PDA

View Full Version : Should my rescue inhaler be working better than this?

crl
06-24-2011, 03:38 AM
I went to the doctor over my nasty cough and came away either two inhalers--reactive airways is the dx One is twice a day (flovent) and the other is as needed every four to six hours.

Well, after about 36 hours my coughing has decreased some, but is still annoying. I just woke up with a coughing fit. The rescue inhaler did not stop it. I'm not sure the rescue inhaler really helps at all.

I guess I should email the doctor? Shouldn't the rescue inhaler pretty much stop a coughing fit immediately?

Thanks,
Catherine

citymama
06-24-2011, 03:46 AM
What do you have - ProAir or one of those? I find them ineffective too. The Flovent will help if used twice a day and you should ask for a nasal spray (fluticasone) as well. Are you asthmatic?

Feel better and get some rest!

crl
06-24-2011, 04:06 AM
Yep, ProAir. She said I don't meet the criteria for asthma as I only have issues when I am sick. I will email her in the morning and see if she can change my meds.

Thanks,
Catherine

egoldber
06-24-2011, 07:00 PM
The steroid (Flovent) needs 2-4 days to really start working. I have found rescue meds like ProAir (which is just albuterol, right?) to not be very effective for my older DD.

Do you think you may also have a sinus infection?

bubbaray
06-24-2011, 07:11 PM
:yeahthat: to what Beth said.

With all due respect to your dr, google viral-induced asthma. I'd get a second opinion.

crl
06-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Today is going better and she called in cough medicine with codeine so hopefully I will get more sleep tonight. Yes, I think the ProAir is albuteral.

I am willing to entertain the notion that she is wrong about the asthma. I guess it just seems strange to me to have gotten to 41 without it being diagnosed and that I so seldom have symptoms. I think of asthma as something that is pretty much always there.

Does anyone know, would the treatment be any different anyway? I can't imagine I would go on maintenance meds for something that occurs only once every year or two? So wouldn't I just get the same prescription(s) when I have an episode as she gave me this time regardless of the exact diagnosis?

Thanks again!
Catherine

ETA. Oh, I don't think I have a sinus infection. No headache and my face isn't tender. I have had sinus infections before and this doesn't feel like one. Feels like a very mild cold with a very bad cough.

egoldber
06-24-2011, 07:33 PM
I think what she gave you is fine. The question *I* would have is if the combo of steroids and rescue meds is not working by about 4 days then....

a) you may need a higher dose steroid
b) you may need a higher dose rescue med
c) both a and b
d) you may have secondary infection and need abx

Asthma can come on at any time. My mother now has a full time asthma (well really COPD) diagnosis, but it is not uncommon to get a RAD diagnosis later in life.

Also, asthma may only be present under certain conditions: viral induced asthma, allergy induced asthma, etc.

bubbaray
06-24-2011, 07:33 PM
I am willing to entertain the notion that she is wrong about the asthma. I guess it just seems strange to me to have gotten to 41 without it being diagnosed and that I so seldom have symptoms. I think of asthma as something that is pretty much always there.

Does anyone know, would the treatment be any different anyway? I can't imagine I would go on maintenance meds for something that occurs only once every year or two? So wouldn't I just get the same prescription(s) when I have an episode as she gave me this time regardless of the exact diagnosis?

I was diagnosed with asthma at 42. My respirologist/pulminologist thinks I had it as a child, but was misdiagnosed (as croup).

IME (both DD#1 and I have asthma), you can't just treat asthma when you have an attack (even if it is viral-induced). It takes a while for the controller meds to work. Rescue meds don't stop our coughing, it just takes the panicky "I can't breathe" feeling away. The controller meds are what deal with the cough.

FWIW, what is currently working for both of us is Symbicort.

crl
06-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks. Hmm I do not have any feeling that I can't breathe. I had that when I have been diagnosed with pneumonia in the past, but not this time.

I would be reluctant to go on all the time meds for something that happens so infrequently. . . .

I will definitely follow up if I am not better by Monday.

Thank you!
Catherine