PDA

View Full Version : Just peed myself

mytwosons
06-27-2011, 09:46 AM
F@&#*$! I just had a sneezing fit and leaked some urine. Did I mention I'm at WORK?

g-mama
06-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Ugh. This happens to me a lot. I feel your pain.

DebbieJ
06-27-2011, 09:51 AM
So sorry! Ask you doc for a referral to women's physical therapy. You'll be so glad you did.

I did the PT and now I hardly leak at all.

hillview
06-27-2011, 12:52 PM
BTDT -- it will get better do kiegels. I've also realized that if I THINK I need to pee -- GO PEE. DO NOT hold it.
/hillary

brittone2
06-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Like a PP, my mom really benefitted from pelvic floor physical therapy.

Toba
06-27-2011, 01:25 PM
I have also done this as well, and depending where you are, it really, really stinks. I used to have an emergency kit at work with stuff like toothpaste and a toothbrush, a few prescription pills for migraines, etc., but of course, I would never leave a fresh pair of underwear in there!!

My OB/GYN has signs in the bathroom asking about bladder health (you have to give a urine sample each time he sees you, so while you're sitting there willing yourself to go, there's nothing but those signs to read ... lol) ... asking about if you leak urine when you laugh or sneeze and things like that. He medicates in those situations because I believe it's considered mild incontinence.

I've also noticed that if I stretch really hard sometimes, a little urine comes out like it's been sitting in my urethra for a while.

lovin2shop
06-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Sorry, I definitely feel your pain! I actually keep an extra pair of panties in my desk. I often think that I better not get fired, because if it's like in the movies, someone else will clean out my desk and really wonder exactly I got fired for doing!

Beth24
06-27-2011, 01:33 PM
So sorry! Ask you doc for a referral to women's physical therapy. You'll be so glad you did.

I did the PT and now I hardly leak at all.

Like a PP, my mom really benefitted from pelvic floor physical therapy.

Not to hijack but what does PT for this issue entail?

mytwosons
06-27-2011, 02:48 PM
BTDT -- it will get better do kiegels. I've also realized that if I THINK I need to pee -- GO PEE. DO NOT hold it.
/hillary

I thought about emptying my bladder about 30 mins prior to the incident, but got busy and didn't. D@mmit.

I don't think I'm at the point of PT; I hardly ever leak urine. I think this was my body's way of reminding me I haven't been doing my squats.

I've never had this happen outside of the house before. It's definitely incentive for me to keep up on the squats and kegels!

I've spent the day running to the bathroom every hour. :rotflmao:

brittone2
06-27-2011, 03:45 PM
PT would work on core strength (because this can impact your pelvic floor), pelvic floor strength, "kegels" but done more optimally (they can use things like biofeedback, where they hook electrodes up and it will tell you how much "output" your muscles are giving. It is a good way to realize what is a "good" kegel and what is not (many women think they are doing them properly but substitute other muscles, aren't using the right muscles, etc.). Some PTs use vaginal weights. Sometimes they work on muscle imbalances.

if you go to the APTA's website on women's health they have some patient info and a resource for finding a PT in your area specializing in women's health. That said, there are lots of PTs that do women's health that are not on their site. You can try calling different outpatient practices and ask if they have someone experienced in women's health/pelvic floor PT. If they don't, ask if they know who is good in the area. Some PTs take just a weekend type course on this, others do a substantial portion of their caseload in women's health. Obviously you'd want to feel out how much experience they had w/ women's health.

http://www.womenshealthapta.org/plp/index.cfm

My mom was seeing a urogynecologist who wanted her to do the sling surgery, but I encouraged her to try a women's health PT first and she's soooo happy with the outcome. It doesn't work for everyone, but there are concerns w/ the mesh used for some sling surgeries, etc. and that can be a problem too. PT takes time but I think many women (not all) really do get relief and end up glad they did it.

They can also help with pelvic pain, etc.

DebbieJ
06-27-2011, 03:45 PM
/hillary

My physical therapist actually encouraged me NOT to do this. You have to train your bladder to wait as long as you possibly can.

DebbieJ
06-27-2011, 03:50 PM
I first saw a urogynecologist, who then referred me to her preferred physical therapist. Thankfully she was one on my insurance plan.

Therapy did include some "internal" work--the therapist inserted gloved fingers in my vagina to gauge my vaginal strength and to check on progress. I would have to do kegels while her fingers were in there. I mention this first because people often get the idea in their head that this is all womens physical therapy is and become uncomfortable even thinking about it as a result. It's really not a big deal.

For the rest of the time, we did lots of different exercises, usually while doing kegels. We would do squats and I would have to kegel as I stood up--that type of thing. We did some great exercises to also strengthen my hips. As Beth mentioned, a lot of exercises around pelvic floor and core. It all works together.

The key was learning to do kegels correctly. I just explained it to my sister who is 6 months post partum and having leaking issues and it turns out she wasn't doing them quite effectively as she could have been.

ETA: Another big thing for me has been cutting out soda. The caffeine and carbonation are horrible for you and your bladder health.

Beckylove
06-27-2011, 04:39 PM
I've been kegeling while reading this thread!

Any tips on doing them correctly? I'm 7 weeks post partum and could use some help.

TIA!

DebbieJ
06-27-2011, 04:52 PM
I've been kegeling while reading this thread!

Any tips on doing them correctly? I'm 7 weeks post partum and could use some help.

TIA!

The most basic advice I can give you--pull up and think of pulling your labia closed. Just squeezing is not enough. Try NOT to engage your abs or glutes.

lhafer
06-27-2011, 05:02 PM
My physical therapist actually encouraged me NOT to do this. You have to train your bladder to wait as long as you possibly can.

I have a problem with leaking as well. But my problem isn't when I a full bladder, it's usually when I sneeze right AFTER going to the bathroom. My bladder is 95% empty. I go to the bathroom. And a little while later I will sneeze and a little comes out. I go back to the bathroom to pee - and a tiny bit comes out. I try to do kegels. I don't know what else to do. This is especially been an issue since DD2. And ever since her birth I am wondering if I tore *up* as well. I did have a slight tear with her and required some stitches, but my OB didn't mention anything about tearing upward. Other things ahve been different to make me think this as well...

essnce629
09-12-2011, 02:33 AM
I bought the GyneFlex program recently and most of the women in the reviews said their incontinence problems were solved after just one week.

GyneFlex
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EK896W

I've never had any problems with incontinence or anything, but I found out about GyneFlex when I was reasearching products for my friend who is having incontinence problems and it sounded like a great program for everyone (and the reviews are great) so I ordered it (since I have an Amazon addiction)! After starting it I immediately found out that my pelvic floor muscles are no where near as strong as they can be! In just one week I noticed a difference and was able to move up to the next stregth in the regular kit (pink). I can't wait to move on to the firm strength (blue)!!! It only takes 15-20 minutes a day and even if I only do it once a week or so I notice the next time that my muscles are stronger.

Here's more info from the GyneFlex website:
http://www.gyneflex.com/