Mark Brand
Wipes - Members Mark Brand
Raw almonds
Craisins
kleenex (only a few times a year)
TP (Members Mark brand; only a few times a year)
Salmon Fillets
Always pads (when I'm not PG)
Gillette razors (DH & me)
Vitamins (when needed)
Ibuprofen (when needed)

I figure what I save on the diapers and wipes alone pays for the membership. Actually the almonds and craisins are an AWESOME deal too. Now if only they carried rice milk...

ashleybama24
06-23-2011, 06:18 PM
We love to buy wine at Costco. They always have 90pt and up wines that are better priced than our local liquor stores or Specs. My husband also likes that they have variety packs of micro brew beers and they change seasonally.

I also find that Fage Greek Yogurt, BIG blocks of cheese, organic chicken, organic beef, frozen fish, batteries, and razors are cheaper there than anywhere else especially when they have their coupons. As a family of 3..almost 4...we don't buy much produce there yet BUT with 2 boys I'm sure that day won't be far off. If we are having people over it does make sense to buy in bulk and we have certain snacks or canned items we use a lot and make sense to buy in larger quantities.

We also do the executive membership (2% back on all purchases). If our refund is NOT at least $50, Costco will refund you the difference and renew you for another year at no charge.

pastrygirl
06-23-2011, 06:25 PM
I've been a member of BJ's for a few years, and LOVE their toilet paper! That's what keeps me coming back, LOL. A new one just opened up at the end of my street, so now I go there for gas. It's 15 cents cheaper per gallon than the place across the street.

I find it less useful now that I don't use many commercial products -- detergent, soap, shampoo, etc. I've replaced all of those types of things with more natural brands (or homemade). So mostly I use my membership for paper goods, cheese, seasonal stuff, batteries, etc. The new store has a deli, which I've never seen at a BJ's. That will come in handy, when the line isn't a million miles long.

KrisM
06-23-2011, 06:25 PM
I don't really think it's worth it. I think that the deals aren't amazing on most basic goods when compared to Target. There are some things that probably are good deals (butter, for example) but I buy a membership now out of habit and because of an occasional legitimate need for something there, like if I am organizing an event and need cups and such.

Beth

We save enough in gas alone. It's tyically 15-20 cents cheaper than the other cheap places at Sam's Club. It's on my way to enough places, that I can fill up there most of the time and I'll drive DH's car for errands that way on weekends and fill his up, too. Figure 22 gallons a week for 45 weeks @$.10/gallon (low) and that's $99 saved in the year. I think it's actually more savings than that.

emschwar
06-23-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm fairly certain we save enough on milk alone to pay for our membership at Costco. Milk at the grocery store is $4.39/gallon. At Costco it's $2.69 (I think - I could be off on the exact amt). We go through 2.5 gallons of milk a week. Add in what we save on gas, frozen waffles, batteries and zyrtec, and I know the membership pays for itself, not even counting the other discounts we get there.

ang79
06-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all of the replies! I did the memberships before because the savings I had on my yearly supply of contacts alone made up for the membership fee, but now DH thinks I should look around at online places for ordering contacts. I do get gas as it is usually a few cents cheaper, but the BJ's is on the opposite side of town that I usually am on (Sam's is on the side I usually go to but still out of the way from my frequent trips to Borders, Target, and Kohls :) and I prefer the variety and the use of coupons at BJ's). I did used to buy all my paper stuff there (TP, Paper Towels, tissues, etc.) as it was cheaper than my grocery store, but now I buy those things at Target (I get the Target brand) so I don't know how the prices compare anymore. I do like the produce section, especially in the winter when grocery store produce is more expensive. But, I also like convenience and my Target just opened a produce section which price wise seems comparable to what I pay at my grocery store. I know this is not really worth agonizing over, but I was curious as to what others' views on it were and what you find to be cheaper there :)