PDA

View Full Version : Help, my supply is dipping!

persephonefalls
06-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Hey folks,

My daughter is currently ten months old, and we're still (hopefully) going strong with the breastfeeding. She eats solids now too, so we're down to three feedings a day. I feed her before work in the morning, and before bed when I get home, and I pump once during the day (and my husband gives her one bottle during the day.)

Up until last week, I was regularly getting 5-7 oz during my daytime pumping. And then, last Monday, I started getting 4 oz and only 4 oz. I tried pumping longer, I tried augmenting with a handpump, I drink TONS of water during the day--and still, I am stubbornly getting only 4 oz.

I have also noticed that my daughter seems to eat quicker than she used to when I am actually feeding her. Is that because my supply has gone down, so there isn't as much to eat? Because she is just a more efficient eater (she used to be SO slow)? Or because she just doesn't need as much from me now that she's getting food from other sources?

Edit: No AF yet--I'm still on the minipill, and have been since my daughter was born! I am planning to go off at the end of this cycle, though...

So my questions are:

1. Why did my supply dip? Literally nothing changed in my behavior, eating habits, etc, so I am baffled.

2. What can I do to bring my supply back to what it was--or at the very least, make sure it doesn't dip further?

3. Is my daughter starting to wean herself? My plan was to feed her to at least a year, and then re-evaluate, so I hope not :(.

4. Any other tips or suggestions for keeping us going strong to a year or further?

Thanks!

babyonway
06-30-2011, 11:12 AM
I am not sure why your suppy dipped but I know how frustrating that can be. One thing you may want to do is pump in the morning and then another pumping during the work day. That should increase your supply.

My understanding is that as babies get older they become more efficient eater so they are not on the breast as long. They are still getting what they need but it does not take as long. Also, are you in a quiet place when you nurse? My DD gets distracted by everything and pulls off the breast if someone comes in the room, speaks etc. So that may explain why your DD stops the session short, if she gets distracted.

I think you should pump in the AM after your LO nurses as well. When I nurse in the AM and then pump I still get probably 8 oz even after my DD nurses. That is when my breasts are most full so you need to trick your body into thinking the demand is higher. Also with the extra pumping during the day if possible. Would your work schedule allow that?

Momto1
06-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Is AF coming soon? Sometimes supply can dip around that time. Have you done maintenance on your pump? If it is a Medela, you should be replacing the white flappy thingies on the valves every three months or so.

I definitely do not think she is weaning at this age. Most kids won't self-wean until at least 18 months, anything before that is usually considered a nursing strike, which it doesn't seem like you're going through.

How many times does she nurse when you're together? I love this resource because it really helped me put my mind to ease when DD stopped drinking milk at daycare: http://www.mother-2-mother.com/samplemenus.htm It says that a 10-month old should be nursing at least 4 times in a 24-hour period. So if you send the 4 ounces that you pump with her to daycare, you can nurse her three times at home and that is considered "enough." IIRC, at 10 months, I was sending DD to daycare with 6 oz of EBM, but I don't think she actually drank it all. She was a heavy reverse cycler, so she made up for it over night.

Anyway, long story short:
- If you are getting AF, the dip in supply should be temporary, but you can take a calcium/magnesium supplement to help with the hormonal effects: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/natural-treatments.html#calcium
- Check to see if your pump is working/maintained properly
- There is a chance that your DD is just getting more efficient at the breast and is nursing less because she's eating more solids, which leads you to produce less milk (usually the change in your supply would be more gradual, which leads me to believe that it might be something else). Check the sample menu I linked to above to make sure she's getting the right balance of solids/bm for her age.
- Are you eating oatmeal regularly? I ate oatmeal daily and drank mother's milk tea daily while I was still pumping.

Good luck!

Momto1
06-30-2011, 11:27 AM
I think you should pump in the AM after your LO nurses as well. When I nurse in the AM and then pump I still get probably 8 oz even after my DD nurses. That is when my breasts are most full so you need to trick your body into thinking the demand is higher. Also with the extra pumping during the day if possible. Would your work schedule allow that?

Mama, pumping 8oz after nursing is a ridiculously high amount! Kudos to you, but OP, please don't feel like you should be pumping 8 oz after nursing.

Just came across another good link for you, OP: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html

babyonway
06-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Mama, pumping 8oz after nursing is a ridiculously high amount! Kudos to you, but OP, please don't feel like you should be pumping 8 oz after nursing.

Just came across another good link for you, OP: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html

Oh I am so sorry I didn't want to say that what I get is what it should be compared to at all. Sorry if it seemed like that... For a while there I was not pumping hardly anything at all and I had to increase my pumping and nursing sessions a TON to get as much milk that I get. I was lucky that my job is flexible with pumping and allowing me to pump.

No no no please don't feel like you should be getting 8 oz after nursing. My point was that my DD doesn't empty the breast after the AM feeding session and my recommendation was to pump after to ensure that her breasts were emptied.

citymama
06-30-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm sorry you're going through this - I'm on a deadline, but I wanted to share this thread that I started last month with the same crisis:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=401901

I'm happy to report my supply has picked back up - I hope yours does too!

sunnyside
06-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Hugs, I posted some things in citymamas thread too. I"m also working like crazy, but will check back in later. :hug5:

alirebco
06-30-2011, 03:54 PM
I would add back in a nursing session to be honest. At 10 months, her main source of nutrition should still be breastmilk or formula not food.

Having her nurse more will increase your supply. It does sound like maybe AF is coming soon though? Of course you can't know that ahead of time.

daisymommy
07-01-2011, 10:32 AM
I would add back in a nursing session to be honest. At 10 months, her main source of nutrition should still be breastmilk or formula not food.

Having her nurse more will increase your supply.

:yeahthat: Three feedings a day is not enough at all. It's honestly a wonder she is not dehydrated (unless she is drinking water and it wasn't mentioned). I would add in a couple nursing/pumping sessions and I'll bet your supply will increase.

Schmitty21
07-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Just curious to hear how it's going, persephonefalls?

There certainly seems to be a trend of babies around this age nursing for less time coupled with a dip in supply. I have been following a few other Mamas on here with the same issues, including me!

To echo the others, 2 pumping sessions should help. I once read that to maintain supply, it's about the amount of milk moving *through* you, not saving up a lot in one batch. You probably know that, but the moving through part helps me visualize.

My DS is 10.5 months and has milk 4x/day. 2 are bottles at daycare (4 or 5 oz/ea), and then an AM and PM nursing. He has been doing a bit of reverse cycling, so wakes up every 2 or 3 nights for a feeding.

It was/is hard for me to find that balance between solids and milk, but unless her diapers are regularly dry, she's probably not dehydrated.

Good luck and hang in there! Sounds like you've done a great job so far!