PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for shortening?

jgenie
06-29-2011, 01:57 PM
I have a recipe for biscuits that we love but it calls for shortening. Is there a healthier ingredient I could substitute? If so, what ratio? TIA

ETA: I have olive oil, coconut oil, and butter.

nrp
06-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Spectrum makes a non-hydrogenated shortening made with palm oil that you might consider. I've used it and it behaves just like crisco.

As for what you have on hand, definitely go with the butter, 1-to-1. Straight from the fridge, cut up into little pieces, and work it through your dry biscuit ingredients - or you can pulse it in the food processor a few times until it resembles cornmeal. You want to avoid it melting before you bake, to make the biscuits flaky.

This is making me hungry!

jgenie
06-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Spectrum makes a non-hydrogenated shortening made with palm oil that you might consider. I've used it and it behaves just like crisco.

As for what you have on hand, definitely go with the butter, 1-to-1. Straight from the fridge, cut up into little pieces, and work it through your dry biscuit ingredients - or you can pulse it in the food processor a few times until it resembles cornmeal. You want to avoid it melting before you bake, to make the biscuits flaky.

This is making me hungry!

Sorry if it's obvious but do I pulse the butter alone or all the dry ingredients together? TIA

SnuggleBuggles
06-29-2011, 03:07 PM
I only use butter. Biscuits-mix the dry ingredients then add the pieces of butter and pulse.

Beth

essnce629
06-29-2011, 03:10 PM
I use butter too. It works just the same.

nrp
06-29-2011, 03:10 PM
I only use butter. Biscuits-mix the dry ingredients then add the pieces of butter and pulse.

Beth

:yeahthat: Pulse them all together, but leave out the milk/buttermilk and add that after the dry ingredients and butter are combined.