PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen aid ice cream maker attachment--tips, please!

crl
06-22-2011, 09:27 PM
So along with a sleeping bag, my parents bought the kitchen aid mixer ice cream maker for ds' birthday. He's been asking to make ice cream so I suggested it.

I have gotten it out of the packaging and put it in the freezer. I'd like to make ice cream tomorrow night. It will have been in there over 24 hours by the time we use it.

I found an eggless recipe that got good reviews. I am a little nervous to use raw egg since I imagine we will let out 15 month old have a bit)

Any tips? Or recipe suggestions?

Thanks!
Catherine

ETA. Here is the link for the recipe. http://www.food.com/recipe/ice-cream-no-eggs-93725. I have blackberries so I thought I'd let him choose vanilla or blackberry.

crl
06-24-2011, 05:53 AM
Just in case anyone is wondering we made the recipe in vanilla and it is yummy.

Catherine

BeachBum
06-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Well you'll probably figure this out on your own. But I find it helps to "super chill" the ice cream base mixture. After combining the ingredients, I pop it in the freezer for a while. I find that starting with cold mix helps it to get a better more firm consistency.

Another fun thing to do with kids is to make ice cream sandwiches. Put the ice cream between some homemade cookies and freeze.

crl
06-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the tip! And for the idea. Hagen Daz used to make an ice cream sandwich with vanilla ice cream and pepperidge farm shortbread. It was discontinued a looonnng time ago. I'm thinking we need to recreate it!

Catherine