PDA

View Full Version : School Snack Birthday Suggestions

Kindra178
06-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Age range 5-7. No nuts. All other allergans ok. School suggested muffins or donut holes. I just hate the idea of processed full of preservative crap, but I guess I limited to that?

daisymommy
06-25-2011, 04:31 PM
How about homemade cupcakes or cookies? That's not too unhealthy :)

Melanie
06-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Fruit salad in a fun and interesting way...we have done baby cradles, whales, houses, etc. out of a watermelon and then served it inside. Show the kids AND school that fruit is a great birthday treat. If you absolutely cannot stomach it totally sugarless you could send along whipped cream.

SnuggleBuggles
06-25-2011, 04:36 PM
My friend made cute fruit kabobs last year and the kids liked them. One year I did parfaits with strawberries and strawberry or vanilla yogurt- they were kind of a dud.

Agree with pp, homemade treats, if allowed, are at least somewhat better than their store bought kin. I make cupcakes and the kids love them. They are served a healthy snack every day so a b-day treat once/month or so just doesn't bother me.

Beth

Kindra178
06-25-2011, 08:11 PM
I think there is a no homemade rule at this camp. It would be so easy for me to make something. I am one of the ones with a peanut allergic child, so my house is peanut free! I just hate the idea of doing Entemmans (sp?). Fruit kebobs are a great idea.

crl
06-25-2011, 08:41 PM
I think the rice krispy treats are nut safe? You probably know better than I do! But I was told that by a mother with a sone with a nut allergy.

Are any brands of Popsicles safe?

Catherine

mominma
07-03-2011, 11:17 PM
I was also goinig to suggest popsicles.

o_mom
07-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Popsicles are a great idea! TJs has several all-fruit ones, but there are other brands I have seen at the regular grocery, too.

bubbaray
07-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Hmmm, I'm curious if other moms dealing with FAs would allow their children popsicles -- specifically Popsicle brand items. Here, they have "may contain peanuts" warnings on all of their products. I know labelling in the US isn't required for may contain items, so parents often have to call manufacturers directly.

I would not serve anything from TJs if you are dealing with FAs. My kids can't eat anything from TJs, every label I've ever read there has may contain warnings on it.

Just so you know, most parents dealing with FAs don't let their children eat food that other people have made. I would *maybe* be OK with purchased food (as long as it was clearly labelled nut free), but not home made food. I make my kids own cupcakes and take them to parties (so they can have them instead of cake). DD#2 has a box of rice krispie squares at daycare that they keep to give her instead of treats that have a may contain warning on them or are homemade (they are nut free, but sometimes it happens for birthdays).

7pages
07-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Popsicles? Dilly bars or Star Kisses from DQ? Prepackaged Rice Krispie Treats if you can't do homemade?

logan's mom
07-08-2011, 12:54 PM
What about a cookie cake? I am not sure if they are considered nut allergy safe or not. I have a friend who teaches and she requests these. Her school won't allow homemade items and she says the cookie cake is easy to serve and doesn't give the kids such a sugar rush.