PDA

View Full Version : pregnancy swelling

petesgirl
06-23-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm just starting week 35 (getting close folks!) and the swelling in my hands and feet and ankles is getting worse. It only started a few weeks ago, so I've been lucky but I know that with hotter summer temps right around the corner, it will only get worse still! What can I do to help minimize the swelling, especially in my ankles and feet?

Suggestions I have had from friends are to cut out sodium, cut out sugar, increase protein, and wear compression socks.

lizzywednesday
06-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Drink lots of water. LOTS of water. Yes, it will make you pee more frequently, but it helps.

When you get a chance, put your feet up, even at the office. (Assuming you are working...)

Sleep with your feet elevated; I managed this with an old pillow folded in half & propped under my feet, but do whatever you can for yourself. (One of my BFFs had really bad swollen feet & ankles during her 1st pregnancy and this was one of the only things that helped her ... I did it early & only got swollen ankles that scared my OB/midwife once.)

If this doesn't work, get your OB to write you a prescription for compression hose. They're nasty but they work.

HIU8
06-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Everything that she said. I had really bad swelling with DD. I was vigilant about drinking enough water and sat with my feet up all the time and slept with them elevated. It helped a lot.

BabbyO
06-23-2011, 03:15 PM
I didn't get much swelling with DS until I was about as far along as you are. I did drink lots of water, too. The thing that I noticed was if I walked (I try to walk daily at lunch) my swelling was always less than when I didn't walk. I did manage a pretty brisk pace and I think that is why the walking helped...it forced my blood to circulate away from my feet. I'm pretty sure that I walked a marathon each of my last 4-5 weeks to keep the swelling down. I walked about 5 mi while in labor with DS, too, and had the easiest labor ever.

ashleybama24
06-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Lots and lots of water! If you start to notice that you are swelling in your face or in other places, I would give your doctor a call as this can be a sign of other things. I had REALLY bad swelling with #1, almost had to have my wedding ring cut off, and they actually put me on scheduled bed rest 2 days a week from work because the heat, stress, and sitting most of the day was making it worse.

Hope it gets better soon!

bisous
06-23-2011, 06:49 PM
I have this problem! I bought a couple of pair of maternity compression stockings and I wear them if I'm going to be on my feet for a few hours. It makes a huge difference.

Water is also good. I'm still toying with suggestions about what to eat/what not to eat!

Also, I went swimming yesterday and I felt great at the end of the day. Swelling was GONE! If you can hit a pool, I think you'll find it feels great!

wimama
06-23-2011, 08:07 PM
I had a lot of swelling last time and it is already starting and I am only 29 weeks now. I work on my feet a good portion of the day, so I went ahead on ordered some compression stockings for myself. I don't like them, but I hate kankles a lot worse. I try to prop my feet up at my desk now, when I am doing paperwork.

marymoo86
06-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Mine was mostly due to sodium intake - moderated greatly once I cut that and increased water.

For a while I looked like I had hobbit feet. Wasn't going to have that!

luckytwenty
06-24-2011, 12:02 PM
I also saw a big improvement from avoiding high sodium foods.

The end is near!!!

amldaley
06-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Drink lots of water. LOTS of water. Yes, it will make you pee more frequently, but it helps.

When you get a chance, put your feet up, even at the office. (Assuming you are working...)

Sleep with your feet elevated; I managed this with an old pillow folded in half & propped under my feet, but do whatever you can for yourself. (One of my BFFs had really bad swollen feet & ankles during her 1st pregnancy and this was one of the only things that helped her ... I did it early & only got swollen ankles that scared my OB/midwife once.)

If this doesn't work, get your OB to write you a prescription for compression hose. They're nasty but they work.

:yeahthat: If you can get your feet above your heart, that is better. And stay cool - swelling is exacerbated with heat and humidity.