PDA

View Full Version : Purging clothes: store or give away?

Aishe
06-27-2011, 10:54 PM
We are moving this week and I am purging clothes from my closet. I have been a SAHM for the past two years, and while I do not have plans to return to work for at least a couple more years, it's of course possible that life will throw a curveball and I'll need to find a job. When I worked I had a sort of uniform: basic trousers (usually Martin fit from BR) and non-iron shirts from Eddie Bauer or Brooks Brothers. Not exciting, but it worked. So now I'm trying to decide if I should keep any of this stuff. I will hang onto my favorites of the pants because I do still wear them on occasion. But the shirts I never really loved and I'm wondering if I should just give them to Goodwill. On the other hand, I worry that I might have to go back to work under dire circumstances (I am a champion worrier!) and if that's the case I will probably be glad to have my "uniform" handy. The shirts are a pretty classic button-down style, so I'm guessing they won't look dated, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Thoughts? Our new house has very limited closet space so I would have to store the shirts in the garage.

kristenk
06-27-2011, 10:58 PM
If I were in your position, I'd try to hold on to a couple of pairs of pants and a few shirts. Basically enough to get you started in the workplace again. You're most likely not going to need them so I wouldn't keep much, but, if you do need work clothes before you think you will, having a little bit of a head start would be good.

waitingforgrace
06-27-2011, 11:06 PM
If I were in your position, I'd try to hold on to a couple of pairs of pants and a few shirts. Basically enough to get you started in the workplace again. You're most likely not going to need them so I wouldn't keep much, but, if you do need work clothes before you think you will, having a little bit of a head start would be good.

:yeahthat: i'd definitely keep some of the pants and maybe a few shirts but even in a pinch shirts are pretty easy to replace and there are very affordable options so I wouldn't keep many.