PDA

View Full Version : In search of a double stroller

Zoey187
06-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Hey guys, I am in need of some help!

I am in search of a double stroller. I have done searches here on this board and just haven't seen the answer I am looking for. So I figured I would ask for myself.

First off we are expecting our second child at the end of the year. DS will be 3 and is still a big time stroller kid. I don't have much of in the way of needs....YET! But I want to get the ball rolling on my search and I don't know where to start. Here is what I have so far in the way of needs or information about myself.

1. I need to be able to fit my Chicco Keyfit 30 carrier on the stroller.
2. I am short, not even 5"!
3. DS is 2.5 now (will be 3 when the baby is born) and already over 30lbs
4. Needs to fit in the back of my Mazda 5
5. Stroller is used outside in streets (no sidewalks here), malls (indoors and out), zoos and anywhere else I go...so basically everywhere!

That is it so far. Once I can get some ideas of where to start looking, my needs and wants might change. We live in a small city and the closest BRU is an hour away. I went there today trying out strollers and they didn't have that big of a selection for me to even try. All that just made me more confused!

So where do I start?

hapimommy
06-27-2011, 03:16 AM
Do you need the stroller to fit in the Mazda 5 with all the 6 seats being used, or just the first two rows so you have more trunk space?

Do you have a budget that you have to consider?

Does your toddler need to sit a certain way, or is he happy with any seat that he might have on a stroller? Like does he like recline, or would he be okay with a bench style seat?

Would consider an in-line, or would you want a side-by-side stroller?

legaleagle
06-27-2011, 09:15 AM
I have a mazda5 (2009 so pre-redesign) so I've looked at quite a few strollers, if you have all 6 seats up, I think I've read that you can manage to squeeze a BJCM in the back by popping off the wheels but I haven't tried it myself. Maybe also a double Mac. I just got a P&T verve which I can fit if one of the 3rd row seats is down pretty easily (don't have to remove the wheels). I haven't gotten the second seat yet, I'll post a full review when it gets here this week. My almost 3 year old is both very tall and ~34 lbs so I can tell you how well he fits in the back. The main seat is humongous, so no worries there.

If both 3rd row seats are down, you have more options but it has to be something that folds "square" rather than long. A bumbleride indie twin would fit very well, I will check on some other dimensions. A mountain buggy will not fit because they're so long folded.

My double valco latitude fits very very well with the 3rd row down - I'm only switching the P&T because I'm bored and wanted air tires. I can squeeze it in with one seat down but it's really tight. It's more of an inside stroller though the handle height is really short so that part would be great for you.

Zoey187
06-28-2011, 09:30 PM
To answer the set of questions that was asked of me.

I tried out a few strollers and the side-by-side seemed a little easier for me to push, but I havent decided either way yet.

My son gets to pick his seat since he is the child that can form some sort of opinion at this point. In a tandem stroller he will likely get the front seat. He doesn't ever recline his seat as he very rarely sleeps in the stroller. He was fine sitting up with the strollers that we tried out over the weekend.

Money is a bit of a concern. This is why I am doing my research now so that I can start looking at CL where my dad lives. My CL is way to small and hardly ever has anything good come up on it.

My main concern is finding a stroller that my car seat will fit in. The baby will be in the carrier for the first few months and then can sit in the stroller when it is old enough. I just need that second seat incase my DS gets tired and wants to ride. He actually likes riding so he would probably be in it a lot.

Last, I don't usually get the third row in my Mazda 5 up so I have some space back there for a bit bigger stroller. I just need to make sure it fits even with those seats up!

Did I miss anything else?

legaleagle
06-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Last, I don't usually get the third row in my Mazda 5 up so I have some space back there for a bit bigger stroller. I just need to make sure it fits even with those seats up!

If it absolutely must fit with the 3rd row up your options are very limited.

- double macs
- BJCMD (must remove wheels)
- A comment at the bottom of this article (http://www.lvrj.com/drive/mazda5-built-for-small-families-113575379.html) claims you can get the P&T E3 double in there as well
- this car-seat.org thread (http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=140694) says she can get some kind of P&T (sport?) back there by taking the wheels off.

