PDA

View Full Version : Which baby monitor features

sarahsentry
06-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi there,
For those who have been using their baby monitors for a while perhaps you can provide advice on which features are important to have.

Specifically I'm wondering about a) the motion pad (to tell if they're breathing). Do you have trouble with false positives? Was it hard to setup? Do you find this a feature that's really helpful or does it cause more worry? Seems this is only possible with the lower audio-quality monitors so to get this feature we'd likely have more interference.
b) video - for those who have video do you like this feature or find it too much. Also anyone out there with the type that works with iphone or ipad devises (next step ip or drop cam echo) and if so how do you like the extra features and improved video quality?
c) multiple parental units - seems like a good idea so you don't have to move it with you everywhere but not all come with them so for those without a second one how aggravating do you find it?

Based on consumer reports they're saying the best audio one is the Philips Avent DECT SCD510 and Video is the dropcam echo. Anyone with these and if so do you like them?

Thanks!

AngB
06-25-2011, 10:12 PM
I for one love the Angelcare deluxe monitor. The movement pad was easy to set up (ds is 2 months and still in the pack n play bassinet, it works great in that too.) Basically you need a folded up box or thin piece of wood to put under the motion pad, that's the trickiest part. There are 5 sensitivity levels so false alarms can be adjusted, but we haven't had one yet. I love the temperature feature too and the sound quality is great, I've found just having one receiver is fine, you can clip it to your waistband. Anyway, it's one of my favorite baby products, I 'd sleep much worse without it, we got a good deal on ours from ebay.

We got a video monitor too, but it's still in the box since ds is still in our room.

sunshine873
06-25-2011, 10:15 PM
LOVE my video monitor & recommend one to anyone & everyone! We have the Summer Infant Handheld. It's been so great to be able to check on DD without actually having to go into her room & turn on a light, etc. Now that she's over 2 and in a toddler bed - I wish we had one that had pan/zoom technology. But other than that...I'd say go for it!

TxCat
06-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Love having a video monitor. Before the baby I thought it would be a waste, but then I had a friend who talked me into it and I'm so happy she did. We have the Summer Infant Slim & Secure and I've been very happy with it - no issues so far (8 months). No static, good picture, durable. Just one parent monitor, and I think that has been fine. It has pretty good reach too - we have a 3000 sq. foot house and coverage even in the back yard has been fine. We had the Summer Infant Best View for about a month, but it stopped working, and Summer was very good about taking it back. The pro of the Best View is that you have pan and zoom, but the monitor is larger than the Slim & Secure.

Personally, I don't see the need for multiple parental units, but that's just me. If the unit is pretty small, it fits into a pocket easily, or you can carry it in your hand. I guess this applies to the bigger units that are TV-like? I can see that those might be nice to have, but it seems like overkill. I guess if you can afford it, sure, why not. But otherwise, it's an area that I think you can safely save money on.

jbbhb
06-26-2011, 02:03 PM
I had the angelcare monitor and returned it. When I set up the monitor and I tested it didnt work in my house. It would say he was breathing when there was absolutely nothing in the crib, kind of defeats the purpose, right? I think it was the ceiling fan that it was detecting. I tried to lower the sensitivity etc and it still would pick it up. My friend has one that works wonderfully, so I think it's just dependant on your house and the environment of the room it will be used in. Just make sure you test it within the time period you have to return it.

I now have the summer infant best view and I love having the video aspect. My baby wakes up if I even crack the door. The video allows me to check on him without going in there. We just have the one handheld parent unit and I don't see a need for more than that, it's small so we just carry it around.