PDA

View Full Version : question about a dress.

AnnieW625
06-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Have you ever re worn a dress that you have had a bad memory of?

I have this great berry red dress (http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=1ac1b1c&DeptID=70656&CatID=80145&SO=0&SelDim=8%7e&x5view=1&NOffset=0&Ne=4294957900+5+29+3+8+1031+1066+18+904+833+949&shopperType=G&N=4294936942+916&Nao=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=70656|80145)** I wore in Jan. 2009 to a wedding, I was 12 weeks pregnant with the baby we lost. I was just perusing the dresses at the Boden sale site and honestly since I am trying to lose weight I don't want to invest in a dress I really like like this one (http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Dresses/Knee-Length-Dresses/WH261-BLU/Womens-Storm-Sun-Downer-Dress.html?NavGroupID=4) if there is a chance I'll only every wear it once (in 12 weeks for another wedding, and I could be down a size by then:praying:) I was thinking that I could wear the same dress from the 2009 wedding again in October because I already have it and I really do like it. I have worn it to a cocktail event since and it didn't phase me then, but for some reason rewearing to a wedding (only my immediate family and sis' boyfriend will see me in the dress again) strikes a chord with me.

**I highly recommend this dress, (and a great JC Penney find) if you need one because it is super comfortable and I believe in the store they keep it in other colors. Another friend wore it to the Jan. 09 wedding in a pretty teal blue.

sariana
06-28-2011, 02:41 PM
I totally understand your desire not to buy new when you're hoping for a new size. And I also can see your concern about the associations with the dress.

Since you say you really like the dress, do you think altering it just slightly might be enough to make it seem like a different dress to you? Maybe adding some embroidery or a scarf or--I don't know, I'm not a sew-er!--something else?

ETA: I just looked at the link--that is a great dress!

KathyN115
06-28-2011, 06:35 PM
I agree- nice dress!

I had a miscarriage before I was pregnant with DD. I started bleeding while out of town at a wedding. I remember exactly what I was wearing. Well, 2 years later I wore the same dress for my DD's first birthday. I would wear it again, but it doesn't fit anymore.

Go for it!!!

weech
06-28-2011, 07:18 PM
I say go for it! Maybe try to do something new with the dress - a different kind of shoe or accessories? I own the same one and I adore it - makes me feel like Marilyn Monroe :love-retry:

TwinFoxes
06-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Honestly, I could see myself going either way on this...I might just think "eh, I love this dress, I'll wear it" or just as easily not being able to do it.

That Boden dress is SUPER cute! I've bought two new summery dresses from them, and worn each once...just no occasion to anymore. But I'm still tempted by that. I do see that selection is small, so you should buy it fast if you're going to!

TwinFoxes
06-28-2011, 07:26 PM
BTW, if you order through Mr. Rebates, you get 10% off + free shipping/returns. I don't know if it's good on sale items or not, but everything's on sale so it seems like it would be.

mackmama
06-28-2011, 07:59 PM
I have done both - worn a dress that has an associated bad memory and chosen not to wear something with such a memory. I think it's great if you can "seize the dress" and infuse it with new memories - and I also think it's okay if you can't or choose not to.

boltfam
06-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Honestly, I could see myself going either way on this...I might just think "eh, I love this dress, I'll wear it" or just as easily not being able to do it.

That Boden dress is SUPER cute! I've bought two new summery dresses from them, and worn each once...just no occasion to anymore. But I'm still tempted by that. I do see that selection is small, so you should buy it fast if you're going to!

:yeahthat: You can always get the Boden dress taken in when you lose the weight, too.

cvanbrunt
06-29-2011, 03:05 PM
I wore a beautiful skirt and sweater to my mom's visitation in 2005. This last fall I wore it again for the first time since then. I was okay wearing it but I can see how you could go either way. The berry dress is lovely. You could save the money for the Boden dress and put it towards some killer shoes to wear with the berry dress in October............

mecawa
06-29-2011, 06:38 PM
I've done both. I had an outfit I couldn't wear again and donated (just too many bad memories/feelings) and I've also had an outfit I had those same kind of feelings for and just said "it's just an outfit" and wore it and been fine. So I think it depends on how you really feel deep down. If you've worn the dress since then, then maybe it'll be a little easier. It's an AWESOME dress!!!!! That Boden dress is really gorgeous to though. Looks wise you can't go wrong either way, so I think it all depends on how you think you will feel.