Any of these will fit with tons of room to spare with the 3rd row seats folded down and without any wheel removing.

Zoey187
06-29-2011, 08:39 AM
I meant down....my third row in my car is down!

legaleagle
06-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Oh, ok, I thought you meant that it would usually be down but occasionally would be up!

If it can always be down, then I think the bumbleride indie twin would be great for you. I think they have a chicco adapter or are releasing one soon. Looks like the bob duallie will fit with the wheels off (not sure if that means all the wheels or just the back ones) but doesn't have the chicco adapter and isn't suitable from birth, also the handle isn't adjustable so it may be too high for you. Or any of the P&Ts would work well. MB duo will definitely NOT fit. Valco trimode double will fit great but doesn't seem to have a chicco adapter - they have lots of other adapters though and one of them may "unofficially" work. Britax b-ready will fit and has the adapter - no air tires though and if you fold with the second seat on it's just as heavy as the indie twin.

HTH!

Zoey187
08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I am starting to give up my stroller search since asking for help on this board. I have had several "great" double strollers pop on CL but when I call the company about the car seat adapter, it is a no go for the stroller. So far I have tried a 2010 Bob Revolution Duallie, Valco Latitude Double with a model number of TLA8862 (and was told from the CS person that there is an adapter for the Valco's but not that model), and one other but the brand slips my mind at the time of writing this!

What else can I do? Where else can I look? I can't switch car seat brands because I have all the stuff already (3 bases and car seat and single stroller if I only needed one!).

Thank God I have time before the baby comes....I am just starting to feel like my only option is going to be the Chicco Double stroller and it feels to big to me already!

crl
08-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Why not just make sure the stroller reclines flat and skip using the carseat with it. Prolonged time in the car seat is bad for the baby any way (restricts breathing). I never left dd in the car seat when I out her in the stroller, just transferred her.

Catherine

legaleagle
08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
The b-ready has an universal adapter http://www.amazon.com/Britax-B-Ready-Universal-Infant-Adapter/dp/B003OH0W90

They have the free second seat promotion coming up next month. It can also be used from birth (may need snuzzler, I don't remember the details).

poohbear
08-01-2011, 02:44 PM
A double mac won't take a chicco.
BJCMD will take a chicco - that would be a better bet than a double mac anyway, IMO, since I've heard it pushes better.

arivecchi
08-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Why not just make sure the stroller reclines flat and skip using the carseat with it. Prolonged time in the car seat is bad for the baby any way (restricts breathing). :yeahthat:

I would not buy a stroller based on whether it takes a car seat or not. The stroller will be used much longer than the car seat and is a much bigger investment. I used a snuzzler on the fully reclined seat and had my baby carrier in the basket at all times. Worked really well. :)

Zoey187
08-01-2011, 02:55 PM
B-ready doesn't look like a good match for me...with the second seat. I am afraid that I am going to have trouble pushing the stroller with the second seat down below due to my height (4'11")

I was looking at the BJCMD and they do have an adapter for the Chicco, just don't know if it would work on a double vs the single (didn't call on that one yet) but I don't see many of those pop up on CL. I guess I could always try a wanted ad. Anyone have any luck posting a wanted ad on CL?

Since we are on the topic of not using the carseat...which strollers are ok to use from birth?

Bob duallie? (what is a good price for a used double on CL? There was one posted on 7/30 and she wants $450 for a 2010 model in Navy)
Valco?
Others?

Thanks for the help guys...I just need to know what to keep my eyes out for and start saving my money if my stroller is going to be over a certain amount.

