PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone still carry a separate diaper bag?

kaitlyns.mom
06-24-2011, 10:43 PM
I remember back when I was a babysitter moms always had a purse and a diaper bag. It seems like these days everyone (including myself) doesn't want to bother with more than one bag. Do you use (or know someone who does) more than one bag every day and what kinds/sizes are they? Do they both go everywhere with you or do you keep one in the car?

philyre
06-25-2011, 02:21 AM
I only ever carry a purse when I am parting ways with my toddler, like if he's going to play at a friend's house while I run errands. I just empty the keys, wallet and phone from the compartment in the diaper bag where they live into a teensy tiny purse and hand the diaper bag off with the kid.

Up until this week, when I was working I would just transfer said items to the zippy side pocket in my work bag (large vintage tote bag holding laptop, student papers) instead. It was only a 2 or sometimes 3 days a week that I commuted in to work so the hassle of transferring that small number of items back and forth was less than the hassle of having to carry a separate purse the rest of the week. There were a few days where I forgot keys (bus commuter) or wallet or phone, though, so I could see how a separate purse would make sense if you part ways from your kid every day and/or if you had a more major ensemble of items that you needed to transfer back and forth to your work bag (medications, etc).

I wouldn't really want to leave a bag in the car because even if the bag contains only diapers it seems like an invitation for a break in if it's visible... and our car doesn't have many options for stashing a bag out of sight (especially as our trunk leaks).

MoJo
06-25-2011, 06:46 AM
Up until a few months ago, I didn't. But then I needed a bag I could drop at the sitters on days I worked, and it needed to be big enough to have a change of clothes for both girls and any meds/lotions/ointments/etc they might need, plus Ha's food, plus the obvious diapers and wipes.

Now I keep the same bag packed for DH, or for days we spend most of the day away from home. If it's just errands, I keep diapers and wipes in my purse and call it good. But otherwise, I now use a bag. Mine is a sturdy tote, one big pocket for clothes etc, with a small zippered pocket to keep the mylicon/ibuprofen/sunscreen etc.

mackmama
06-26-2011, 12:41 PM
I carry the JuJuBe BeMajor purse/wallet plus a diaper bag. I usually have the BeMajor in my diaper bag, and then I can just take it out and carry it separately when I am leaving the diaper bag in the car.

RunnerDuck
06-26-2011, 01:01 PM
I never carry a purse. If I don't need a diaper bag I don't have any bag. Wallet and keys go in my pockets. if for some reason I don't have pockets it means I am dressed up and with DH in which case he can handle driving and paying.

ahrimie
06-26-2011, 10:57 PM
I don't but I have friends who carry a purse and diaper bag. I only need a wallet, cell, keys, and lip balm so I just put that in my diaper bag or rather, stuff diapers in my purse :P

Momto1
06-27-2011, 11:13 AM
I only ever carry one bag at a time. DD is potty trained.
If we're going out for a full day I'll still pack a "diaper" bag with snacks, changes of clothes, etc. If we're just out to eat or a quick trip I'll carry my purse (JuJuBe Behave, BeLight, or a Tokidoki) with a few things for DD.

hellokitty
06-27-2011, 11:33 AM
When they are little a bigger diaper bag is my main staple and I will carry a small purse/wallet/clutch for my stuff in it. When they are older, I downgrade. I was going to get a juju be quick for disposable changing pad, diapers and wipes, but instead found that a laminated lunch sack (the kind that is the shape of a paper lunch sack) does the job quite nicely for $2 (on clearance at ON right now, I got a very cute apple print). I'm finding that other than a sippy/snack and the diaper changing stuff, I'm not having to carry other stuff anymore. So, now I just stick the lunch sack diaper kit on my stroller and will carry snack/sippy in my purse. If we are going to be out all day, I usually revert back to a diaper bag again.

BayGirl2
06-28-2011, 12:20 PM
I switch my personal stuff (keys, wallet, phone, lipstick, retainer case) back and forth between the diaper bag, purse, briefcase, and camera bag depending on where I am going and with whom. DH has his own diaper bag and sometimes we take that, but I prefer to take mine since I need to carry some kind of bag anyway and mine is cuter. But if we are going somewhere where I'd want to do a lot of photography (which I'm just getting more into) we'd bring his diaper bag and my camera bag w/ my stuff. The purse is for when I'm out w/o DS or just picking him up from daycare. Briefcase, obviously, for work meetings and business travel (I WOH most days).

It feels like a lot of switching back and forth, but I wouldn't want to carry 2 bags. And it doesn't work to put my stuff in a small bag that fits in the others, since my stuff seems to fit into separate pockets. Once DD arrives and I'm on leave I expect I'll carry the diaper bag 90% of the time.