Zoey187
08-01-2011, 03:01 PM
:yeahthat:

I would not buy a stroller based on whether it takes a car seat or not. The stroller will be used much longer than the car seat and is a much bigger investment. I used a snuzzler on the fully reclined seat and had my baby carrier in the basket at all times. Worked really well. :)

I never thought about it that way....even though I should have due to already have one stroller that I have used since my DS was born 2.5 years ago (and still am using that stroller).

poohbear
08-01-2011, 03:03 PM
B-ready doesn't look like a good match for me...with the second seat. I am afraid that I am going to have trouble pushing the stroller with the second seat down below due to my height (4'11")

I was looking at the BJCMD and they do have an adapter for the Chicco, just don't know if it would work on a double vs the single (didn't call on that one yet) but I don't see many of those pop up on CL. I guess I could always try a wanted ad. Anyone have any luck posting a wanted ad on CL?

Since we are on the topic of not using the carseat...which strollers are ok to use from birth?

Bob duallie? (what is a good price for a used double on CL? There was one posted on 7/30 and she wants $450 for a 2010 model in Navy)
Valco?
Others?

Thanks for the help guys...I just need to know what to keep my eyes out for and start saving my money if my stroller is going to be over a certain amount.

They make a bjcm double adapter (adapter goes on one seat - other seat is for a toddler)...
It also reclines flat and you can buy a 2010 from albee for $299 right now. The adapter is about $80. You could post a want ad - they're hit or miss.

A BOB duallie is not suitable from birth (can use at about 6=8 weeks with snuzzler), and I probably wouldn't get it as my one and only - it's big and it's wide. I would expect to pay about $400 for a good condition used duallie

MB Duo has full recline, but again, it's big if you're mainly using for malls and takes up a substantial amount of trunk space

Indie Twin is a good option - it may take a chicco in doubles mode. Has air tires but is a little lighter than the duallie and mb duo.

I love the idea of never using a carseat in a stroller, but for my suburban lifestyle, it's unfortunately not always practical. If I am driving to the store to run in in the dead of winter and my babe is sleeping, it's just way better and easier for everyone to be able to snap the seat out and into a stroller...

arivecchi
08-01-2011, 03:04 PM
From what you describe, I think you would be very happy with the BJCMD. It has full recline and is very light, so great for car use. It also has great resale value, so you will get a chunk of your money back when you sell it.

Albee has them on sale:

http://www.albeebaby.com/baby-jogger-city-mini-double-black-black.html

ashleybama24
08-01-2011, 03:49 PM
The BOB came out with a Chicco adaptor and the Indie Twin has one as well. Although a friend puts her Chicco on the bumper bar of the Twin and goes for walks with no problems. I'm only 5'2" and it is a great height. Plus it reclines flat for a newborn.

Zoey187
08-01-2011, 04:32 PM
More questions...I know....lets hope soon I won't have any more questions!

So for those that have a BJCMD and have used an adater bar, how is the room in the second seat that doesn't hold the car seat. The pictures make it look strange and I want to be sure that my DS is going to be comfortable when riding in this stroller when the car seat is attached. Oh and by the way, thanks for the link for Albee Baby. If I go with this stroller it looks like I might get it from there!

Also at what age/weight can the baby ride in the BJCMD without the carseat?

arivecchi
08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Also at what age/weight can the baby ride in the BJCMD without the carseat? From birth on the fully reclined seat. I would recommend a snuzzler.

poohbear
08-01-2011, 07:45 PM
The BOB came out with a Chicco adaptor and the Indie Twin has one as well. Although a friend puts her Chicco on the bumper bar of the Twin and goes for walks with no problems. I'm only 5'2" and it is a great height. Plus it reclines flat for a newborn.

Unfortunately BOB only came out with the Chicco adapter for the single only, the double adapter is only available in Graco form... :(

ashleybama24
08-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Well that's absurd! Has anyone tried to see if it would work on the Duallie?

Zoey187
08-02-2011, 04:27 PM
I got an email from the lady who was selling her Bob duallie and she said her friend had "unofficially" used an adater but would just rest the carseat on top of the bar since the Chicco doesn't have a slot to allow it to fit over the bars. I haven't heard of anyone trying the Chicco adater for a single Bob on a duallie. I called Bob's costomer service and they weren't really much help. Just that the duallie doesn't have an adpter bar!